Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

So... Anno 2070

Discussion in 'Strategy and Simulation' started by Data4, Mar 23, 2013.

1. Data4 Arcane

Data4
    I've never played any of the Anno games, so this will be my first time getting into it. Any tips on how to get the most of it? Info dumps, your own pet strategies, etc.? I want to approach this in as :obviously:a way as possible, and a stroll through the search here shows Anno 2070 gets a generally favorable opinion, so....

^ Top  
  2. CreamyBlood Arcane

CreamyBlood
    I'm playing it now. I've played 1701 and 1404 so I knew what to expect and this is great, I've wasted many hours on it this week. I would say just go with the campaign, if you need help along the way use the wiki or watch a youtube video. Lot's to do and learn, I refer to the wiki all the time. Excellent series and this might be my favourite out of the ones that I've played so far. Watching this isn't really a spoiler:

I was going to go to bed but now I've got to check up on my city. Just three more hours.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's a great game, apart from the Ubi online shit and thousands of DLC packs. It's basically the same engine as 1404 but futuristic. I'd say 1404 is the best but this is a close second and it has a lot more content, even in the vanilla game. The only reason I like 1404 more is the setting and the ridiculously stereotypical factions of the new game put me off a bit at first (Unethical Corporate Douchebags/LIBRUL Hippies/Irresponsible Scientists). I'd agree that just following the campaign is the best way to do it, it's a lot easier than previous games but still takes a fair amount of balancing production and transport.

Just be warned, if you're expecting combat, the Anno series is not for you.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  4. Trojan_generic Magister

Trojan_generic
    Strap Yourselves In
    Is there anything worthwhile in the DLC packs? My prettier half has played it and I bought her the expansion 'under the sea' or something, boxed. Looks like she played the campaign and played a bit with the expansion but hasn't touched it since.

^ Top  
  5. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Nope, they're all cosmetic pretty much. Only reason I have them is I bought the whole package on a Steam sale. Deep Ocean is the exception, that adds a lot of stuff for the tech faction but they call that an expansion and not a DLC.

^ Top  
  6. Raghar Arcane

Raghar
    Start with campaign, first few missions are trivial and you have plenty of time to goof around.

^ Top  
  7. Heresiarch Prophet

Heresiarch
    The bloom is just too much in 2070.

^ Top  
  8. J1M Arcane

J1M
    Play 1404 instead. It is vastly superior.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  9. asongforsimeon Educated

asongforsimeon
    I have all the DLC on steam. I find the setting very refreshing. But, for some reason, the pacing of the game strikes me as really too slow and somewhat boring. In the campaign there aren't simply enough things going on for my tastes. I'm not saying this is a bad game, on the contrary is generally well made. Just two cents here.

^ Top  
  10. Turisas Arch Devil Patron

Turisas
    Any of them worth a damn? And is the Deep Ocean expansion any good?

^ Top  
  11. asongforsimeon Educated

asongforsimeon
    AFAIK, some DLC are rewards that you could have unlocked playing some global online events. Good, I would say only if you really like the game, because I don't think A2070 has a problem of too limited content out of the box, and DLCs add just that. About the expansion, I played too little to say anything right now, but seems to be in the same vein.

^ Top  
  12. CreamyBlood Arcane

CreamyBlood
    I thought the campaign was too short as well, in fact it almost seems like they ran out of time and didn't include the final two chapters. I found it was good enough to get me back into the groove of things. I'm almost finished the Jorgensen scenario and might try a few others before doing a continuous run. I don't have any of the expansions or DLC and find there's plenty to keep me interested for now.

^ Top  
  13. Humppaleka Cipher

Humppaleka
    Any way to turn off the eye-watering bloom (without turning everything off/low)? That is a major factor if I were to purchase this. Everything else points to a good game.

^ Top  
  14. CreamyBlood Arcane

CreamyBlood
    Not sure, I'm using default video settings I think, I haven't tweaked it.

My guess is that the bloom isn't as obvious when you're playing it because you're so busy moving around the map. It does look blinding in screenshots though. I think I only really noticed it when I got the third road upgrade. Those things reflect light.

^ Top  
  15. Jiggy Boobles TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™ Patron

Jiggy Boobles
    Post-effect intensity in the graphics options. Although like Creamyblood says, it's MUCH less noticeable in the actual game than in screenshots.

^ Top  
  16. Astral Rag Arcane

Astral Rag
    Tried to reinstall the game today, this happens when I attempt to launch it from Steam:

[​IMG]

edit: Manually downloading and running the installer results in:
    [​IMG]

what a piece of trash

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
    • Despair Despair x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. thesheeep Arcane Patron

thesheeep
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    libcef, back in 2013! Oh my.

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.