Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Skyrim's Level Scaling is pretty good!

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Mud'

Scholar
Everyone should play Enderal, though... what a great game. Making the best out of what Skyrim scripting can do. Sure, the combat is still left click spam until everything is dead without strategy, but the world is just so much more interesting.

And yes, the Skyrim level scaling IS less retarded than the Oblivion one, but that isn't exactly saying much.

Mortal Enemies + TK Dodge + Wildcat (with some tweaks here and there) makes the combat way more fun than just spamming left click until everything is dead.

And that fight could come much later, if you don't follow the main quest right off the bat. My first playthrough I was probably 10+ hours in when I did that. On harder modes it's a challenging fight at low levels too, relatively.

The harder difficulty sliders just bloat the fuck out of the AI HP, the fights themselves are not challenging, they are just damn tedious.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
You know what?
As long as we understand the OP's statement similarly to "this tumor is pretty benign" I actually agree.

It's definitely something you can live with, unlike, say, Oblivion's.
It's also something you'd rather not have at all.
Oblivion has OOO, which kills level scaling. There is nothing like that for Skyrim. Requiem doesn't kill level scaling.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Oblivion has OOO, which kills level scaling. There is nothing like that for Skyrim. Requiem doesn't kill level scaling.
I remember OOO using all sorts of bullshit mechanics, though, like humongous HP bloat, insane damage reflection and health regen on the tougher enemies.

Also, it's still Oblivion.

DraQ

Arcane
You know what?
As long as we understand the OP's statement similarly to "this tumor is pretty benign" I actually agree.

It's definitely something you can live with, unlike, say, Oblivion's.
It's also something you'd rather not have at all.
Oblivion has OOO, which kills level scaling.
Placing a cherry on top of a turd doesn't transform it into delicious cake, quality of cherry (or lack of thereof) notwithstanding.
At best it wastes a perfectly good cherry.

There is nothing like that for Skyrim. Requiem doesn't kill level scaling.
U wot m8?

Mod's description states that:
Requiem said:

Guess what? Cursory examination of mod's records with TES5Edit also shows no evidence to the contrary.

Soo...
Pics Evidence or GTFO.
:rpgcodex:

I could only see it working with a set plot heavy boss battle that is expected to be tough and the scaling it done to make sure the player can't out level the encounter and stomp over it, but that's not how it's ever used that I can think of.

Skyrim itself has a few instances (Boss level = PC level + x), like Alduin, Ulfric and Mercer Frey. But since level doesn't say much about how strong your character is, it's not a guarantee that you won't stomp them.

The harder difficulty sliders just bloat the fuck out of the AI HP, the fights themselves are not challenging, they are just damn tedious.

Ackshually it reduces damage caused and increases damage taken. Not a big issue past the beginning given how disgustingly strong you can get eventually.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
I'm eagerly awaiting Fluent's next couple of threads...

"Oblivion was more incline than we realized!"

and

"Fallout 3 - Third time's the charm!".

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm thinking it's more likely to be:

"Arcania is actually a pretty good Gothic 4!"

Or perhaps he'll flip it and say, "I'm playing PS:T and it's actually shit!"

In a way, I'm glad he made this thread because I was getting tempted to try ES:Online due to his recent blogging in the MMO forum, but now I know he shills for Fallout 4 I know what a low bar he sets for a game worth playing.

Rules Lawyer

Literate
I'm eagerly awaiting Fluent's next couple of threads...

"Oblivion was more incline than we realized!"

and

"Fallout 3 - Third time's the charm!".

I'm convinced i only enjoyed fo3, fo4, and new Vegas due to nostalgia. Fallout 1 was released during my freshman year of college and blew my mind

DraQ

Arcane
I could only see it working with a set plot heavy boss battle that is expected to be tough and the scaling it done to make sure the player can't out level the encounter and stomp over it, but that's not how it's ever used that I can think of.
You could indeed make a case for this kind of scaling, but I would argue that this is a band-aid solution that doesn't really touch underlying issues with advancement or combat systems. Still it is probably the only case where your standard level scaling (as in not something that refers to actual in-universe power adjustment) could be a legitimate solution.

Incendax

Augur
Your loss Shackleton . ESO is a damn fine game, damn fine.
ESO is a pretty game, and there is a lot of good voice acting, but you can go a long time without finding any story worth giving a shit about. And that’s after they overhauled the early stories. It’s actually weird as hell that FF14 is the MMO with the best story these days.

Funposter

Arcane
Morrowind has scaling. It's about the same as Skyrim, if not moreso even. Give Skyrim a shot, it's great and much better than the memes would have you believe.

Morrowind's level scaling applies exclusively to random spawns of creatures, primarily Daedra (Daedric Shrines, Molag Amur and Grazelands regions), Undead (tombs) and Ash creatures (Sxith House bases, Red Mountain regions). The difference between Skyrim and Morrowind, is that Morrowind has far more dungeons which are explicitly designed to be dangerous, with fixed NPC levels and equipment, as well as fixed spawns of dangerous enemies such as Winged Twilights in Berandas, named Ascended Sleepers in Sixth House bases, or named Vampires in tombs. I'm struggling to think of high level dungeons in vanilla Skyrim, with the exception of Nordic ruins featuring Dragon Priests, such as Forelhost, which is a minimum level of 24, meaning you'll be facing Draugr of at least 'Scourge' quality, and Deathlords wielding Ebony weapons are not guaranteed, as your OP implies.

Here's the thing, though. In vanilla Skyrim, you will be the level recommended to visit almost all of these dungeons within 5-10 hours of gameplay, or they will be so far-flung from the places that players usually visit, that only a high levelled PC will bother seeking them out. Apart from fighting Giants and Mammoths in the overworld, and going to Shearpoint too early (radiant quests can tell the player to go there at Level 10, which is legitimately dangerous), there isn't much that the regular Skyrim player won't be able to breeze through. Here are the encounter zones, and as you can see, the only real danger to the player comes from the Dragon Priest lairs. Yes, the player can encounter Falmer a little bit too early and have a difficult time, but it's unlikely.

If we were to compare the amount of "danger" available to the player, Skyrim has its six Dragon Priest lairs, which are mirrored very obviously by Morrowind's Sixth House bases featuring Ash Vampires. On top of this, we now need to consider various Daedric ruins featuring NPCs of levels 15-25 (the latter of which is considered explicitly endgame by Morrowind's standards), just about any of the vampire dungeons such as Galom Deus, Ashmelech, older Dunmer strongholds such as the previously mentioned Berandas, etc. etc.

tl;dr Skyrim has six whole dungeons designed for higher levelled PCs, while Morrowind has three or four times that many.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
You need to step up your game, Fluent
Play FF XIV and claim it's the best MMO ever. Now THAT will bring lots of attention.

Deleted Member 16721

85 hours into the Special Edition and loving it! You can't tell that loot or enemies are scaled, they did an excellent job hiding that fact. The loot progression and character development are top notch.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom