Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

God of War reboot - now on PC

Silva

Arcane
Nier's best version is on the PS4 tho. The pc port was shit.

Agree on the PC port is shit part, but have to disagree on the PS4 being any better, you can fix up the pc port with the mod and get solid 60 lock, maybe throw in some sweetfx to fix the blandass look of the game too. It's just standards are different for PC and consoles, Dark Souls PC port is shit but it is still better than the console version.
Yep, until it crashes and you're forced to go back half an hour in the game (or worst: redoing that entire Nier intro :lol: ).

McPlusle

Savant
Joseph Anderson genuinely hurts me, he is the worst, he is like one of those "faith healers". He is fuckin slime, he is the worst I have encountered ever. Stop watching him, go watch people who are genuine like Noah Caldwell-Gervais or MrBToung(or read thenoctunalrambler), they genuinely love the medium and respect it, they are worth listening to.
Noah Caldwell-Gervais is a fucking moron who bashed VtM: Bloodlines for having boobs.

Both Noah Caldwell-Gervais and Joseph Anderson ended up being massive letdowns to me. The former regularly gets absurdly wrapped up in the politics and viewpoint of a game to the detriment of having a real conversation on it, and the latter tends to rather simply just miss the forest for the trees. I get the impression that the longer format of their critiquing style gets them to start thinking more along the lines of how to fill up an hour or two rather than giving each game as much or as little attention as is needed to deliver their thoughts on the matter. The end result is typically more pointlessly negative and nitpicky than it is genuinely informative or exhaustive.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not criticizing either one for finding fault with any particular game. Deliberate improvement is impossible in the absence of constructive criticism. It's more the general attitude and tone of their work that I'm starting to find grating and insufferable. I appreciate both attempts at providing more complex critique than the traditional journalistic style of "durrrr I liked it" or "durrrr I didn't", but in both cases, I don't think that their approach to the art of "ripping someone else's work a new one" is particularly sound.

Hyperpube

Scholar
For fuck sake the Valkyries really don't play around. Managed to kill two of them so far but the other two I found just wrecked me hard. Will have to come back later when I get some better gear. How far is everyone else?

I just got out of alfheim after fighting the dark elf dude, now I'm just going to go exploring around the Lake of Nine, and do some of the sidequests the dwarf merchants gave

Last edited:

Kem0sabe

Arcane
The trials are really hard, I managed to get to the third sword arena but am getting owned by the dark elf boss with adds that turn him invincible unless destroyed.

One thing for which the balance feels off is the amount of exp and money you get. I'm only level 3 and I have almost every skill purchased for me and all of them maxed out for atreus.

Wolfe

Arbiter
I believe at least one other skill tree will appear at some point, giving you something to spend those points on.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
Noah Caldwell-Gervais is a fucking moron who bashed VtM: Bloodlines for having boobs.
Yes. But writing off his entire work based on minor political and moral differences seems moronic.

The former regularly gets absurdly wrapped up in the politics and viewpoint of a game to the detriment of having a real conversation on it,
I have watched all his videos, true he dedicates a few minutes to it when the issues prop up. But certainly not to the derailment of the game in question.

I don't think that their approach to the art of "ripping someone else's work a new one" is particularly sound.
I don't know where you get this from but he certainly does not nitpick much.. he spents most of the time dedicated to explaining the intricancies of the said game. The only game where he was genuinly bashy was me andromeda and only because of the severe dissapointment he had with it. Next time pay attention to the video.

Anyway writing off a persons work completely because of minor personal differces seems narrow minded. He has a lot of great things to say. You just lack the patience to listen.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
The trials are really hard, I managed to get to the third sword arena but am getting owned by the dark elf boss with adds that turn him invincible unless destroyed.

One thing for which the balance feels off is the amount of exp and money you get. I'm only level 3 and I have almost every skill purchased for me and all of them maxed out for atreus.

Are you also leveling up the Runic Attacks and Runic Summons? Those are quite XP intensive.

Kem0sabe

Arcane

Are you also leveling up the Runic Attacks and Runic Summons? Those are quite XP intensive.

I knew i was forgetting something... :negative:

I've just leveled the character skills, havent leveled any of atreus summons or my runic attacks.

The former regularly gets absurdly wrapped up in the politics and viewpoint of a game to the detriment of having a real conversation on it,
I have watched all his videos, true he dedicates a few minutes to it when the issues prop up. But certainly not to the derailment of the game in question.

I don't think that their approach to the art of "ripping someone else's work a new one" is particularly sound.
I don't know where you get this from but he certainly does not nitpick much.. he spents most of the time dedicated to explaining the intricancies of the said game. The only game where he was genuinly bashy was me andromeda and only because of the severe dissapointment he had with it. Next time pay attention to the video.

Anyway writing off a persons work completely because of minor personal differces seems narrow minded. He has a lot of great things to say. You just lack the patience to listen.
I could've worded my original point better, but I separated it as "politics and viewpoint" because I was referencing the overall perspective offered by a game. As an example, Caldwell-Gervais' video on Tyranny focused almost exclusively on the game's perspective on institutionalized, culturally accepted evil. I'll admit that it's been a while since I've seen that particular video, but I was very surprised at his complete failure to discuss the game's problems as an actual video game.

I will note that the videos where he goes nuts on politics and damned games for coming from a place he either didn't understand or didn't like are few and far between, but they also hardly constitute good critique and end up on the same level as some of Polygon's tripe. He has some good points to make, and as I said in my original post, I appreciate both his and Anderson's attempts at more complex game critique. At the end of the day, though, neither critic has an overabundance of great insights to share. Insulting me as being narrow-minded and impatient won't change that.

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Seeing people say"oh my god, it's all a single-shot!" about this game. Games have been movies for so long people now think this is something to be impressed by.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
As an example, Caldwell-Gervais' video on Tyranny focused almost exclusively on the game's perspective on institutionalized, culturally accepted evil. I'll admit that it's been a while since I've seen that particular video, but I was very surprised at his complete failure to discuss the game's problems as an actual video game.
Understandable.

At the end of the day, though, neither critic has an overabundance of great insights to share. Insulting me as being narrow-minded and impatient won't change that.
You argument didn't feel solid enough the last time, my bad on the insult.

I must disagree though, where Joseph Anderson rambles on without understanding what the game itself is trying to accomplish, Noah tends to focus on what the game tries to achieve with it's narrative. You cannot expect one critic to be the end all, I will never trust Noah on his gameplay analysis because he isn't skillful enough nor is he dedicated enough on that front, but his narrative critique is second to none and generally offers interesting insights on his perception of the story and world, which is always quite interesting with his fine articulation.

Last edited:

Big Wrangle

Seeing people say"oh my god, it's all a single-shot!" about this game. Games have been movies for so long people now think this is something to be impressed by.
One-takes received somewhat of a resurge in popularity with movie watchers, so I guess that kinda dripped into games. There are things to praise about the new GoW, like the snow physics and art direction, it is one of the best looking renditions of Norse mythology. But the camera is the least of it and just ignores the other stuff.
As some film critics would say, merely being one-take doesn't matter. It's about how it's paced and prepared.

Keppo

Arbiter

There is nothing hard in making game a single-shot. You can move camera whatever you want in video game. In movies you have set, environments, moving actors and other techincal difficulties which are non-existent in video game. Idk what is about that "one-shot" meme in God of War.

Doktor Best

Arcane
First impressions (not that far into the game):

The game so far is really fun. Plays like a mix between God of War and Dark Souls. The new perspective works better than expected but you have to rely on the indicators atleast when there are many enemies with ranged attacks. The game is much less button mashy than the older titles as there is only a really tiny invincible frame window with your dodge and you cant "cancel" animations. It also plays slower than older God of War titles.

I think making the gameworld more open was a great move. The enviroment is goddamn beautiful and exploring it is alot of fun even with the basic "collect currency for upgrades" system. Secrets are also well placed.

The puzzles are on the easier side so far but by far not as braindead as Skyrim "puzzles". they are about on Dark Siders level. The game in general reminds me alot of Dark Siders, only with about 10 times its production value.

There is a shitton of epicness in this game. If you care for that, youre in for a treat. Could be offputting for people coming from Dark Souls.

There is nothing hard in making game a single-shot. You can move camera whatever you want in video game. In movies you have set, environments, moving actors and other techincal difficulties which are non-existent in video game. Idk what is about that "one-shot" meme in God of War.

Well i suppose theyre appreciating the technical achievement of having no loading screens, although it is pretty obvious that there are passages implemented in the game for the sole reason to confine the player in a closed enviroment so it could load data.

Its okay. Nothing jawdropping, but better than ordinary loading screens.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Joseph usually either tells or shows me what I want to know about a game in his critiques, therefore he suits me better than the other bunch.
He occasionally gets stuff wrong, but whatever. He's a human being after all.
Also has a different playstyle and preferences compared to me... He doesn't seem to mind bullet-sponginess at all and really enjoyed his no-upgrades run in hollow knight, or fighting the valkyries and bosses in GOW '18 underlevelled and undergeared.
I despise bullet sponges... I'm fine with armor and weakpoints and such, but if all it takes to defeat a boss is to more or less repeat an exact set of moves/attacks/blocks literally 100 times to whittle down the health bar 1% at a time, then no thanks.
Give me some high skill stuff to pull off to kill the boss faster (half-sword under the armpits or something... Yeah, it'll never ever happen).
He's also much more completionist than the other reviewers seem to be (on average).
He pissed off 4chan or whatever when not loving the new zelda and mario games 1000000%, and I'll never understand the ire he can draw, but whatever. I don't care about either game anyway.

Noah I watch occasionally, but as mentioned above his political crap is insufferable. He also rarely tells me what I want to actually know about a game. He seems more like a cultural commentator. The narrative stuff doesn't interest me as much as the gameplay and such.

Btongue has some good stuff like the diablo vid and so on. I also agreed with a lot of his conclusions about the ME3 ending. He doesn't make videos much anymore, after people dared to talk back to him after his aGG comments. Oh well. He's on Shamus Young's blog writing about game of thrones now.

Bunnyhop I liked a lot in the past, but he hasn't been doing as much these days and most of it isn't of much interest to me.

One thing all of them have in common, compared to a lot of mainstream games media types/RPS retards is that they're all unquestionably gamers, as can be seen from their material and insights into different aspects of various games.
Probably the reason I more or less stuck with all of them (even Noah, who appears to be mentally stuck in his college gender-studies class).
Joseph simply gives me more of the info I want than the others do. I can more easily form my own opinion on a game watching his stuff than I can from watching the others (save maybe some earlier bunnyhop). And it's not terribly difficult to figure out what a game wants to accomplish with it's narrative, so I don't need much info on that from a critic.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
And fwiw my opinion on nuGOW keeps improving, keeping in mind that it's still a bunch of AAA tropes put in a blender, but at least it's done well enough.
It does modern console AAA better than the other console AAA stuff I'd say.

McPlusle

Savant
I wrote of Joseph Anderson entirely when he said "turn-based combat is boring" and did the same for Bunnyhop when he complained that there's backtracking in Symphony of the Night. I guess it doesn't take much for me to see them as braindead.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
I wrote of Joseph Anderson entirely when he said "turn-based combat is boring" and did the same for Bunnyhop when he complained that there's backtracking in Symphony of the Night. I guess it doesn't take much for me to see them as braindead.
Ah, that's a good point. Thing is, after watching his streams (had nothing to play, so whatever) and his comments at the beginning of some of his vids, it seems he hasn't played to top of the line of western turn based games.
He did play and like FF tactics though. Also apparently liked Persona 5's turn based system ok.

But if you take into consideration what the bulk of the turn-based games he's played esp. in recent times are, it becomes easier to understand his comment imo. I think his opinion might change a lot if he tried out JA2 and old xcom and such...Games with a more simulationist bent than the typical modern simplistic crap.
That comment did irk me as well, though. But his opinions mostly aren't why I watch his stuff.

Don't recall bunnyhop's comment. He's made other comments that have bothered me, but oh well.

Dedicated_Dark

Arbiter
You are making Joseph Anderson seem alright. But having watched quite a few of his videos with intense attention, he is terrible. There is no critic worse than Joseph due to his sheer pretense. He doesn't even understand most of the mechanics and disregards history and even outright lies. So he can suck a cock for all I care.

And it's not terribly difficult to figure out what a game wants to accomplish with it's narrative, so I don't need much info on that from a critic.
You assume what you see is all that you get. Perspective is important. Well.. whatever.

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
You are making Joseph Anderson seem alright. But having watched quite a few of his videos with intense attention, he is terrible. There is no critic worse than Joseph due to his sheer pretense. He doesn't even understand most of the mechanics and disregards history and even outright lies. So he can suck a cock for all I care.

:D

bminorkey

what i like the most about it was how "fun" they made the lore, with the boat stories, the dialogue, the talking head jokes and all that

you never feel loredumped

obsidian could learn a lot from this game

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom