Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrimjob sells 10M units, also the best PC seller

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"And DA2 didn't have that? Need to look at the differences, not the similarities. "

Are you REALLY trying to claim EA spent as much money on hype/advertsiement on DA2 as Beth did on Skyrim? LMFAO

DA2 wa snothing more than a quickc ash grab.. yet it stilol sold 2mil in 1 month.. which is pretty much as either BG series game or KOTOR sold in their entire lives.

R00fles!

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
I'm shocked that some codexers seem to not mind the removal of stats in TES games. Fucking storyfags.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
"DA2 wa snothing more than a quickc ash grab"

It still had a sizeable advertising budget, though yeah it was nothing compared to
skyrim-advert-1024x768.jpg

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You could make a good pro-communism argument out of the fact that a successful company can spend money on something like that, with nobody realizing how awful it looks anywhere along the way.

Come to think of it, I wonder if they even realize it now.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
Daggerfall is pretty much god forsaken dogshit compared to Skyrim

Both games are goddamn medieval first person shooters, except one is broken like fuck and has shitty random content all over the place, and the other doesn't

Yeah so that's about it Codex. My trolling is augmented

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Raapys said:
But is making a game difficult really an achievement when it consists of simply giving enemies more hp and damage? To me that's always felt kinda cheap. I mean, I could make a mod that gave every creature 90345834958439% more hp and kill you in a single hit, but I'd hardly call it the mod of the year. If on the other hand I made a mod which made enemies actually fight better, *that* would be an achievement.
It's not about more HP and damage at all.

Knevel the Tongue was dangerous because of his very rapid attacks, not because of the damage he did. He is the fastest attacker in the game, being the only Dual Wielding expert you fight. His HP and damage were actually modest or low. It was just very hard to hit a man who hits harder and faster than you. To fight him, I had to use a paralysis spell, hit him, and then run away while hitting him with arrows. To come close to him is suicide.

Draugr Overlords also aren't just about HP and damage. My Nord with maximum Two Handed and Heavy Armour skills and wearing a complete upgrade Daedric set could kill them in two or three blows. The difference is that they can shout at you. And if there are three of them, you can only fight two of them at a time with your Sideways Power Attack. That leaves one of them to still shout you off and allow the others to gang on you while you are on the ground. To fight them I had to shout one of them off a ledge and attack the two others.

I also had to consider when to sacrifice damage for more speed. Against a powerful necromancer, I used a greatsword instead of hammer, because his constant bombardment of firebolts meant that stopping power was more important than damage. I could then attack him uninterrupted. With a warhammer, I was too slow to interrupt his powerful spellcasting.

The Ancien Regime of ARPGs was uninspired stuff. All the blob-based, grid-based ARPGs of the Dungeon Master type were such that you could never die in them outside of carelessness and you never had much strategies open to you. Skyrim is entirely different from them. Both Anvil of Dawn and Skyrim are super-lite-RPGs with simplified systems that may not even qualify as real RPGs. However, Anvil of Dawn was easier. And given that Anvil of Dawn is considered a classic by many RPGers, there is nothing wrong with saying Skyrim is a decent game.

MCA
Krap said:
I'm shocked that some codexers seem to not mind the removal of stats in TES games. Fucking storyfags.

Attributes did nothing for Oblivion. Skyrim is more of an RPG than Oblivion. So let's not get tied up at conventions but look at individual implementations.

MetalCraze

Arcane
Wyrmlord said:
Eh? It's immaterial. Both are just following directions handed over to you directly. One is an interface compass, other is in-game text or speech.
Have you read what I wrote? You are saying it like there's no difference between being shown where exactly the item is not only in the game world but it's very position in some dungeon with a pixel precision and "hey dude what I want is in a dungeon X, it's somewhere to the north between town X and Y".

Either way, Skyrim's compass only shows you the location of the end area to be reached in the dungeon.
No they show you exactly where the item is. Apart from a dungeon where it's in.

The actual path always tends to be very indirect in dungeons.
Skyrim's dungeons are linear as fuck but who gives a shit? In Morrowind you had to look for a cube which was in the very beginning of a 5 storey dungeon but you didn't know that.

Don't be a fucking retard please.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
villain of the story said:
Krap said:

Attributes did nothing for Oblivion. Skyrim is more of an RPG than Oblivion. So let's not get tied up at conventions but look at individual implementations.

How does amputating stats make Skyrim more of an rpg than Oblivion? Maybe what you're saying is that Skyrim did adventure gaming and sandbox elements better?

DragoFireheart

all caps, rainbow colors, SOMETHING.
Krap said:
How does amputating stats make Skyrim more of an rpg than Oblivion?

Because we traded out the shitty stat system from Morrowind/Oblivion and opted for the perk system in Skyrim, which actually DOES cause our choices on which stats to get matter AND demands we raise the appropriate skills to get those perks.

In Oblivion, my level 1 character with 100 in skills that were not my major skills was stronger than a higher level character because of how fucked up the system was.

In Skyrim, if I try to pull that shit, Dragon Priest, Saber Tigers, and other nasty enemies will kick my ass.

In short, you're a fucktard that didnt really pay attention to the flaws of the stat system in Morrowind/Oblivion. (Stats were fine in Daggerfall).

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
DragoFireheart said:
Krap said:
How does amputating stats make Skyrim more of an rpg than Oblivion?

Because we traded out the shitty stat system from Morrowind/Oblivion and opted for the perk system in Skyrim, which actually DOES cause our choices on which stats to get matter AND demands we raise the appropriate skills to get those perks.

In Oblivion, my level 1 character with 100 in skills that were not my major skills was stronger than a higher level character because of how fucked up the system was.

In Skyrim, if I try to pull that shit, Dragon Priest, Saber Tigers, and other nasty enemies will kick my ass.

In short, you're a fucktard that didnt really pay attention to the flaws of the stat system in Morrowind/Oblivion. (Stats were fine in Daggerfall).

Hey dumbfuck, I didn't say that Oblivion's system was perfect and better than Skyrim's. I said that by removing stats Skyrim has made itself less of an rpg than Oblivion. I don't like this because it will then justify further dumbing down. Simple?

Raapys

Arcane
It's not dumbing down because the attributes only did this:
Primary Attributes
Agility
Controls your chance to hit enemies, as well as to dodge their attacks. Also reduces your chance to get knocked down in combat.
Endurance
Controls your starting and maximum Health, and your maximum Fatigue. Also slows down fatigue loss while running, and while fighting.
Intelligence
Controls your maximum Magicka.
Luck
Helps everything you do in a small way.
Personality
Controls how much people like you, and the prices you get at vendors.
Speed
Controls your rate of movement when walking, running, swimming, or levitating.
Strength
Controls the damage you cause with weapons, as well as how much you can carry. It also helps determine your maximum Fatigue and starting Health. Strength also factors into how your weapon durability degrades on each successful hit: Higher strength means higher weapon degradation.
Willpower
Controls your odds of success at spellcasting and your chance to resist Magicka. It also determines your maximum Fatigue.

Derived Attributes
Health
Controls how much damage you can take before being killed.
Magicka
Controls how much energy you have available for spellcasting.
Fatigue
Controls how tired you are.
Encumbrance
Controls how much you can carry.
As you can see, this makes no sense at all. Strength determines your carry capacity and how hard you hit? LOL!!! Speed controls how fast you can run? Ridiculous. Endurance having an effect on your health and fatigue levels? What were they thinking????

But now you have awesome options instead, like +20% damage!!! Bow zoom slows time!!! Armor weighs nothing!!! Every merchant gets 1000 more gold!!! Agad its heaven!!

Father Walker

Potato Ranger
From other news site:
Zenimax has announced 10 million copies of The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim have been shipped out to retailers since launch, which represents $650 million in potential sales so far. Keep in mind that those copies are shipped, not sold.

But who cares about the difference between shipping 10 million copies and selling them.

Twinkle

Liturgist
@Raapys

You are listing Morrowind attributes.

In Oblivion they were hardly anything more than blue bar, red bar and green bar with carrying capacity and running speed multiplier attached. Due to massively dumbed down combat mechanics you simply can't fail at hitting enemies and you can't fizzle spells as well. They only determined how many clicks are required to make things go down.

Haven't played Skyrimjob, but it looks like they pulled the same shit there.

DragoFireheart

Krap said:
Hey dumbfuck, I didn't say that Oblivion's system was perfect and better than Skyrim's. I said that by removing stats Skyrim has made itself less of an rpg than Oblivion. I don't like this because it will then justify further dumbing down. Simple?

Skyrims 250+ perks is less of an RPG than Oblivions shit stats, which half are worthless and half don't do much lol you are a dipshit. Skyrim was anything but dumbed down: just because there isn't a shit character creation system doesn't make Skyrim "simplified" in chracter GROWTH.

Had you said Daggerfall I would have agreed with you. Daggerfall to Skyrim IS a major downgrade. Daggerfall had a very (broken) in-depth character creation system. The advantage/disadvantage system was pretty good for making a unique character.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
DragoFireheart said:
Krap said:

Skyrims 250+ perks is less of an RPG than Oblivions shit stats, which half are worthless and half don't do much lol you are a dipshit. Skyrim was anything but dumbed down: just because there isn't a shit character creation system doesn't make Skyrim "simplified" in chracter GROWTH.

Had you said Daggerfall I would have agreed with you. Daggerfall to Skyrim IS a major downgrade. Daggerfall had a very (broken) in-depth character creation system. The advantage/disadvantage system was pretty good for making a unique character.
But why remove gameplay elements they couldn't get right the first time? Why not improve them? What's going to keep Beth from scraping the perk system if they're dissatisfied with it?

baronjohn

Cipher
Wyrmlord said:
Knevel the Tongue was dangerous because of his very rapid attacks, not because of the damage he did. He is the fastest attacker in the game, being the only Dual Wielding expert you fight. His HP and damage were actually modest or low. It was just very hard to hit a man who hits harder and faster than you. To fight him, I had to use a paralysis spell, hit him, and then run away while hitting him with arrows. To come close to him is suicide.

Draugr Overlords also aren't just about HP and damage. My Nord with maximum Two Handed and Heavy Armour skills and wearing a complete upgrade Daedric set could kill them in two or three blows. The difference is that they can shout at you. And if there are three of them, you can only fight two of them at a time with your Sideways Power Attack. That leaves one of them to still shout you off and allow the others to gang on you while you are on the ground. To fight them I had to shout one of them off a ledge and attack the two others.

I also had to consider when to sacrifice damage for more speed. Against a powerful necromancer, I used a greatsword instead of hammer, because his constant bombardment of firebolts meant that stopping power was more important than damage. I could then attack him uninterrupted. With a warhammer, I was too slow to interrupt his powerful spellcasting.
I guess playing a fighter is more fun in Skyrim then. All I did as a caster in every fight was either dual cast fire bolt to stunlock enemies or summon dremora lords. No tactics, no variation.

DragoFireheart

Krap said:
But why remove gameplay elements they couldn't get right the first time? Why not improve them? What's going to keep Beth from scraping the perk system if they're dissatisfied with it?

They wanted a system that doesn't force you to spend 10-20 mins creating a character like in Daggerfall before even playing the game. They wanted to appeal to a larger audience. The Skyrim system does a better job of that: you play and your grow your character.

They should be improving off of the Daggerfall system if anything, but cRPG systems like that don't appeal to a wider audience. Morrowind and Oblivion were just shit.

Quetzacoatl

Liturgist
DragoFireheart said:
Krap said:

They wanted a system that doesn't force you to spend 10-20 mins creating a character like in Daggerfall before even playing the game. They wanted to appeal to a larger audience. The Skyrim system does a better job of that: you play and your grow your character.

They should be improving off of the Daggerfall system if anything, but cRPG systems like that don't appeal to a wider audience. Morrowind and Oblivion were just shit.
WTF? "appealing to a wider audience" can be used to justify any gameplay change or dumbing down. Heck you can even say there shouldn't be a character generation screen at all. Or stats for that matter.

MCA
Raapys, I'm disappoint, son. Not only are you foaming at the mouth along with others but you are using bullshit to try and back up your position. While I don't know every crook and nanny of MW's system, I knew it had to be MW or something completely different the moment I saw "to hit" in your list. I mean, To-Hit in Oblivion?, WTF man :lol:

I have one question for you: have you even played Oblivion?

In Oblivion,

Strength:
Encumbrance (maximum weight that can be carried) = Strength × 5
Damage dealt with a melee weapon (see The Complete Damage Formula)
Fatigue = Strength + Agility + Endurance + Willpower

Endurance:
Fatigue = Endurance + Agility +Strength + Willpower (NPCs and player)
Base health = Endurance × 2 (player only)
Health increase on leveling = Endurance ÷ 10 (player only)

Agility:
Chance to avoid being 'staggered' by enemy attacks.
Damage delivered by bows (see The Complete Damage Formula).
Fatigue = Agility + Endurance + Strength + Willpower

Intelligence:
Base Magicka = (Intelligence × 2) + racial and birthsign bonuses

Willpower:
Regeneration rate of Magicka (see below).
Fatigue = Willpower + Agility + Endurance + Strength

Personality:
To more easily obtain meaningful information from NPCs.
To obtain better prices from merchants through haggling.
To avoid combat more often. Fewer aggressive beings will attack you and more will accept yields.

Speed:
Speed of travel (including fast travel)
The length of your jumps.

I'm looking at that list, thinking of individual skills in the game and how they interacted with the attributes and... I realise nothing of value was lost. Skyrim takes a lot of shortcuts where Oblivion's layering of attributes and skills are repetitive without much complimentary interaction. There isn't place for nuanced builds like a "hulking brute" or a "deadly sword master" or whatever because much of the action is already dependent on player skill and there are definitive division like how only Strength affects melee damage and Agility, bow damage. It wasn't for nothing that people could finish the game as a level 1 character. Most of the stuff in the character system simply didn't matter. Oblivion only gave you the illusion of "building a character" when your character wasn't worth shit. And neither game has any depth to the utilisation of its content (eg. clever use of attributes and skills in quests outside their main functions).

So Skyrim saves us a lot of illusionary time-waste character building and replaces it with direct, to-the-point choices. And it does what it does far better than what Oblivion does with what it does.

Does it make Skyrim a good RPG? No, it's still a shit RPG. "B-B-But why can't they make a good rpg, why do they have to get rid of everything that's goo? bwaaaa". It's fucking Bethesda FFS, what were you expecting? Should we cut it slack just because it looks pretty and can actually be fun to play? No. But don't come here with dogmatic bullshit about how it's not an RPG (yeah, you too VD, fuck you too) or how it's worse than Oblivion just because it lacks (or has vastly reduced) a particular layer of abstraction that you think is the core of RPGs without without thinking it through.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
andrzej said:
From other news site:
Zenimax has announced 10 million copies of The Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim have been shipped out to retailers since launch, which represents $650 million in potential sales so far. Keep in mind that those copies are shipped, not sold.

But who cares about the difference between shipping 10 million copies and selling them.
They've already sold them to stores. :smug:

In addition, the initial launch order was for 7 million. Increasing that by another 3 million means it must be flying off the shelves.

Raapys

Arcane
Raapys, I'm disappoint, son. Not only are you foaming at the mouth along with others but you are using bullshit to try and back up your position. While I don't know every crook and nanny of MW's system, I knew it had to be MW or something completely different the moment I saw "to hit" in your list. I mean, To-Hit in Oblivion?, WTF man :lol:
I was actually aiming it at Drago's post, and he stupidly included Morrowind in it:
DragoFireheart said:

At any rate.
Does it make Skyrim a good RPG? No, it's still a shit RPG. "B-B-But why can't they make a good rpg, why do they have to get rid of everything that's goo? bwaaaa". It's fucking Bethesda FFS, what were you expecting? Should we cut it slack just because it looks pretty and can actually be fun to play? No. But don't come here with dogmatic bullshit about how it's not an RPG (yeah, you too VD, fuck you too) or how it's worse than Oblivion just because it lacks (or has vastly reduced) a particular layer of abstraction that you think is the core of RPGs without without thinking it through.
RPG system = stats and character development, success of actions taken depend on character's skill. TES's RPG system is getting more shallow and sucky for every new game, this from a series which by game #2 had one of the best and most ambitious RPG systems conceived. But I can see you already agree with that part, so that leaves how Skyrim is as 'just a game'. In which case it also sucks, for reasons I've probably mentioned quite a few times in previous posts. That's kinda what befuddles me; usually when people say a game is good I can at least see something in it that people might like. With Skyrim, not so much.

attackfighter

Magister
baronjohn said:
Wyrmlord said:

I guess playing a fighter is more fun in Skyrim then. All I did as a caster in every fight was either dual cast fire bolt to stunlock enemies or summon dremora lords. No tactics, no variation.

That seems to be the case. I also played mage and thought it was terrible and repetitive combat, yet I see all these posters circle jerking over the combat presumably because they played warrior and warrior is an awesome, tacticool experience.

Teepo

Scholar
Playing as a warrior in Skyrim is very strategic.

And I mean strategic under strict dictionary definitions.

On that note I think I'm gonna fire up some ME2.

Gerrard

Arcane
Pausing the game by opening the inventory and drinking 15 potions is extremely strategic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom