Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrimjob sells 10M units, also the best PC seller

MCA
ZeniMax Media Inc. today announced that 10 million units of Bethesda Softworks' The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim have been shipped for the Xbox 360 video game entertainment system from Microsoft, PlayStation3 computer entertainment system, and PC, representing approximately $650 million in retail sales since its release on November 11. The PC version of Skyrim in North America outsold all other PC games by a factor of over three to one in the month of its release. Large retail reorders across all platforms and record-breaking digital sales reflect the ongoing global demand by consumers excited to explore this extraordinary fantasy epic.

Bethesda Softworks' Skyrim has already garnered over two dozen 'Game of the Year' awards from major outlets worldwide, including winning the top honor of Game of the Year at the 2011 Video Game Awards which are voted on by a panel of editors from the industry’s most respected magazines and websites. In addition, Skyrim has received ‘Game of the Year’ awards from numerous other game critics, which, to date include such respected media outlets as G4TV, Official Xbox Magazine and Machinima.com. Skyrim was named ‘Most -Played Game of 2011’ by Raptr, based on research data which confirms its highly popular gameplay experience.

“We are gratified that Skyrim continues to garner high review scores and accolades around the world,” said Robert Altman, Chairman and CEO of ZeniMax Media. “We are most grateful to our fans for their support and enthusiasm for the game, and their love of the hundreds of hours of gameplay it offers. We continue to strive to deliver the highest quality entertainment experience for everyone. 2012 will be another huge year for our fans, with the release of the Creation Kit, as well as exciting DLC which will add to the richness of this epic adventure."

“Skyrim is the fastest selling title in Steam's history” said Jason Holtman, Director of Business Development at Valve Corporation. “Bethesda’s commitment to and understanding of the PC as a gaming platform shows in the great review scores, spectacular launch, and continued high player numbers that Skyrim has received. We are delighted that Bethesda chose to use Steamworks to support Skyrim both at retail and digitally.”

http://www.ggmania.com/?smsid=32113

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
As I've said before, regardless of your opinion of TES, this can only be a good thing for the RPG genre.
Because it teaches publishers that the way to reach Call of Duty level sales is to make a big, well-realized world to explore at your leisure, not a rushed Bioware DA2 corridor hack and slash storyfag fest.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Sure, there's that, but you don't get the best selling single player RPG in history purely on marketing.

Bethesda have figured out something about what people want in a game that other companies just don't get.

Raapys

Arcane
Yah, marketing and hype. And dumbing down. The more they dumb down their games, the more they sell.

bonescraper

Yeah, great. Too bad i'm still waiting for a fucking proper patch. I can't play Skyrim in it's current state, i'm having random CTDs every 10 minutes and every time i fast travel. FFS! :(

Raapys said:
The more they dumb down their games, the more they sell.
Bioware games are dumber than Bethesda's, still, they don't sell half as good. Care to explain that?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, it IS the best AAA title in recent time (F:NV is not AAA, is made by Obsidian FFS), and it's something "unique", not ANOTHER Call of Battlefield 3, so can't say I'm surprised...

Question now is where will Bethesda go from here...Skyrim is clearly an incline from Oblivion, and a huge sucess, so what's next?

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
felipepepe said:
Question now is where will Bethesda go from here...Skyrim is clearly an incline from Oblivion, and a huge sucess, so what's next?

Bunch of DLC, maybe one major expansion like for Oblivion then Fallout 4, which actually might turn not to be total piece of shit.

Raapys

Arcane
bonescraper said:
Yeah, great. Too bad i'm still waiting for a fucking proper patch. I can't play Skyrim in it's current state, i'm having random CTDs every 10 minutes and every time i fast travel. FFS! :(

Raapys said:
Bioware games are dumber than Bethesda's, still, they don't sell half as good. Care to explain that?
Huh? Which Bioware game, exactly, are you thinking of? Even Dragon Age 2 had far more tactical considerations than Skyrim, and it also had character attributes and whatnot. So even that shitty game had, at the very least, as much depth as Skyrim.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
markec said:
Bunch of DLC, maybe one major expansion like for Oblivion then Fallout 4, which actually might turn not to be total piece of shit.

Why not more than one expansion? Even the NWNs got double expansions.
Fuck, with 10 million sales, they can milk this cow dry like The Sims.

Renegen

Arcane
Wow, 10M is crazy... didn't know they were that many "RPG" gamers. Maybe it was just CoD players that wanted to see what that whole RPG fuss was about. It's clear that many people are playing their first video games these days, they don't have the knowledge of previous, better RPGs. But, maybe a few will trickle to the dark side.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Raapys said:
bonescraper said:

Raapys said:
Huh? Which Bioware game, exactly, are you thinking of? Even Dragon Age 2 had far more tactical considerations than Skyrim, and it also had character attributes and whatnot. So even that shitty game had, at the very least, as much depth as Skyrim.

It's true that Bioware games aren't dumber. But they are derpier. (not the same thing)

Renegen said:
Wow, 10M is crazy... didn't know they were that many "RPG" gamers.

Neither did Bethesda, I think. They seem to be surprised by this. Once more, we have proof that the marketing idiots don't know what they're talking about.

Xi

Arcane
The real question is whether to start TES 6 right away, and branch out with another team on Fallout 4, or to continue working on one title at a time? With that much capitol, developing 2 products together ensures more revenue (with slightly more risk). Interesting.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
It's probably not a good idea to push out two huge open-world games at the same time, because most players are going to play these types of games one at a time.

Xi

Arcane
Infinitron said:
It's probably not a good idea to push out two huge open-world games at the same time, because most players are going to play these types of games one at a time.

I think the player bases are a little bit different. If anything, they could spend some time looking at newer graphics engines, or putting more work into the Gamebryo one to improve it beyond what it is now. This is currently their weakest point as a company. Shitty tech.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Yeah, this is fundamentally a good thing, as much as it hurts to say it. They managed to significantly incline over Oblivion and F3, and got good sales as a result (probably not, but it certainly looks that way). Now to see whether this makes them stagnate and churn out skyrim clones in the foreseeable future, or if they continue the incline into something actually decent.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Raapys said:
Yah, marketing and hype. And dumbing down. The more they dumb down their games, the more they sell.

Yeah, this is why DA2 was so incredibly successful and recieved such positive user feedback. :M

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Jaesun said:
Incline of what exactly?
IMHO the game IS better than Oblivion. The atmosphere is great, exploring is fun, the game is challenging on Expert & Master, and the issues people point out the most like buckets on heads or dragon fights are just things you read about and can avoid (apart from horribad UI).

Yes, dragon fights are easy if you place a big rock between you and the dragon, I know. But that's a cheap exploit, and not always possible. If you are crossing a plain and a dragon attacks, you can run like a "l33t gamer" until you find a big rock and kill him easily "cause Skyrim is shit, lol", or you can actually fight it where you stand and have a quite nice fight. Is the same as getting Immunity to Magic in Daggerfall, you can choose between playing the game and having fun or just powergame it and call it broken...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom