Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

SMAC Multiplayer Game - Nevill vs BROzil

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
In this thread I challenge The Brazilian Slaughter to a duel.

All rules are at his discretion. I suggest these ones:

1. A player is not permitted to establish contact with another player prior to having met them in-game.
2. A player may not use build queue manipulation or other loopholes to hurry production at a cost that would be lower than directly hurrying the item that one intends to build, except for the first 10 minerals
3. A player may not use build queue manipulation or other loopholes to build something you could not directly add to the build queue.
4. A player may not upgrade a particular type of unit using the design workshop, and then attack with that unit in the same turn.
5. A player is not permitted to make more than one social engineering change per line, per turn. For instance, one is not permitted to start the turn in wealth, switch to power mid-turn for the extra disbanded minerals, and then switch back to wealth that same turn, getting the refund.
6. Stockpiling in build queue allowed when building units. (of course when building sp/facility too, but it's not needed to do anything to gain those bonuses too)
7. Upgrading crawlers before adding them to hurry a secret project is not allowed.
8. Reverse-engineering allowed, except for reversing basic units, such as Speeder chassis from a Probe Team, amphibious pods from Colony Pods etc.
9. Additional move after former builds something and his flag is gray is not allowed.
10. Messing with other players (represented by AIs) during Council meetings is NOT ALLOWED. You can't let AI override the player's vote.
11. Probe team actions are NOT PUNISHABLE by automatic vendetta. If a player wants to start a war over a probe action, they must initiate it manually. The responce over the probe actions defaults to 'Overlook' until it's the affected player's turn. (in PBEM the player using a probe decides the reaction of a player against whom the action was taken)
12. Self-destructing units with Fusion reactor or better is not allowed. The self-destruct formula allows to destroy any number of units by detonating two 10-1-*^2 Jets/Copters in the adjacent tile. Disbanding units to get rid of them is perfectly fine, though.
13. All game-relevant information (Global warming warnings etc.) that only displays for the first player should be provided to the rest of the players too.
14. Retiring units is prohibited, period.
Players must 'Obsolete' the designs, not retire them. Retiring a design erases all instances of the design from the game, including thoise that belong to other players. This is obviously unacceptable.
15. Trading bases with AI via diplomacy is prohibited. Gifting them bases is allowed, though.

Additionally, I present any of these for consideration:
a) Empath Guild, Planetary Transit System and Cloudbase Academy are BANNED.
b) Crawlers are banned
c) Drop pods on combat units are banned
d) A player can own no more than 40 bases at any given time.
e) You can't capture AI projects. An AI base with a Secret Project must be destroyed or gifted back to AI.

Questions that we need to decide:
I) Random map, hand-made, or Map of Planet? What size and characteristics?
II) Just the two players duel, or more? A duel would be MUCH faster.
III) Unity Pods - on or off?
IV) SMAC or SMAX? Patched with custom patches, or vanilla?

Last edited:

Dayyālu

Arcane
I suggest to The Brazilian Slaughter to surrender immediately, you can't beat the Eternal Russian.

(And the horror stories about Nevill and SMAC have echoed enough to reach my ears. Nevill , when you are going to hear the call of your blood and buy Dominions, to reinstate again Complete Slavic Domination?)

Nevill

Arcane
At this point in time? Probably when I get fired. Buying games is no problem, the problem is I have 200 games in the backlog that I bought but didn't play...

I have not touched a game besides SMAC multi for a year, I think. I couldn't even free enough time to play Fallout: Nevada or Resurrection. :negative:

And the next free time I have I will be devoting to finishing the goddamn Vangers LP anyway.

Nevill

Arcane
What's so bad about the Empath Guild?
Nothing bad, and compared to the other two it's downright harmless. Just an effortless Infiltration, and given that it provides 50% more votes, the opponent likely won't become the Governor either, so no counter-intel. Might be worth it for 200 minerals, though.

If you want to keep it, we can keep it. Those are just suggestions that were mostly considered to make the game more fun. I have a few others, like limiting the max attack by max researched armor*2 on units (does not mean you need to armor units, but you need to research armor which NO ONE DOES, because tech tree is stupid), but this is considered too hardcore by most, so I don't insist.
I find big codex games more fun, but would be fine with either.
A duel then. Too easy to get delayed otherwise. Though if you know consistent players, you could invite them, I suppose.
I was thinking SMAX, Binary Dawn.
Hmm. Do you have any experience playing this? It's a curious mod, quite different from vanilla, but it has its own imbalances (and the delayed Value civics piss. me. OFF!). You probably won't find many players for modded ganes, though.

MercantileInterest, what's the latest build?
Unsure. When I play with unity pods on, my navy becomes the Sea Scavenger Service.
Yeah, it tends to give big rewards for sea exploration, and could get ridiculous with green factions. I generally prefer to keep them off and concentrate on the game instead of the pod roulette.

We could use that map of planet we were using - remember, the one with SMAX landmarks that I altered to eliminate a bunch of needless monoliths? I think I found it recently.
Fine by me. So then... install the latest BD and go? I will create the game, just send me the map.

What faction do you want? I'll probably try the Believers or Peacekeepers... maybe Domai?

Nevill

Arcane
Do you still have the map I told you about?
Nope. I hope you have it.

Oh, the most important question, Blind Research or Direct?

Tell me when you are ready and I'll create the game. Which faction do you want for the second game? I'll take Domai.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom