Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Incline Skyrim is getting The Most Definitive Re-re-re-release once again at 11.11.2021

Discussion in 'Bethesda Game Studios' started by Hafnar the Jester, Aug 22, 2021.

1. Ravielsk Scholar

Ravielsk
    Survival mode was always a iffy proposition for Skyrim because in game a day lasts only around 1 hour of real time. So there is never really any good configuration for it that would not be broken. Either you make it irrelevant by asking the player to eat only every 8-12 hours in realtime( so you let the player survive a whole week without a drop of food or water) or you turn it into a dumb annoyance by doing the same but in "Skyrim hours" thus making the player stop every few steps to eat some shit. The only viable solution to this would be to change the length of the ingame day into something more reasonable and work from there.

But something tells me that was never an option in the first place.

^ Top  
  2. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Nope., it's a simple console command or tiny mod to change timescale.

^ Top  
  3. Ravielsk Scholar

Ravielsk
    Ok, so its just yet again laziness and incompetence.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    The joke is that you assume they "sell" it, but instead it's discounted -100% permanently, so they get a "a-ha!!" moment.

Whether or not that joke is amusing in any way, or just the lamest kind of dad joke in history, is another matter entirely.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    Well there's also this, I believe, the most autistic thing I've seen in the industry except for Grimoire production:

Show Spoiler

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 4
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • /facepalm/ /facepalm/ x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Archwizard Hank Learned

Archwizard Hank
    Under what circumstances, in which universe, under whose authority and in which lifetime am I ever going to need to know the half-life of real and fictional substances as they decay in my fictional body

The only half-life I want within a planet's orbit of my video games hasn't had a good sequel since 2007
    fuck

Last edited: Nov 14, 2021
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    1: You mean 2001.
    2: It's really just a fancy term for how long its effects last and how long it is before you can use another dose without (extra) penalty.

Really, the only dietary values that need tracking are calories, protein, vitamin c, and maybe water: Protein and Vitamin C to encourage diet variety (no subsisting entirely on one substance like potatoes or random game meat), while water is mostly for raw fruit and soups/stews supplementing potables. The sheer number of calories a video game character burns (marching places, fighting, leaping) means everything else should easily be satisfied with the amount of food they need to eat.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Archwizard Hank Learned

Archwizard Hank
    But... Well... Hm...
    Y'know what, I don't actually have any counter to this. Fuck it, you're right, I can't justify a game that doesn't have a goddamn conclusion.

Also regarding survival systems, call me a filthy casual but the food mechanic in the Ultima series always felt to me like it was all you needed - Just a number that goes down as you walk. Realistic? Fuck no. Easy to understand? Yes. I'm not sure if the fact that SkyRimjob's default survival mode hasn't really seemingly progressed far beyond this speaks more to the ingenuity of the system as it's designed on paper or to the lack of imagination in the game development world.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. deuxhero Arcane

deuxhero
    Oh I don't disagree in the slightest that video games (especially those not built around it) has almost always just been annoying busywork rather than adding anything of value, just that there's absolutely no reason to go beyond those four values if one wanted to put such a system in.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Fedora Master Arcane Patron Edgy

Fedora Master
    Skyrim is shit and its modders are retarded troglodytes, news at 11

• Yes Yes x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. ERYFKRAD Barbarian Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    What do you put on your spacebar then?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Yoomazir Educated

Yoomazir
    Can you disable these new "features", like survival mode?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. mkultra Augur

mkultra
    yeah, i loaded a save and it asked if i wanted it, turned it on and i was constantly nagged about being cold or hungry, wet, etc (yes, like every minute).

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. BruceVC Augur

BruceVC
    Im definitely going to buy the Anniversary edition because I already own Skyrim SE which means I only pay $20 !!!

And as Fluent pointed out in another thread it has 500 creation club Mods and similar things so its well worth the money :salute:

• sheeple x 5
    • No x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • thumbs down x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • consume product x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • /facepalm/ x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. FriendlyMerchant Learned

FriendlyMerchant
    There's always the solution of playing a survival mode like you would IRL; kill animal, eat heart and liver first, then the muscle meat if you're still hungry. The liver is where the animal stores the most of vitamins and minerals. Just be careful not to die of Vitamin A poisoning.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Alexander DeLarge Cipher

Alexander DeLarge
    I'm glad The Frozen North exists. I just want the game to acknowledge it takes place in a frozen hellscape and this mod takes care of that. Hopefully OpenMW gets something like it for Skyrim Home of the Nords.
    Frostbite is nice too.
    https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/27693

^ Top  
  17. FriendlyMerchant Learned

FriendlyMerchant
    But the natives of Skyrim don't wear clothes...

[​IMG]

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    • Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it Sweat gathers upon my brow, let me dab it x 1
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Never played or had any interest in this fantasy garbag from tODD and his lackeys.

Why am I then posting in this thread you say?

Because hang the fantasy fags

• Participation Award x 2
    • Friendly x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Manjuice Nutella Arcane

Manjuice Nutella
    You chose a good forum for yourself then.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Funposter Magister

Funposter
    Ashfall should work fine once OpenMW gets lua support (supposedly in the next version), but it's definitely more LARPy than you want since it's more in the vein of Frostfall. Still, could work as a nice starting point if Merlord ever wanted to (or allowed someone else to) make a lite version.

• Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Nikanuur Learned Patron

Nikanuur
    Khajiit has wares if you have coin.

• gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Nikanuur Learned Patron

Nikanuur
    Sorry to be so blunt, but one's son tragedy shouldn't make the man impose his feelings towards all humanity.

^ Top  
  23. Gargaune Magister

Gargaune
    That's the problem with most of these "survival modes", mods and official alike, they're way too granular and fiddly. You're bombarded with status effects every couple of minutes in real-time, so you constantly have to break flow to go inventory diving, what with the myriad different consumables and their slightly different effects. It's altogether unsuitable for an Action-RPG.

The one game that really struck the right balance was STALKER, but odds are nobody at Bethesda's every played that.

Found DiCaprio's Codex account.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. mkultra Augur

mkultra
    You mean Solstheim...
    But clothes are overrated, even in the winter (Sweden). If it's -20 then sure... 0C, no problem, i'd walk around in a T-shirt, shorts, but people look at you weirdly, or like you are "bragging" ;)

^ Top  
  25. Butter Arcane

Butter
    Flex on the new Europeans every chance you get.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Merry Christmas! Merry Christmas! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.