Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

So, any reasons to get a top gaming pc nowadays? (already have PS4)

Discussion in 'General Gaming' started by nomask7, Jul 13, 2016.

1. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Are there any decent games that require or benefit greatly from the best current hardware?

I've heard that Borderlands 2 is awesome with PhysX set to full.

Anything else?

• :M :M x 4
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. SerratedBiz Arcane

SerratedBiz
    gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8

• Bad Spelling x 6
    • Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Racist x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    upboated

• retadred retadred x 2
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Durandal Arcane

Durandal
    Dwarf Fortress

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Talby Arcane Patron

Talby
    Codex USB, 2014
    Solitaire.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    It's not a bait. My current rig is dying, so I have to gauge in what manner I want it replaced. That's all.

Granted, in a sane world I wouldn't need to ask this question, but there are two issues here:

1) Maybe there really isn't anything much that would justify a gaming PC.

2) Old 3D games sometimes have glitches on new machines. For example, I've heard that Gothic 2 has issues on Nvidia graphics cards, so it's hard to justify buying the best stuff if there's nothing I can use it for, even older games.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Morality Games Arcane Patron

Morality Games
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Unless you intend on playing Star Citizen, no.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. pippin Guest

pippin
    play twitcher 3

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf
    It's always worth it to heave top of the line PC, just to ask in every thread - "Hey, guys, I have tirple gtx1080 and i9-9900k, will I be able to run it on high in decent framerate?"; call everyone filthy console peasants, and post old PC Master Race memes.

• Funny x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. markec Twitterbot Patron

markec
    Codex 2012 Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    Heavily modded Skyrim looks gorgeous but it needs a rather strong PC.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Beowulf Arcane

Beowulf

If it's on PC, than why the actual fuck is he using a fucking gamepad? Peasant at heart.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 5
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    I don't get the value proposition for videogames

Spend $2000 to build a nice PC, buy a game for $50 then spend 60-200 hours zoning out and playing the game. Learn nothing, gain zero life skills, put up with toxic online community, fall further from God, etc...

Even if you sit around and flip burgers you'd at least make $500-$2k in that time. If you really want to play games just play old shit on your current PC. Nothing has changed with games in the past 20 years besides graphics.

• retadred x 7
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    So what exactly am I supposed to do with that $500-$2k? Please indulge me and imagine that I have my basic needs covered and that that money I would be making by flipping burgers would be gratuitous. If I can't buy entertainment with it, what should I use it for?

What should I "learn" and why? Which life skills should I "gain" and why? As far as I can see - and with my 70 or thereabouts insight points I can see pretty far and I can see the Old Ones devouring the cosmos - and as far as I can see, all worlds that are successful end the same way: need for entertainment and nothing else. I live in that end world. Why flip burgers for money?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Coma White Educated

Coma White

^ Top  
  15. Angthoron Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Angthoron
    Someone still intends to play it? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    What do you gain from any kind of entertainment? What do you gain from watching movies, listening to music, are any other form of media? Sorry, but your reasoning is fucked up. The value proposition for videogames and any other entertainment that you relax, feel good and recharge your batteries which are drained during flipping burgers.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Carceri Arcane

Carceri
    For the immersion of course.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. pippin Guest

pippin
    Not all games are multiplayer, you know.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Daedalos Arcane The Real Fanboy

Daedalos
    Lol classic thread title. Inviting plenty of butthurt and angry spergin' - 10 / 10.

If you don't know WHY you should play PC games over peasant games (and thus acquire a decent PC to play them), brother, let me tell you, you're probably in the wrong forum, asking the wrong kind of questions.

Plenty of games simply look far and beyond what you find on consoles. But most games get developed with consoles in mind, so naturally, you will always have that limiting factor in mind.

Now, games made just for PC, that's where it truly shines.

#PCMASTERRACE

ps. Who the fuck plays games with pads? Get a keyboard and mouse, or kindly go fuckurself :D

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Goromorg Savant

Goromorg
    If you're like competitive FPS you may need to upgrade your rig to play Midair. You won't need top PC for that though, unreal engine 4 shouldn't be very demanding.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxlJCIO3K3E&feature=youtu.be
    Regarding RPGs - you'll be able to play all new demanding ones like twitcher, divinity OS 1&2, (maybe?)cyberpunk 1337 on your ps4.

• :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Dawkinsfan69 Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Bethestard

Dawkinsfan69
    My point was that flipping burgers is about as demanding and entertaining as playing any game but at least there's some economic value to flipping burgers and there's some socialization involved. Games today are designed for and marketed towards children. It's a drain and both a time and money sink.

The only difference between modern games and retro games are updated graphics and that's an unending climb. If you buy a top gaming PC today it's going to be obsolete in about 3 years when VR/4k/8k/16k/32k res takes off. But blowing up those zombies in crispy HD will certainly look pretty.

IDK how a gaming PC is worth the time invested to earn the money to buy it + the cost of the games + the time you're going to blow playing the games.

There's absolutely nothing for someone over the age of 15 to gain from most media today. Media is a sewer built for adolescents.

Good that gaming and movies and cheesy nachos and memes discovered "batteries" in humans some 20,000 years into their existance and provided a source of "recharging" as if sleeping a third of your life isn't enough.

:updatedmytxt:

Games made for PC can be played on computers from 2005, no need for a top PC.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Endlösung Unwanted

Unwanted
    Isnt chestshitter on welfare? Does it matter for him?

• Racist Racist x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    The real question is why you need a PS4.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  24. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have much experience of either activity. There are many decent games, new and old, there are even some great games, new and old, and these new and old games are no more similar to each other than a dude's and girl's ass. You can attempt to fuck both, and shit sometimes comes out of both, but that's about where the similarities end.

I was interested in whether there's anything decent that requires top-line hardware or something close to that. I'll decide on a case by case basis whether the person who recommends something is someone worth listening to. In this case, anyone who thinks that there are no games worth playing is not worth listening to for me. They either don't know what they're talking about or they're so different from me that I might as well be speaking to an alien lifeform.

Why do you find this conversation so interesting that you need to comment on it? Seems like you'd benefit from SOME MORE work, manboon. You have too much time in your hands if you find yourself drawn to comment about the economical situation of random people on the internet. Get another job to complement your current one, manboon. At least the rest of us won't need to hear from you so often.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2016
    ^ Top  
  25. nomask7 Arcane

nomask7
    For one of the best games ever made: Bloodborne.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.