Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim - Bethesda, you should be very, very proud.

Thrasher

Erudite
Re: Dragonbreak or how Skyrim broke dragon

DraQ said:
characters can be recognized as people, not rotten potatoes.

LOL!

BTW, the interface becomes not a total fuck, if you refrain from using your mouse entirely. Use WASD and enter/tab and it becomes usable. Awkward at first, but at least completely responsive and precise. It is without a doubt the most mouse unfriendly game I've played (although the latest 1.2 patch supposedly fixes some mouse UI behavior, it breaks a massive amount of other stuff).

DraQ

Arcane

Thrasher said:
It is without a doubt the most mouse unfriendly game I've played (although the latest 1.2 patch supposedly fixes some mouse UI behavior, it breaks a massive amount of other stuff).
Skyrim interface is the worst thing ever.

This includes both world wars, bubonic plague and ebola.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

DraQ said:
Skyrim interface is the worst thing ever.

This includes both world wars, bubonic plague and ebola.

Or you could not play shit action games.

Seems the interfaces matches the game completely. ;)

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Yeah, it's awful, it's a throwback to the time when games didn't have mouse support. More than 20 years of technology and here we are back to navigating through lists and a shitload of menus with the keyboard arrows.

flushfire

Augur
Then you get to the perk constellation minigame, where you have to figure out the correct order of directions to press to see perks in detail. press the wrong direction and you start from scratch.

Black Cat

Magister
I have a question about ways to power level your magic. I did manage to find ways to power level restoration, alteration, conjuration, and destruction up, but how the bloody beep do you power level illusion up? Atronachs and zombies are immune to illusion spells! Does it raise if you use Courage on a companion outside of combat? Did someone find a way to do it or am I damned to not using those spells at all?

flushfire said:
Then you get to the perk constellation minigame, where you have to figure out the correct order of directions to press to see perks in detail. press the wrong direction and you start from scratch.

Or just click with your mouse on the star/perk you want to go.

Black Cat said:
I have a question about ways to power level your magic. I did manage to find ways to power level restoration, alteration, conjuration, and destruction up, but how the bloody beep do you power level illusion up? Atronachs and zombies are immune to illusion spells! Does it raise if you use Courage on a companion outside of combat? Did someone find a way to do it or am I damned to not using those spells at all?
Muffle.

Thrasher

Erudite
Multiple Sarcasm said:
Black Cat said:
Muffle.

also, Clairvoyance.

Gerrard

Arcane
The best thing about the UI is picking dialogue lines and having something completely different than what you highlighted be chosen when you press the button.

Get your fucking Flash shit out of my games.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
FeelTheRads said:
If there's anyone who keeps anything alive it's...

...you! If there's anyone who keeps anything alive it's you, FeelTheRads! You're the winning!

attackfighter

Magister
Thrasher said:
Multiple Sarcasm said:
Black Cat said:
Muffle.

also, Clairvoyance.

Actually I don't think clairvoyance works. I tested it a bit when the game came out and it never brought me any closer to levelling illusion. Perhaps a patch changed it though.

tennishero

Novice
Oblivion- oh sweet misunderstood gem of a game you are

on release every morrowind nuthugger hated you with spite

every single aspect of your design was dissected and critiqued unlike any other game before

and yet- in the 5 years since, no one else has made a game anywhere near as good (with the exception of fallout:NV)

going back to oblivion, revisting the past you find

1. its aged wonderfully well- the gamebryo engine- hated by many, loved by others- is still very much an excellent piece of kit- easily outliving the vastly inferior source engine- that was heralded as the best engine around

2. only now- 5 years on, can people appreciate that you weren't as dumbed down as has been suggested- there is a vast magnificent story in there- the excecution was slightly off- but the ideas were inspired

3. morrowind had such an amazing art design that no other game was going to live upto it- and the choices made (roman inspired empire) were more miss than hit- inspite of this- looking back now, you can see that... actually the empire and rome were very similiar and it does fit in rather well

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gerrard said:
The best thing about the UI is picking dialogue lines and having something completely different than what you highlighted be chosen when you press the button.

Get your fucking Flash shit out of my games.

That's because the mouse or keyboard is highlighting a different entry than you are selecting with your mouse or keyboard. Honestly it would improve the UI if they would remove mouse support, since it's so keyboard(gamepad) focused. Tons of people would explode with rage if they ever thought of doing that though.

On topic: I like the game. I don't think it's an amazing improvement in any area specifically, but it has a lot of little improvements over a wide area. The biggest incline is probably writing, which doesn't feel like 3rd grade story time this go-around like Oblivion did. The world is a little better, combat is a little better, immersion is a little better, etc. etc. Quests might be a little worse, oddly. Stats... they actually make you choose between things this time, which means more actual roleplaying, so I have to give them props for that. Still, the system is kind of meh overall.

I like the game though. Not nearly as much as I liked New Vegas, but much more than I liked Fallout 3 and Oblivion. Morrowind is still their best game though, IMO.

Mortmal

Arcane
Black Cat said:

flushfire said:

Or just click with your mouse on the star/perk you want to go.
Using magic has been frustrating in tes games since oblivion and sadly it doesnt change in skyrim, while playing as a warrior youll get plenty of wonderful weapons,armors, dadera uniques stuffies , on the mage side it really pale, one or two good staves,a bathrobe, maybe some mecklace for more mana points.
its so much better done in darksouls, look at all the very different sets , set you had to switch for strategic fights, like a full poison ressit for exemple.Much more choices too
3de75d97d2953563.JPEG

20735fcbb0f879a4.JPEG

I ended up barely using magic at all, and yet i am still accepted in the mage academy, i diddnt even have to pass the entry test :lol: .
I am the dragon born child or something like that , let me enter ! one shout later i am in.One fire spell to melt the ice, one ice spell to extnguish the fire ? I rush with my 2H axe across a few dungeons supposedly designed for mages, and voila , archmage!
Next ill be butchering my way through thief quest stealth missions, and voila guildmaster!

DraQ

Arcane
flushfire said:
It's still the nicest and least obtrusive part of Skyrim's interface.
:troll:
Mortmal said:
Using magic has been frustrating in tes games since oblivion and sadly it doesnt change in skyrim
It does. Mages tend to use many different spells for many different purposes, so they end up switching spells a lot.
Skyrim doesn't have next/previous spell functionality from Morrowind, nor hotkeys from Morrowind/Oblivion, meaning the as a mage you will get to experience game's wonderful and innovative menus about a dozen times more often than as a skullbasher.
Problem, spellfags?

I rush with my 2H axe across a few dungeons supposedly designed for mages, and voila , archmage!
Gee, I see ditching levitation and waterwalk has really paid off bethesda.

Mortmal

Arcane
DraQ said:
It does. Mages tend to use many different spells for many different purposes, so they end up switching spells a lot.
Skyrim doesn't have next/previous spell functionality from Morrowind, nor hotkeys from Morrowind/Oblivion, meaning the as a mage you will get to experience game's wonderful and innovative menus about a dozen times more often than as a skullbasher.
Problem, spellfags?

It has hotkeys, just have to favorite them and press your keyboard number, its just well hiddeen and not explained anywhere, thats very surprising when they even explain you how to walk.
As for switching spells , one destructive spell and you are good to go, i dont requires any switching, and then again charging in and powerattacking with 2H axe is all of the strategy required in skyrim.Oh you have options, you could stealth and shoot arrows , you could use small an faster weapon,, all of this less efficient.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Gotta say DraQ, that comment about missing hotkeys was almost Skyway-like in its ignorace.

I found switching between two spells, drawing your sword, switching to a shout and then using a power to flow more freely than in both Morrowind and Oblivion.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom