Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Skyrim is getting The Most Definitive Re-re-re-release once again at 11.11.2021

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
Gaming is a mob racket, just like drugs and Hollywood.

Tihskael

Learned
:grpg:

240594398_4333436803414702_4471931634651274755_n.jpg

Trippy

Novice
Kinda speaks to how the 'decline' everyone feels is located not so much in the creatives, but the shadowy financing part of the industry, no? One can debate the vagaries of gameplay mechanics ad nauseum, but the fact that one of the biggest drivers of modern AAA design was financed literally by one of the biggest financial swindlers in modern history is... much more telling.
As an outsider I have no way of confirming it, but from what I've read and learned over the years, it seems to be so.

I would assume the problem is on both ends, because for instance so much of what you see in the non-commercial art being shared has the same derivative, generic style to it that appears in so many video games, while the reading habits of people generally is being transformed and / or diminished by emulating the attention-grabbing methods of mainstream online journals and social media posting, which is itself mimicking the behavior that is practically enforced following the adopting of the deceptively "free" internet content advertising model popularized by Google.

That being said there seems to me to be no question that creativity is stifled by the economic concerns of studio financers. It seems that the trends in the video game industry towards simplicity, towards challenging dexterous control response as opposed to challenging the strategic mind, appealing to the herd at large roughly coincided with the introduction of Google and ever-decreasing computer prices. This is also approximately the same time that people like Altman caught wind of the potential market on the horizon and got involved.

In the early days of home computers, there were several reasons for and economic incentives to creating games which required patience and strategic thinking, because many of the people who owned computers were the very kind of people to whom these things are ideally marketed. These days games are heavily criticized for being extremely challenging and controversial if difficulty modes are added by request. Imagine something like Wizardry IV in todays gaming milieu? Imagine any game being released without tooltips and tutorials?

Nearly every single one of the major publishers and developers are eventually exposed as scandalous and to be run by utterly incompetent, and frequently sociopathic personalities. In Bethesda's case it was downright felonious, and an increasing number are joining that category. Art reflects the culture in which it is produced and our culture in decline sees our collective psychology mirrored in the garbage we consume.

Highly agreed. I think most of pop culture is a sort of demiurgic playpen where people are programmed to debate over their various flavors of preferred ice cream, when really the only thing that matters -- that actually 'means' anything -- is who is writing the checks and why. I have more specific experience in the film industry (with all these fans squawking about 'representation' and aesthetics and politics when really they're just datapoints on some shareholder's spreadsheet), but it seems even worse in the video game industry.

Caim

Arcane
TL;DR version:

- All the currently released Kreation Klub Kontent will be in the Anniversary Edition.
- There will be new Kreation Klub Kontent to buy with the Anniversary Edition.

Yes, you're buying the game again for the privilige of being able to buy even more DLC. And if you bought all the previous DLC... well, not only are you buying Skyrim again you're also buying its DLC again. And you're gonna have to mod it again as well, so have fun playing a broken game while waiting for the mods to come out.

Todd Howard, you did it again.

Anthedon

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Isn't it just an update for the Skyrim Special Edition and only the added DLC costs something? Of course it's going to brick a lot of mods and SKSE until modders update their stuff.

Caim

Arcane
Isn't it just an update for the Skyrim Special Edition and only the added DLC costs something? Of course it's going to brick a lot of mods and SKSE until modders update their stuff.
This is still a bit unclear. I hope it's yet another edition so that it bricks mods all over again. Maybe they'll learn about buying Skyrim over and over again.

Lambach

Arcane
Maybe they'll learn about buying Skyrim over and over again.

I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the comments on that video. Surprising lack of "cons00mers gonna cons00me" mentality. Then again, a YT comment section is hardly an accurate representation of the overall market.

ADL

Prophet
Remember they re-rated Oblivion to M a couple years later because Bethesda slipped a bunch of stuff past the ESRB. Surprised it didn't happen to Morrowind too but that would require the ratings board to play Morrowind.

Funposter

Arcane
Remember they re-rated Oblivion to M a couple years later because Bethesda slipped a bunch of stuff past the ESRB.

It actually happened like two months after release and was primarily fueled by a rudimentary nudity mod. During the re-review, the ESRB then actually took a deeper look at the game and found that a scene from the Dark Brotherhood questline (I presume) was more gory than described:

What Bethesda had originally disclosed to us, as an example: In that section of the game, there is a hanging corpse. What they disclosed to us was a hanging corpse in the dark, pretty far away and without much detail. And yet, when you bring a torch up to the hanging corpse in the actual game, you can see that it's very mutilated with lots of blood and bones. That was a very different depiction, far more intense, far more extreme than what had been disclosed to us.

Pretty sure this is when you go to Applewatch and find out that the Black Hand have killed Lucien Lachance. Amusingly, it's just a slightly modified version of the Zombie model and is actually less gory than the original, which you'll fight hundreds of over the course of a playthrough.

Mud'

Scholar
Hold it, this will be free for the gamepass users OR they will keep the special edition of the game there and add this as a DLC you need to buy?

If so, holy shit that's crazy, they will break the SE on top of everything for this shit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom