Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, any reasons to get a top gaming pc nowadays? (already have PS4)

nomask7

Arcane
Are there any decent games that require or benefit greatly from the best current hardware?

I've heard that Borderlands 2 is awesome with PhysX set to full.

Anything else?

nomask7

Arcane
gr8 b8 m8 r8 8/8

It's not a bait. My current rig is dying, so I have to gauge in what manner I want it replaced. That's all.

Granted, in a sane world I wouldn't need to ask this question, but there are two issues here:

1) Maybe there really isn't anything much that would justify a gaming PC.

2) Old 3D games sometimes have glitches on new machines. For example, I've heard that Gothic 2 has issues on Nvidia graphics cards, so it's hard to justify buying the best stuff if there's nothing I can use it for, even older games.

Beowulf

Arcane
It's always worth it to heave top of the line PC, just to ask in every thread - "Hey, guys, I have tirple gtx1080 and i9-9900k, will I be able to run it on high in decent framerate?"; call everyone filthy console peasants, and post old PC Master Race memes.

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
I don't get the value proposition for videogames

Spend $2000 to build a nice PC, buy a game for $50 then spend 60-200 hours zoning out and playing the game. Learn nothing, gain zero life skills, put up with toxic online community, fall further from God, etc...

Even if you sit around and flip burgers you'd at least make $500-$2k in that time. If you really want to play games just play old shit on your current PC. Nothing has changed with games in the past 20 years besides graphics.

nomask7

Arcane

Spend $2000 to build a nice PC, buy a game for $50 then spend 60-200 hours zoning out and playing the game. Learn nothing, gain zero life skills, put up with toxic online community, fall further from God, etc...

Even if you sit around and flip burgers you'd at least make $500-$2k in that time. If you really want to play games just play old shit on your current PC. Nothing has changed with games in the past 20 years besides graphics.

So what exactly am I supposed to do with that $500-$2k? Please indulge me and imagine that I have my basic needs covered and that that money I would be making by flipping burgers would be gratuitous. If I can't buy entertainment with it, what should I use it for?

What should I "learn" and why? Which life skills should I "gain" and why? As far as I can see - and with my 70 or thereabouts insight points I can see pretty far and I can see the Old Ones devouring the cosmos - and as far as I can see, all worlds that are successful end the same way: need for entertainment and nothing else. I live in that end world. Why flip burgers for money?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath

What do you gain from any kind of entertainment? What do you gain from watching movies, listening to music, are any other form of media? Sorry, but your reasoning is fucked up. The value proposition for videogames and any other entertainment that you relax, feel good and recharge your batteries which are drained during flipping burgers.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Lol classic thread title. Inviting plenty of butthurt and angry spergin' - 10 / 10.

If you don't know WHY you should play PC games over peasant games (and thus acquire a decent PC to play them), brother, let me tell you, you're probably in the wrong forum, asking the wrong kind of questions.

Plenty of games simply look far and beyond what you find on consoles. But most games get developed with consoles in mind, so naturally, you will always have that limiting factor in mind.

Now, games made just for PC, that's where it truly shines.

#PCMASTERRACE

ps. Who the fuck plays games with pads? Get a keyboard and mouse, or kindly go fuckurself :D

Dawkinsfan69

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Bethestard
So what exactly am I supposed to do with that $500-$2k? Please indulge me and imagine that I have my basic needs covered and that that money I would be making by flipping burgers would be gratuitous. If I can't buy entertainment with it, what should I use it for?

What should I "learn" and why? Which life skills should I "gain" and why? As far as I can see - and with my 70 or thereabouts insight points I can see pretty far and I can see the Old Ones devouring the cosmos - and as far as I can see, all worlds that are successful end the same way: need for entertainment and nothing else. I live in that end world. Why flip burgers for money?

My point was that flipping burgers is about as demanding and entertaining as playing any game but at least there's some economic value to flipping burgers and there's some socialization involved. Games today are designed for and marketed towards children. It's a drain and both a time and money sink.

The only difference between modern games and retro games are updated graphics and that's an unending climb. If you buy a top gaming PC today it's going to be obsolete in about 3 years when VR/4k/8k/16k/32k res takes off. But blowing up those zombies in crispy HD will certainly look pretty.

IDK how a gaming PC is worth the time invested to earn the money to buy it + the cost of the games + the time you're going to blow playing the games.

What do you gain from any kind of entertainment? What do you gain from watching movies, listening to music, are any other form of media? Sorry, but your reasoning is fucked up. The value proposition for videogames and any other entertainment that you relax, feel good and recharge your batteries which are drained during flipping burgers.

There's absolutely nothing for someone over the age of 15 to gain from most media today. Media is a sewer built for adolescents.

Good that gaming and movies and cheesy nachos and memes discovered "batteries" in humans some 20,000 years into their existance and provided a source of "recharging" as if sleeping a third of your life isn't enough.

Not all games are multiplayer, you know.

:updatedmytxt:

Now, games made just for PC, that's where it truly shines.

#PCMASTERRACE

Games made for PC can be played on computers from 2005, no need for a top PC.

Last edited:

nomask7

Arcane
My point was that flipping burgers is about as demanding and entertaining as playing any game (...)

Honestly, it doesn't sound like you have much experience of either activity. There are many decent games, new and old, there are even some great games, new and old, and these new and old games are no more similar to each other than a dude's and girl's ass. You can attempt to fuck both, and shit sometimes comes out of both, but that's about where the similarities end.

I was interested in whether there's anything decent that requires top-line hardware or something close to that. I'll decide on a case by case basis whether the person who recommends something is someone worth listening to. In this case, anyone who thinks that there are no games worth playing is not worth listening to for me. They either don't know what they're talking about or they're so different from me that I might as well be speaking to an alien lifeform.

Isnt chestshitter on welfare? Does it matter for him?

Why do you find this conversation so interesting that you need to comment on it? Seems like you'd benefit from SOME MORE work, manboon. You have too much time in your hands if you find yourself drawn to comment about the economical situation of random people on the internet. Get another job to complement your current one, manboon. At least the rest of us won't need to hear from you so often.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom