Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim gameplay stream impressions.

Peter

Arcane
Stabwound said:
Any word on whether or not the PC version will have a different menu system? The XBawks one we see here looks insanely consolized and very awkward for use with a keyboard/mouse.

:pete:

Gord

Arcane
I've searched around a bit today and there's an interview from around july/august where Todd claimes that PC will get better textures but the same interface (which really seems to suck, they really managed to make an already badly consolized interface even worse). However allegedly on pc you will have smaller fonts and good use of keyboard (which means a few hotkeys I guess).

Now, question is if we can take that seriously, given the history of Bethesda.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Bahamut said:
and o yea the install is 5,2gb so we will be stuck with shitty console quality textures too, and yet i foresight CTDs and memory leaks

I don't complain. I have problem with HD space, chaos head will take few GB.

Comrade Goby

Magister
Project: Eternity
sea said:
1) Annoying as fuck LPer. Shut the fuck up about how "badass" everything is. LOL DRAGONS, DUDE BRO!!!1 Once again Bethesda know their audience.

2) Clear scripting awkwardness when the player deviates from the predetermined path, with the "leader" NPCs apparently teleporting around to avoid the player actually taking initiative and ruining their precious intro sequence. Even when they turn the intro into Call of Duty they still can't get it right.

3) Yeah, take that goddamn Stormcloaks, because the first thing I do when a dragon attacks for the first time in centuries is start fighting with my rival faction for no goddamn reason. HARDCORE

4) Skyrim is "everything you wanted and more" because it has slow-motion kill animations and "amazing" graphics.

5) This leveling system is fucking absurd.
a) No tradeoffs whatsoever, only linear upgrades.
b) No special new abilities to unlock.
c) Leveling itself is performed on a giant star chart which takes forever to pan around and can only display a single perk at one time. But dude, it looks fucking awesome!!1

6) Just like Oblivion, a huge-ass tutorial dungeon and lengthy scripted, nose-dragging sequences await you. I mean, why take a page from Morrowind and integrate tutorials into the gameplay by gradually introducing new concepts and mechanics as they become relevant to the story, when you can just put up a bunch of giant text prompts and waste an hour of the player's time in the event he or she already knows how to play the game? Once again New Bethesda proves it knows absolutely fuck-all about game design and how to adequately use the open world it's created in intelligent ways.

I can't watch any fucking more of this. At first it was like a train wreck with that initial leaked video, then it was like watching a freak show, kind of a silent shock and awe at such a perversion of nature, and now it's just goddamn depressing to let it all sink in. Every single time Bethesda can introduce a plot point, mechanic or character, they do it in the absolutely worst, most amateurish way possible. Every single new addition reeks of prioritizing visuals and "awesomeness" over actual functionality, control, or gameplay. Long-standing problems in the series are left completely untouched in favor of superficial bullshit. I honestly have no fucking words for not just how pathetic this is.

Bethesda is a studio full of talentless hacks, PR men, morons, con-artists, and frauds. They have no claim to seniority, no claim to industry leadership, and no claim to design expertise or even competence. That anyone - other than their artists and audio guys - gets paid, hell, got fucking hired in the first place, is an insult to the human race.

Dude the werewolf part is fucking badass bro.

I hope vampires have some sweetgame play perks unlike Oblivion where you just got night vision and an old face.

Peter

Arcane
I take it the werewolf gameplay was in the LP? Which vid(s)?

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Does anyone remember that they claimed the feauture of "snow will be dynamically piling wether how long it has been bad weather"? Can anyone confirm that this was just another lie? :smug:

Xi

Arcane
Surf Solar said:
Does anyone remember that they claimed the feauture of "snow will be dynamically piling wether how long it has been bad weather"? Can anyone confirm that this was just another lie? :smug:

Soil erosion, dynamic snow, who gives a flying fuck? Yep!

Stinger

Arcane
Yes it is another lie. One person playing the preview said something like how all snow does is paint an awful, incredibly pixelated plain white texture over everything and it looks like crap.

I don't have the source on me but it was mentioned here and it's from the TES forums I think.

Peter

Arcane
I remember reading somewhere about a tester writing how the 'dynamic snow' was just untextured white over objects. That was a while ago though, so I dunno if they've fixed that.

EDIT: Ninja'd :oops:

dbx

Arcane
Patron
Bahamut said:
Stabwound said:
Any word on whether or not the PC version will have a different menu system? The XBawks one we see here looks insanely consolized and very awkward for use with a keyboard/mouse.

Nah we will get same shitty interface,
and o yea the install is 5,2gb so we will be stuck with shitty console quality textures too, and yet i foresight CTDs and memory leaks

The texture bsa is only 1.3 gb, same for the meshes bsa.
Shitty textures indeed.

hanssolo

Educated
Gord said:
I've searched around a bit today and there's an interview from around july/august where Todd claimes that PC will get better textures but the same interface (which really seems to suck, they really managed to make an already badly consolized interface even worse). However allegedly on pc you will have smaller fonts and good use of keyboard (which means a few hotkeys I guess).

Now, question is if we can take that seriously, given the history of Bethesda.

Shitty interface is one of the few things mods will actually fix.

ZeniBot

Cipher
On the subject of snow, it doesn't build up over time, it is two states, on or off with a transition in between. From what I've seen though, it is possible to isolate snow in specific areas only so technically that is dynamic. Who'd have thought, Bethesda actually pulled off something Dynamic that actually was Dynamic lol. Shame their AI is still shit.

Gord

Arcane
hanssolo said:
Shitty interface is one of the few things mods will actually fix.

Hope your right, sure looks like lots more work to do this time around.

Has Darn shown up again on the Bethesda forums? He used to make good UI mods, but seems to have vanished several months ago...

Vb

Novice
Early reports suggest that the Infinite Quests™ are similar to the repeatable grind quests in WoW and other MMOs, with literally dozens of these miscellaneous quests available. It is unclear whether the much-touted Radiant Storytelling™ randomizes these repeatable quests or not.

On a related note, quite a few Skyrim evangelists are in support of these mundane "kill x animals/ collect y leather" quests since they allow a player to "roleplay the life of a hunter".

Peter

Arcane
Vb said:
Early reports suggest that the Infinite Quests™ are similar to the repeatable grind quests in WoW and other MMOs, with literally dozens of these miscellaneous quests available. It is unclear whether the much-touted Radiant Storytelling™ randomizes these repeatable quests or not.

On a related note, quite a few Skyrim evangelists are in support of these mundane "kill x animals/ collect y leather" quests since they allow a player to "roleplay the life of a hunter".

I'm not against this as long as all quests are not like this. If there are still hand-crafted sidequests, stuff like this can provide a bit of a nice distraction. Kinda like the hunting/gathering challenges in Red Dead Redemption.

Of course, how well they work in Skyrim remains to be seen.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Peter said:
Vb said:

I'm not against this as long as all quests are not like this. If there are still hand-crafted sidequests, stuff like this can provide a bit of a nice distraction. Kinda like the hunting/gathering challenges in Red Dead Redemption.

Of course, how well they work in Skyrim remains to be seen.
I agree, sometimes grindy fetch or collection quests are good depending on the type of game. In an open world setting for instance, you might need a way to advance a skill or make some money in order to move forward in the main plot, and structuring multiple tasks, quest chains, paths of progression, etc. together with one another is much better than just telling the player "go kill wolves for four hours." So long as main quests and too many side-quests don't succumb to this sort of design I have no problem with a few of this design. At the very least, being able to "role-play a hunter" does add some realism to the world even if you never touch that feature.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Atleast the PC version seems to be really better this time than the console versions, instead exactly the same like in previous games.

unbenannt1arubd.jpg

Rhalle

Magister
Higher quality sounds and perhaps about 50% bigger textures.

Just Googled and found that TH said in June that PC would have higher-res textures and PC modding tools.

I wonder if either (or both) of those are included in the box, and therefore are counted by your chart.

As always, Gamespot's review can be mined early:

http://www.gamespot.com/the-elder-scrol ... 618?page=1

No numerical score posted. Sounds buggy-- not that that's a surprise.

Another thing PC gamers get: Mods.

I cannot understand why anybody would EVER purchase a Zionmax/Bethstapo game with the intent of playing it on a console... I mean, come on, their games always needs modding to make them enjoyable. It's the law or something.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom