Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim gameplay stream impressions.

Twinkle

Liturgist
Early reports suggest that the Infinite Quests™ are similar to the repeatable grind quests in WoW and other MMOs

Just like in Arena/DF, Beth is staying true to its roots. :thumbsup:

Gord

Arcane
Rhalle said:
Higher quality sounds and perhaps about 50% bigger textures.

Don't forget higher quality meshes. PC truly is for the master race.

:thumbsup:

I still haven't seen a single screenshot that is confirmed to come from pc, though.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
So far I'm surprised at the lack of quality rage from all of the gameplay vids. Are there things that are actually good about them or is it just a lack on interest?

Gord

Arcane
Hey, cut them some slack.
They are raging since Skyrim has been announced.
It has been a truly epic majestic rage-marathon. Final spurt will come once they have played it 7 times.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
This is not rage. Oblivion was rage. This is just lukewarm speculation and silly inside jokes. The codex should do better. So, any real impressions on the various gameplay vids?

J_J_M

Educated
400mb larger textures makes almost no difference. The real texture mods are going to take up many gigabytes.

Better quality sounds is a good bonus though.

Gord

Arcane
Trash said:
Fuck graphics. Gimme some quality gameplay rage dammit.

Fuck this shit! The dragons are level-scaled!

:rage:

Like this?

Edit:
Or how about: WTF? Attributes gone?
:rage:

Just read the threads, there's enough raging about gameplay. But you do know that the game isn't really out yet?

Rhalle

Magister
Trash said:
This is not rage. Oblivion was rage. This is just lukewarm speculation and silly inside jokes. The codex should do better. So, any real impressions on the various gameplay vids?

All the old-school rage has spent itself, because Skyrim is obviously Oblivion II.

This time around the rudimentary button-mashing looks like it might be slightly more interesting with the introduction of the perks, however those end up working. The dumbed-down stats system sucks hard balls, of course. I'm sure Bethshit would remove the racial bonuses if they could-- but then there would be no reason for the races at all.

I think the dual-weilding focus is gay, and I don't like being forced into being a Dragonborn. And the plot-- oh the plot! The same fucking plot for every fantasy game now.

1. Mysterious Ancient Evil awakens.
2. Internecine strife in the land.
3. Chosen One arises and must navigate the factions in conflict in order to seek out and defeat the source of the Ancient Evil.

One thing that has surprised me is that there doesn't appear to be Fallout 3-styled psuedo-Bioware conversation trees, something I figured that would for sure be in Skyrim. It's just the topic-based linear stuff, like Oblivion.

Interestingly enough it appears there may be branching story paths based on your decisions, if the first 20 minutes of gameplay is any indication, since in the opening sequence you are forced into choosing between following a Nord escapee or an Imperial guard in your flight from the town that's under attack.

Aldebaran

Erudite
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Rhalle said:
3. Chosen One arises and must navigate the factions in conflict in order to seek out and defeat the source of the Ancient Evil.

You are just blinded by nostalgia. If you replayed those old games, that you supposedly like, with open eyes, you would see that modern stories are vastly superior to the ones found in old games. All you did back then was save the world from some big ev--... wait a minute.

Captain Shrek

Aldebaran said:
Rhalle said:

You are just blinded by nostalgia. If you replayed those old games, that you supposedly like, with open eyes, you would see that modern stories are vastly superior to the ones found in old games. All you did back then was save the world from some big ev--... wait a minute.

Exactly. But the thing that has changed is the DEPTH. The depth of characters, of plots and the quests. That's where the decline is. The problem most people face is that they are not trained to see these things (neither am I).

Gord

Arcane
Captain Shrek said:
Exactly. But the thing that has changed is the DEPTH. The depth of characters, of plots and the quests. That's where the decline is. The problem most people face is that they are not trained to see these things (neither am I).

Even back in the days those games have been few and far in between.
Maybe we just haven't been so fed up with it yet, or we didn't notice as much because it's much easier to be enthusiastic about something when you are younger.

Gamers in 20 years will say the same stuff about the games of the future.

Captain Shrek

Gord said:
Captain Shrek said:

Even back in the days those games have been few and far in between.
Maybe we just haven't been so fed up with it yet, or we didn't notice as much because it's much easier to be enthusiastic about something when you are younger.

Gamers in 20 years will say the same stuff about the games of the future.

Does it matter? I would give you examples from Fallout, Morrowind or BG1 where the Quest structure had a deep branching element. Such quests were abundant and had one thing leading to another. Someone could perhaps quantitate it and compare that with, say, DA2. That is the point. Same thing about the dialogue and the PC character. A well educated literary critic would tell you that dialogue in these games was richer(especially Deus EX and Planescape) than the modern games we usually play (except perhaps New Vegas). It wasn't simply about passing pop refs (make me assandwich), but rather densely packed with ideas, less redundant and quite sensitive to the characters and environment.

The point is that such things ARE in fact verifiably quantitative and were actually there in the older games.

[/i]

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Captain Shrek said:
Does it matter? I would give you examples from Fallout, Morrowind or BG1 where the Quest structure had a deep branching element. Such quests were abundant and had one thing leading to another. Someone could perhaps quantitate it and compare that with, say, DA2. That is the point. Same thing about the dialogue and the PC character. A well educated literary critic would tell you that dialogue in these games was richer(especially Deus EX and Planescape) than the modern games we usually play (except perhaps New Vegas). It wasn't simply about passing pop refs (make me assandwich), but rather densely packed with ideas, less redundant and quite sensitive to the characters and environment.
Morrowind and BG1 had quest branching? Must have missed that. Mask of the Betrayer has well-written dialogue and is pretty recent. Why are you comparing good games with shit like DA2?

Captain Shrek

thesisko said:
Captain Shrek said:
Morrowind and BG1 had quest branching? Must have missed that. Mask of the Betrayer has well-written dialogue and is pretty recent. Why are you comparing good games with shit like DA2?

Perhaps I was wrong about BG1. But Morrowind definitely some of the best quest branching I ever played. Now I forget this exactly, but there were following quests e.g.:

There was a quest about returning some Daedra's weapon that could branch out. There was the entire fighter's guild quests. There was the quest in Wizard's guild where you had to steal someone's notes. You could even get quests by reading books. That was a nice touch. The main quest itself had a nice branch (killing Vivec and stuff). All this was VERY innovative and cleverly done.

Also, the comparison with DA2? That was to make a point. DA2 has RUBBISH dialogue and that's the standard of RPG games today unfortunately. The writing for Deus Ex, Planescape is almost extinct.

Gord

Arcane
Well, maybe Skyrim has branching quests? Do we know yet?
Do you know yet? Have you played the game?

I think stuff like this is better discussed once the game is out for a few days and sufficient people have played it.

Will see. Not that I have such high hopes concerning branching quests...

thesisko

Emissary
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Captain Shrek said:
There was a quest about returning some Daedra's weapon that could branch out. There was the entire fighter's guild quests. There was the quest in Wizard's guild where you had to steal someone's notes. You could even get quests by reading books. That was a nice touch. The main quest itself had a nice branch (killing Vivec and stuff). All this was VERY innovative and cleverly done.
New Vegas has more quest branching than Morrowind and is a recent game.

Captain Shrek said:
Also, the comparison with DA2? That was to make a point. DA2 has RUBBISH dialogue and that's the standard of RPG games today unfortunately. The writing for Deus Ex, Planescape is almost extinct.
DA2 is considered a mediocre game, unlike Deus Ex or Planescape. Also, popular mainstream RPGs never had Planescape-calibre dialogue, or do you think Dungeon Siege has good writing?
Bioware's writing has always been shitty, DA2 was just a new low for them.

Captain Shrek

thesisko said:
Captain Shrek said:
New Vegas has more quest branching than Morrowind and is a recent game.

Captain Shrek said:
DA2 is considered a mediocre game, unlike Deus Ex or Planescape. Also, popular mainstream RPGs never had Planescape-calibre dialogue, or do you think Dungeon Siege has good writing?
Bioware's writing has always been shitty, DA2 was just a new low for them.

I love New Vegas for that reason.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
My wild guess would be lots of unlockable retarded costumes and what not for the xbox dashboard avatar. They often come with the games, you just "buy" them to unlock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom