Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Skyrim - Bethesda, you should be very, very proud.

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Twinfalls, Nov 22, 2011.

1. Phelot Arcane

Phelot
    Huh? Pretty sure I've seen VD and Twinfalls duke it out before.

^ Top  
  2. ~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T Arcane Patron

~*´¨¯¨`*·~-.¸-AIN'T
    Serpent in the Staglands Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I dunno, I'd say the importance of the Comonna Tong in both the Thieves and Fighters guild plotlines would count. I guess it's not explicitly a Dunmer vs. outsiders thing, but that's basically what the Comonna Tong is all about, so...

^ Top  
  3. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    Another shitty thread dedicated to a shittyy game by shitty Betehsda so why am I so shitty that I decided to post so shittly in this shitty thread/ Why oh why Codex do you make everything and everyone shit even shitty 'ol me?

P.S. Skyrim is an ES game which means it autosucks and is worse than FO:LV.

^ Top  
  4. Bruticis Guest

Bruticis
    Fixed it for you.

^ Top  
  5. Volourn Pretty Princess Pretty Princess

Volourn
    What does BIO have to do with SKyrim or FO:LV? R00fles!

Not everything has to do with that company, you biowhore.

^ Top  
  6. Xor Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Xor
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
    :what:

^ Top  
  7. attackfighter Magister

attackfighter
    Yes, give into your hate, feel your anger! Soon your journey to the dark side shall be complete.

^ Top  
  8. villain of the story Arcane

villain of the story
    MCA
    VD said Skyrim isn't an RPG. Why? Because the character system is poor and there are no attributes. LOL. That and he had a generally poor understanding of what perks do and don't, probably because he wasn't interested.

^ Top  
  9. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    Last time I checked, doing several vertical loops followed by a few horizontal squiggles was completely pointless when tunneling from A to B.

It's nice that you can lost in DF dungeons (and, contrary to what some say they do have stuff like sleeping or even livestock holding areas), but pointless spaghetti of corridors doing needless loops wasn't really a highlight of DF dungeoneering, neither was the lack of diversity.

As for linear dungeons with shortcuts at the end they are a pet peeve of mine. Not necessarily if they are used sparingly, but when it becomes a rule it's fucking retarded.
    :x

^ Top  
  10. Mortmal Arcane

Mortmal
    Yeah but after how many hours , 40, 50 ? No surprise you get sick of it after playing that and only that so many hours in a row.
    Now we can only hope obsidian make skyrim expansion pack or something, i am not expecting good dungeons and a new campaign from modders except maybe the nehrim guys.

^ Top  
  11. Crispy Don't get old. Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Eh, for the record my guy's only like level 16 or something. I'd bet I only have about 20 hours invested so far.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. The Wizard Educated

The Wizard
    so you'd rather walk through the empty dungeon again? remember, "no recall or intervention can work in this place".

so i rather like the convenient exits.

and if we're already on the topic of shit design

[​IMG]
    that bethesda can't into ladders was already known, but i think these people don't even know those things exist.

not that you really needed a ladder to get up there. i mean you could just climb. those are barely two meters for christs sake!

^ Top  
  13. DraQ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

DraQ
    No, I'd rather have dungeons that are designed as actual places, not as linear roller-coasters with separate entrances and exits that only miss a ticket booth and some fuck selling baloons at the entrance.
    :rpgcodex:

^ Top  
  14. The Wizard Educated

The Wizard
    well, most of them have the excuse of being caves or ancient burrows. forts are no longer a->b like they were in oblivion, and some of them now even are occupied by legion(or become occupied by legion when you clear them out, which was a nice touch i thought).

^ Top  
  15. Roguey Codex Staff Sawyerite

Roguey
    I don't need to look inside a garbage can to know there's garbage inside. Things Bethesda needs to do to pique my interest: Steal from Arkane and From Software, remove essential NPCs almost entirely. Have they done that yet? Nope, not interested in their crap then.

^ Top  
  16. Xi Arcane

Xi
    I'm not going to make a bullet list, but I think that Skyrim and Oblivion are quite different. Sure, they share similarities, all the TES games do, but ultimately it's quite a step away from the design choices made in OB.

^ Top  
  17. Jason chasing a bee

Jason
    This is the weirdest fucking thread I've ever seen on the Codex. And I've seen more than a few weird fucking threads in my day.

^ Top  
  18. Twinfalls Erudite

Twinfalls
    Just on the ideological comfort-blanket of refusing to say anything good about Todd Howard - there are a number of ways TES could have gone after Daggerfall. Ultima fans - should Todd have aped Richard Garriott's sterling success with that gameworld? Might and Magic fans - enjoying what's become of that series? You Wizardry guys - having a blast with the latest incarnation?

The fact is that Howard has kept TES alive, made it massively profitable (he's an employee of a company, in case anyone's forgotten), and has now steered it clear of the utter craven dumbfuckery that happened to Gothic for example.

Oblivion was an epic abomination. Skyrim is a great game. It's a better game than Morrowind, and its art and tech are miles ahead of Daggerfall. It's kept the interesting lore and backstory of both. Picking out one gripe here or there (dungeons are linear!) just doesn't cut it.

^ Top  
  19. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Pointless argument no sane person give a shit about -> Bethard detected.

You mean Wizardry 8? :retarded:

^ Top  
  20. Tycn Savant

Tycn
    He's keeping Fallout alive, too. Or at least lukewarm.

^ Top  
  21. Clockwork Knight Arcane

Clockwork Knight
    She probably means this one

^ Top  
  22. FeelTheRads Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    He's keeping shit. He's just yet another talentless hack along with all the other braindead monkeys at Bethesda who shouldn't ever be allowed to design a game.
    If there's anyone who keeps anything alive it's the suits at Zenimax.

^ Top  
  23. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    We have seem lamentations and praise for Skyrim. Best RPG of the year hands-down(Witcher 2 a distant second)

Windows XP 32-bit is STILL UNPLAYABLE AND BROKEN. What confuses me is how easily fixable it is. You can fix it by running TESV.exe in high priority mode. They really couldn't figure this one out and make it run high priority by default? Major derp from their test and quality assurance departments. Allegedly there are similar issues on the XBOX360
    NPC banter talk is retarded, for example an NPC will say to my character who is archmage of the mage's college: "Did you hear about the mage's guild? Maybe you should join!"
    Dungeons can still be awful, but not as god-awful as Oblivion
    Voice-acting needs work, especially during cutscenes. This is especially evident in the INTRO scene where multiple NPCs are talking on a wagon. The conversation comes out as choppy and unbelievable, because all the VOs were taped separately.
    Combat animations execute even with models mis-aligned(Stradling a dragon's neck while you are actually 10 feet away)

^ Top  
  24. Teepo Scholar

Teepo
    Why does your portrait look so transsexual?

I'm sorry, but I don't trust transsexuals.

^ Top  
  25. SCO Arcane In My Safe Space

SCO
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Are you crying FeelTheRads?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.