Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview Slovaks check in on The Witcher

suibhne

Erudite
Tags: CD Projekt; Witcher, The

For those still wondering about <a href="http://www.thewitcher.com">The Witcher</a>, ostensibly to be released sometime during the 1998-2007 decade, Slovak site <a href="http://www.sector.sk">Sector</a> just published <a href="http://www.sector.sk/clanok.asp?id=25141">a new interview with CD Projekt PR Manager Lukasz Mach</a>. Here's a promising snippet:
<br>
<blockquote>Player’s choice is not only important for further quest results, but also is an effect of player’s actual feelings about the things that happen. That’s very engaging, when every decision is subjective and brings a different solution with following consequences. Also, the most important choices have their effect much further in the gameplay, just to avoid loading the game to check the alternative way out. You’ll also notice a butterfly effect sometimes, when banal situations can cause quite important consequences in the story. We’re on the opinion that thanks to those features we got very close to the atmosphere of the book, which we hope players also will feel.</blockquote>
<br>
The interview doesn't offer much new information, but it's a good review of the game's sources and basic approach - particularly its combination of real-time reflex-based combat with branching, non-linear storylines and long-term consequences for player choices.
<br>
<br>
In other news, this author humbly suggests that Mr. Mach lead an online seminar for PR Managers for other CRPG development houses, covering vital topics such as telling the truth and not being smarmy. (Not that I'm thinking of any <i>particular</i> PR managers for any <i>particular</i> American RPG developers, no sir.)
<br>
<br>
Spotted at: <A HREF="http://www.sector.sk/clanok.asp?id=25141">Sector</A>

suibhne

Erudite
Hmm, I just noticed that RPGWatch also posted this and used the exact same pullout quote. Not intentional, as for once I spotted this one independently. :wink:

My primary concern about this game is whether they'll actually deliver on all the promises of nonlinearity. Such words have been emptied of all meaning by the shameless prevarication of American developers, so I've lost sight of the beautiful dream. :lol:

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Well not really new stuff here, although of course the promises sound as sweet as always.
I hope they deliver, their promises, while definatly very ambitious, are clearly different from the Beth Marketing Hype who use words like "non-linear" as buzzwords without understanding their meaning.

The delayed consequences of choices are a good example here, finnaly some dev who seems to have a clue.

Cant wait for that damn game to be released finaly.

Durwyn

Prophet
Sapkowski's books wich Witcher is based on are truly a masterpiece of fantasy literature. Too bad that Witcher will not be based on actual story from The Witcher saga, but it's something like sequel to last book, aproved by sapkowski himself. Too bad that they made it action RPG, cos' although that The Witchers main character is a warrior and monster killer, battles and fights was the minor thing in books. More important was story (briliant and original, but with few cliches) and witchers morality.

Amasius

Augur
I've read some of the translated short storys, good stuff. I don't mind the realtime combat if only CD Projekt captures the atmosphere of Sapkowskis books.

Educated
Durwyn said:
More important was story (briliant and original, but with few cliches) and witchers morality.
Have to agree about the rest, but it was the main idea behind the book to take most frequently used cliches and modify/combine them in an most interesting manner. So it's not surprising when some situations seen in 'Wiedzmin' resemble something seen quite often (there are all main elements of today's pulp fantasy: elves, dwarves, dragons, magick etc. - but surprisingly they don't seem to be that cheesy anymore). In my opinion Sapkowski succeded in this not-so-humble task, and that is what makes the books so good.

And the game sounds quite promising - even very promising for an action-(c)rpg. But I'm still worried about the overall atmosphere of original Witcher, as it seems to be very hard to adapt that fantasy world into any medium, because of its devastation and unfriendliness at the end of the last book. It doesn't seem to be impossible but just bloody hard to do.

Hazelnut

Erudite
Sounds real nice to me. Can't say I'm turned off by the real time combat personally, but then I suppose I'm not a RPG purist.

One thing I hope that CD Projekt can and do achieve is a finished and polished final product. Take the time it needs guys!

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I hope I will be able to buy a version with full Polish VA. I don't know a word Polish but I pick up languages rapidly and I know that Polish sounds wickedly vicious and voluptuously wonderful.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
The German guy thinks Polish sounds sinister??? Christ, German wins the gold medal for scary sounding languages.

zioburosky13

Educated
Even thought I'm not a Fantasy setting lover, I might get down and play this game for the choice-and-consquence part. Too bad for the action-combat :?. And uncustomizable character.

Greatatlantic

Erudite
I'd probably be looking forward to this game a lot if the developer weren't "unproven" and if I didn't fear unenjoyable combat dominating most of the game. However, it remains very high on my "Radar".

Dhruin

Liturgist
Just curious: is there a "proven" developer with an RPG you are looking forward to?

bozia2012

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again!
Jasede said:
I hope I will be able to buy a version with full Polish VA. I don't know a word Polish but I pick up languages rapidly and I know that Polish sounds wickedly vicious and voluptuously wonderful.

You bet! Also it will feature real actors! Buying US version you're risking hearing some voices from OB... (i.e. cowboy-style argonians FTW!)

For me the biggest problem is that the game will be hack'n'slashy... Battles and fights in the books were rare but very dramatic. Most of the monsters had deadly reflexes, strength or other "special powers" (i.e. undead "fluids" are deadly so even a tiny scratch is a threat). Fights required days of preparation and using potions was necessary (witcher potions have powerful side effects). Geralt is no Conan-type character, he always tried to avoid fights (or solving the problem the forceful way). There are many intelligent "monsters" which are not necessarily evil (even humans can sometimes be good) etc.
/jibberish

lilithn

Novice
bozia2012 said:
Goddamit!!! Read them books!!!
Goddamit!!! Translate it to a language I can read! Preferably English or Hungarian.
I won't learn Polish even for teh Witcher and Sapkowski.

Btw. 'Lesser Evil' was awesome.

My hands are itching to get this game, though I need to stamp down on my excitemenet out of defense. Oblivion robbed me of my game-waiting virginity and naivity.

lilithn

Novice
Amasius said:
I've read some of the translated short storys, good stuff. I don't mind the realtime combat if only CD Projekt captures the atmosphere of Sapkowskis books.

storieS? Where are the others? I have found only the Lesser Evil, and the Malady.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Jasede said:
TAU:
Well, German students speaking Polish must be the ultimate doom then: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiuS36sKq9Y

Let me tell you from the perspective of a both german and polish native speaker: Yes it sounds horrible ;)

On the other hand, it's really cool to see any germans at all wanting to learn our language :salute:
Ive even met some german girls who study Polonistik here in Warsaw.

Durwyn

Prophet
I heard that all Sapkowskis The witcher books are going to be translated to english soon. I wonder how the translators will manage to translate all the polish archaic words, wich are common in sapkowskis books.

@ 27
I agree, Sapkowski managed to modify cliches in a brilliant way. Elves are hunted, forced to be bandits. Dwarves, although that are tolerated, in cities, they live in ghetto's.
To bad that The Witchers game story will miss Ciri character - even more important main character than Geralt. Sapkowskis strenght lies in dialogues - sometimes funny as hell, sometimes they force you to think about serious cases. Sapkowskis world isn't black and white, nor shades of grey. Just shades of black.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That's not really something special, Durwyn... Whoever thought out the Dark Sun campaign setting was just as good, if not even a better worldcrafter. I don't think you should give a writer credit just for coming up with an interesting world.

caliban

Scholar
Hmm, are the English translations of the stories official or just translated by some fans? 'cos I saw "Lesser evil" once and the translation seemed... well, not bad maybe, but not as good as I'd like it to be. It'd be cool to see a full, professional English translation of all Sapkowski's works.

Anyone knows who is the translator for the upcoming collection of short stories?

Durwyn

Prophet
Well it's not just an interesting world. Sapkowskis managed to create great world, which he populated with belivable, non 2D characters, and chain all of them in to great story about destiny, man morality, faith, love. If you read the saga, you'll find how many serious cases Sapkowski touches : abortion, slavery, war terror and many more. And they are all hided behind his writings. Maybe im just hyped but i haven't read any book which authors writing style would be better than sapkowskis ( maybe Ryszard Kapuścińskis - too bad he died two days ago).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom