Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim gameplay stream impressions.

Black

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Black said:
Dicksmoker said:
Honestly the only thing that would make sense for killing dragons would be something like Shadow of the Collosus (i.e. climb all over and find weaknesses). I'm not kidding. How else could you explain killing something so huge and well-armored?

I think you'd be able to kill a dragon of the size that are in skyrim with spears and crossbows.

Of course, there's a problem there...

That problem is going to be there no matter what you do. Its almost inevitable. I have tried to think of a solution for this and the only answer to killing mega-bosses (like dragons) can be either through a deus ex machina (waking up another creature that kills it) or some interactive weapon type like a ballista or something.

Have you seen skyrim dragons? They're not mega at all, just flying reptiles.

Captain Shrek

Black said:
Have you seen skyrim dragons? They're not mega at all, just flying reptiles.

If you read that correctly, i meant that they OUGHT to have been mega bosses.

Rhalle

Magister
I'm actually hyped to play Bethshit's latest sword-n-sorcery + horse-anus simulator/ sandbox adventure game.

Let it be known, though, that I find the dual-wielding everything and dragon shouts and endless dragons lame, though. It's so obviously a sop to the XXXTREME kiddie crowd.

But I have little doubt that Skyrim otherwise will be majestic for what it is.

If you read that correctly, i meant that they OUGHT to have been mega bosses.

Dragons are the new random Oblivion gates, and dragon souls are Sigils.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Dual wielding is p. cool, fuck the haters.

But it seems bethesda can't design shit again, apparently you can only attack with one weapon at a time. So what's the point of wielding two weapons?

DUAL WIELDING IS POPULAR I HATE IT

cup_o___fus_roh_dah__by_cheesemcbutter-d3lgoxi.jpg

Rhalle

Magister
Dicksmoker said:
Rhalle said:
horse-anus simulator
I'm curious as to how you arrived at this descriptor.

Back in the Oblivion discussion days here, someone praised the specular-mapped horse anus.

It has remained in my Bethesda lexicon since.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Surf Solar said:
Wasn't this guy in Oblivion as well?

As I recall, the player character becomes Sheogorath at the end of that expansion, so that should be the official Oblivion guy.

All those subhuman faces he had to deal with really worked a number on his nervous system.

malichaixx

Novice
Rhalle said:
Dicksmoker said:
Rhalle said:
horse-anus simulator
I'm curious as to how you arrived at this descriptor.

Back in the Oblivion discussion days here, someone praised the specular-mapped horse anus.

It has remained in my Bethesda lexicon since.

Sounds like a Slof special. she gave them cocks if I recall rightly.

She used to be a friend of mine until I hit a rough spot in life and she turned on me and went all uber-bitch.

I hope to fuck we won't be subjected to that fucking vampire freak of hers for Skyrim, not to mention the faggy mods.

zeitgeist

Magister
Excidium said:
Dual wielding is p. cool, fuck the haters.

But it seems bethesda can't design shit again, apparently you can only attack with one weapon at a time. So what's the point of wielding two weapons?
There are two dual wielding perks, one of which makes dual wielding strikes faster. Without the perk, it seems to be pretty pointless.

Multi-headed Cow

Rhalle said:
horse-anus simulator
oblivionhorseanal.jpg

Almost positive that was un-modded from my game, since I know I didn't install horse asshole mods on purpose at least.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
1) Annoying as fuck LPer. Shut the fuck up about how "badass" everything is. LOL DRAGONS, DUDE BRO!!!1 Once again Bethesda know their audience.

2) Clear scripting awkwardness when the player deviates from the predetermined path, with the "leader" NPCs apparently teleporting around to avoid the player actually taking initiative and ruining their precious intro sequence. Even when they turn the intro into Call of Duty they still can't get it right.

3) Yeah, take that goddamn Stormcloaks, because the first thing I do when a dragon attacks for the first time in centuries is start fighting with my rival faction for no goddamn reason. HARDCORE

4) Skyrim is "everything you wanted and more" because it has slow-motion kill animations and "amazing" graphics.

5) This leveling system is fucking absurd.
a) No tradeoffs whatsoever, only linear upgrades.
b) No special new abilities to unlock.
c) Leveling itself is performed on a giant star chart which takes forever to pan around and can only display a single perk at one time. But dude, it looks fucking awesome!!1

6) Just like Oblivion, a huge-ass tutorial dungeon and lengthy scripted, nose-dragging sequences await you. I mean, why take a page from Morrowind and integrate tutorials into the gameplay by gradually introducing new concepts and mechanics as they become relevant to the story, when you can just put up a bunch of giant text prompts and waste an hour of the player's time in the event he or she already knows how to play the game? Once again New Bethesda proves it knows absolutely fuck-all about game design and how to adequately use the open world it's created in intelligent ways.

I can't watch any fucking more of this. At first it was like a train wreck with that initial leaked video, then it was like watching a freak show, kind of a silent shock and awe at such a perversion of nature, and now it's just goddamn depressing to let it all sink in. Every single time Bethesda can introduce a plot point, mechanic or character, they do it in the absolutely worst, most amateurish way possible. Every single new addition reeks of prioritizing visuals and "awesomeness" over actual functionality, control, or gameplay. Long-standing problems in the series are left completely untouched in favor of superficial bullshit. I honestly have no fucking words for not just how pathetic this is.

Bethesda is a studio full of talentless hacks, PR men, morons, con-artists, and frauds. They have no claim to seniority, no claim to industry leadership, and no claim to design expertise or even competence. That anyone - other than their artists and audio guys - gets paid, hell, got fucking hired in the first place, is an insult to the human race.

ZeniBot

Cipher

Wow.. that was bad.

1. UI doesn't like White on White (shitty QA and UI design)
2. Ragdoll on dragon corpse (feels like the thing weighs like a feather- makes no sense)
3. Looting money ect from a Dragon.. when its internals are pure fire.. shouldn't that melt?! what the flying fuck?
4. player didn't take any damage.

However, the battle music is shitloads better than the crap they had in Oblivion, Morrowind and Fallout, but obviously this isn't something exclusive to Bethesda, anyone can get that quality of music.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom