Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Skyrim is getting The Most Definitive Re-re-re-release once again at 11.11.2021

FriendlyMerchant

Skyrim looked better than this with just Graphics mods in 2012.

giphy.gif

I'll stick to Morrowind from now on.

FriendlyMerchant

Making an MMO is destroying Bethesda's other games. Hmmm. Who would have guessed that would have happened. It's not like it hasn't happened to Blizzard yet... Oh wait...

Mud'

Scholar
Now i understand what is the market for this shit, is the console players, specifically the PS4 players since they are really shit out of luck when it comes down to mods.

Now i am shit out of luck and i must give Todd my money to buy the fucking SE PS4 copy + upgrade AE for a god damn birthday present. Its just genius the way it fucks over PC players so the console players can spent money on this shit.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Why are people still surprised that PC players are just second rate customers to them?
Bethesda's focus is on the consoles since Lolblivion. If the Xbawx architecture wouldn't make it "easy" to create a PC port, Beth would have abandoned us a long time ago.
Barely any piracy, no free mods leading to the acceptance to pay for them, and only one hardware combination per console to make it run on makes the console market far more interesting if you aim for the big bucks. Lower entry fees for a console lasting longer than a PC on top.
Even CDPR, the new "Bethesda of Europe" goes down that route now. They made the mistake of creating a pimped up version of CP77 for PC to show off, then failed to cut it down for consoles. But they won't make that mistake again.
When I checked it recently to see how it runs now, I was reminded how the entire control scheme is already made for gamepads. Radial weapon menu, double tapping buttons, using Q/E as stand ins for the bumpers to turn the char during creation, and "F" to interact instead of "E", as if the coder had never played a PC game before. Also rudimentary mouse support, map mode knowing only one mouse button, and the inventory was actively working against me.
They didn't even really try there anymore.
Sad.

Now with Microsoft giving away the last 2 OS for frees already, they apparently do not seeing much profit there anymore. Wouldn't be surprised if they eventually unhinge a new Xbawx from that architecture, which would then pretty much turn PC gaming into a niche role like... Nintendo.
Doubleplus sad.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Niche does not necessarly mean a bad thing. Nintendo abandoned the "mainstream triple A" race, found a profitable niche and have a (quasi) monopoly in it.
PC would probably end up mostly for RTS games, League of Legends, DOTA and all that crap. Profitable for those cornering the market, sure, but at least 70% of PC players would end up turning consoletard if they want to keep playing what they are used to.
On the other hand it might bring substance over style RPGs back in bloom, so there might be a silver lining.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Niche does not necessarly mean a bad thing. Nintendo abandoned the "mainstream triple A" race, found a profitable niche and have a (quasi) monopoly in it.
PC would probably end up mostly for RTS games, League of Legends, DOTA and all that crap. Profitable for those cornering the market, sure, but at least 70% of PC players would end up turning consoletard if they want to keep playing what they are used to.
On the other hand it might bring substance over style RPGs back in bloom, so there might be a silver lining.

This is the first time I read someone trying to explain a product that outsold all of its direct competitors by a huge margin and still does even with production issues as a niche.

The Avatar

Pseudodragon Studios
Developer
I don't even care if this is for console players. For all the shit people give Bethsoft, they have always supported modding on the PC- even releasing the same tools they use to make the game. What other companies do that? Not many.

They just need to hire a better UI person so their PC games don't look like console ports by default.

Bliblablubb

Arcane

This is the first time I read someone trying to explain a product that outsold all of its direct competitors by a huge margin and still does even with production issues as a niche.
Maybe I am using the wrong term then? To me a "niche" in this csse is a customer group not part of what is defined as "mainstream" by media/society.

Sorry. :oops:

Funposter

Arcane

Maybe I am using the wrong term then? To me a "niche" in this csse is a customer group not part of what is defined as "mainstream" by media/society.

Sorry. :oops:
The Switch has sold more units than the Xbox 360 or PS3 ever did. It was the best selling console for like 116 weeks running. It's ultra mainstream.

Drowed

Arcane
The Switch has sold more units than the Xbox 360 or PS3 ever did. It was the best selling console for like 116 weeks running. It's ultra mainstream.

I mean, that's true, the Switch sold 92mil and the Xbox and Ps3 sold 84mil and 87mil, respectively. But it's also important to remember how big the gaming market was in 2005 compared to 2020, not counting the bug that makes people stay home more amd buy more games. That said, your point remains, the Switch is totally mainstream. The only other video game with a comparable audience is the PS4 (113mil), and that was released in 2013.

arcanum

Literate
Skyrim 10 Year Old - a new release from Bethesda Distillery. Matured in modded casks, it's a complex and full-bodied dram. The new mods lend powerful aromas of vanilla to this extraordinary peated Dragonborn malt.

mogwaimon

Magister

people still don't quite understand that Nintendo saw that consoles would eventually just become closed-off shittier PCs a decade ago and decided to instead compete through innovations and unique functionality rather than touting that their console has the most teraflops or whatever. Nintendo ain't perfect and they're out of touch when it comes to anything with network functions but they knew we'd eventually arrive at a point where even people like me who enjoy both consoles and PCs would be saying, 'why do I need the latest Playstation/Xbox/Nintendo console when I can get all the games on my PC with better graphics and mods?'

Yoomazir

Educated
Well, I'm not gonna lie, that new quest about remnants of the Tribunal has me curious, the armors do look gorgeous.

prengle

Savant
Well, I'm not gonna lie, that new quest about remnants of the Tribunal has me curious, the armors do look gorgeous.
it's so good it necessitated using a different compiler and breaking every skse mod for the tenth time because fuck you

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
With sixteen times the detail!!! It just works

Jokes aside, Skyrim is only greater for his mods. I can praise Adanos there

that new quest about remnants of the Tribunal has me curious, the armors do look gorgeous.

Me too. But skyrim still vastly inferior to morrowind.
Telvanni Tower in Morrowind. Plebs who can't levitate don't deserve to talk with the telvanni members.
Telvanni tower in skyrim. Forced third person, levitate up and ends.

Making an MMO is destroying Bethesda's other games.

I agree. If wasen't by eso, we would probably already got the TES VI and 666 mods to make it playable.

EDIT : The survival mode coming seems interesting https://youtu.be/Mc2A6qmvWj8?t=86

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
But ESO is made by a completely different team... and even by a different company

Semiurge

Cipher

Le Epic horse armors and reskins. The skeleton mount from Dawnguard at least makes sense, especially for a vampire PC.

ADL

Prophet
What is the price of the Skyrim Anniversary Edition and the Anniversary Upgrade?

• The MSRP for the Skyrim Anniversary Edition on digital storefronts will be USD $49.99/EUR €54.99/GBP £47.99/AUD $79.95/RUB 3399 at launch.
    • If you already own Skyrim Special Edition, the MSRP for the Anniversary Upgrade on digital storefronts will be USD $19.99/EUR €19.99/GBP £15.99/AUD $29.95/RUB 1429 at launch.
hat is the price of the Skyrim Anniversary Edition and the Anniversary Upgrade?

• The MSRP for the Skyrim Anniversary Edition on digital storefronts will be USD $49.99/EUR €54.99/GBP £47.99/AUD $79.95/RUB 3399 at launch.

• If you already own Skyrim Special Edition, the MSRP for the Anniversary Upgrade on digital storefronts will be USD $19.99/EUR €19.99/GBP £15.99/AUD $29.95/RUB 1429 at launch.
https://elderscrolls.bethesda.net/en/article/5esC91g2ABY1jQ97uq39zW/skyrim-anniversary-edition-faq

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom