Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim Special Edition

Luzur

Good Sir
Its ok, i'll just pirate what i find interesting

Ghulgothas

Arcane
The vague phrasing of "over 500 unique pieces of content from Creation Club" worries me.
500 Pieces of Gold, in-game. Each engraved with a depiction of Lord Howard's face making a different suggestive expression. They will be scattered all over the game world and their collection will be a mini-quest like "The Stones of Barenziah", with the final reward being a unique piece of mail armor forged from them all.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
It will be a separate version like Special Edition and the main target are the console players since they have much harder time modding.

Most of the PC players will just continue using Special Edition.
Who would be stupid enough to buy the game 3 seperate times?

Special edition was free for owners of the original, Im sure this will be the same.

Caim

Arcane
It will be a separate version like Special Edition and the main target are the console players since they have much harder time modding.

Special edition was free for owners of the original, Im sure this will be the same.
Nope, we already know that if you own the Special Edition you'll get a discount on the Anniversary Edition.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

Nope, we already know that if you own the Special Edition you'll get a discount on the Anniversary Edition.

Makes sense seeing how it's compilation of paid mods.

Still this is targeted mostly to console gamers. There is no real reason besides laziness to buy this and not just mod it for PC players.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I've gotten back into modding this again (this must be the third or fourth time I've gotten into a complete modding binge over the years). To my surprise, what stymied me and got me spending a couple of hours obsessed with wasn't the tiddies (the setup for LL stuff is quite smooth now for SSE), but getting a fucking properly working paper map into the game. Grrrr. And even when you get a paper map working (there's a new system that's come out recently where people can make variants), it's not the nigh-perfet paper map that came out originally with A Better World Map, but didn't function very well, it's another one (actually a few on offer) that functions well but doesn't look or feel as good.

Voice synthesis seems to be pretty decent in modding now, bar the very occasional garble - several of the big LL mods now have synthesized voices. It's quite amusing to hear the familiar Skyrim guards' voices saying sexist things, for example :)

But the really big improvement is in third person gameplay. Modders have improved animation a lot over the years (or offered all sorts of alternatives), and with the Nemesis engine (which seems to blend animations really smoothly), the Dynamic Animation Replacer and Smooth Camera you can now have 360 degree third person gameplay that's very close to the modern standard, as well as very cool interactive and varied idle animations. Gone are the days of playing in third person and having that stupid twitching effect if you just nudge your mouse.

The whole ENB Light thing is big too - although the developer of that particular mod seems to have stopped developing, the mod still functions well and there are several other modders who've been working on ENB light for various things, as well as one total lighting overhaul (LUX) that's ENB lighting ready in that sense. With that, plus good dynamic shadows mods, the game looks quite spiffy.

(I've never found the texture replacements packs to be all that convincing so I don't do much visuals replacement. Apart from SMIM of course, which is mandatory. Pretty much all the texture replacement packs are a matter of taste, and I actually like the aesthetic of the original game for most things, it's all of a piece and feels right. Combat and gameplay mods similar - mostly a matter of taste. I do like the Ordinator perk overhaul though.)

"Finishing" systems seem to have changed a fair bit. At first it was Wrye Bash and SSEdit, and then it was zEdit and Mator Smash, and now there's a new system called Mutagen/Synthesis, which I haven't completely gotten my head around, but so far as I can gather it has the particular advantage that you can basically tailor the finishing to the mods and mod packs you have by plugging in Mutagen filters for whatever mods you have, and it does the finishing .esp appropriately for that selection of filters. Very easily changeable if you change your setup, and there's already a filter for most of the major mods.

The thing I always find quite amusing about modding Skyrim is that one spends all those hours setting it up, even setting up LL mods in drooling anticipation, and then one ends up pretty much just playing Skyrim. The same old familiar LARP :)

Puukko

Arcane
Watch yourself out there, or the beasts will tear your ass apart.

I installed the Aldrnari modlist recently and it's way too early to say if I like it, but it is the most extensive and performance intensive list so far at 1700+ mods.

Lossless-Scaling-Screenshot-2021-10-06-22-07-55-45.jpg

Last edited:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
And I thought the Daggerfall & Morrowind mods were extensive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom