Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, anyone playing League of Legends?

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Last game on lolking.net, 5/2/15 with 10,994 gold and Ashe I was laning with was 6/1/11 with 11,207 gold.

Games like these, your build is either win-more or jeopordize your lead.

Good site, brofist to whoever posted it.

:bro:

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So what's peoples pet names for things ingame? Off hand I can think of the following I use:

Rabaddon's Deathcap -> Wizard Hat
Phage -> Hammr
Frozen Mallet -> Big Hammr
Philosopher's stone, heart of gold -> The thingie and stuffie. Eg. "Brb. I'mma port back to buy the thingie"
Needlessly Large Rod -> Overcompensation Stick

Reject_666_6

Arcane
Blasting Wang is a KDX favourite, and adding 'blade' to the name of every AD item - Infinity Blade, Frozen Blade, Youmuu's Bladeblade...

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
So just had a ranked game. Ifgured I had to screenshot the post-game chat 'cause noone would believe me otherwise.

Qfzzc.jpg

People complimenting the support? WAT IZ THIS!?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
for the enemy team as well? Yeah. It's usually lag when I shunt enemies over a wall according to them.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
Technically, yes, but don't go around spending all your IP on new champions, because you'll need it to buy runes.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Eh... if you play a sane amount of time you will still get them slower than they come out. You'd have to play like six hours a day to get them all at a reasonable speed. Probably longer.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
well I play 2-3 games most days, a bit more on weekends. I got all champs and I earn IP faster than I can spend it on the new champs.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Let's look at the numbers:
To buy all new champs you'd have to earn around 6300 IP every 14 days. My calculator tells me that's 450 IP per day. Win bonus is 150, so yeah, if you play 2 decent length games every day and win one of them that will be enough to buy all new champs. Of course, this assumes you're not buying anything else and even worse, that you'll want to buy all new champs.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I have trouble believing that!

Edit: Fine, I believe it. Games take forever, though.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Generally you don't buy all champs. In fact, you're better off not buying a single champ until you hit 30, just grabbign whatever's on the free rotation and leanrign what all the different characters do that way.

Once you hit 30, there is probably a specific role or two you like, at which point you should splash IP on a rune page for that. Then a few champs and going from there. If at some point you're lv30 with a couple of 100 wins you probably ventually end up going "fuck it" and buying a bundle. But by then you've already sunk hundreds of hours ito the game so it's decent value fo rmoney then.

Leave grabbing every new champ that comes about to oldfags like me. Focus on learning the ones already there in the free rotation and pick up 1-2 of them if they suit you. Most of the older champions are 25-50% of what the new ones cost and generalyl a safer investment viability-wise since they are less likely to see large changes in upcoming patches.

HanoverF

Arcane
Patron
MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'd say get enough cheap ones to do normal draft, unless there's less trolls in blind pick normals on EU servers.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I usually play with friends so it's not really an issue. That said, you can get several champions dirt cheap.

First up, there's alistar and tristana, both of which you can get for free along with a skin through riots facebook promotions. That's 0 IP spent right there.
Second, the following champions are 1) Available for 450 IP, which you shoulf get in 3-4 games and 2) Considered decent, competitive picks:

Annie (the baseline against which bursty mages are usually compared)
Ashe (probably the best all-round AD Carry in the game)
Soraka (pretty decent support)
Poppy (high skill cap tanky dps)
Ryze (pretty popular tanky mage)

You can also get:
Kayle (support/carry. Kinda meh atm, but due to get a buff next patch)
Master Yi (pubstomper. Sort-of lulzy.)
Nunu (babys first jungler. Can also be played as support or solotop)
Sivir (carry situationally really good in certain team compositions)'

For both these champs, the free week champs and pretty much everythign else, always consider looking up a guide before playing them to get an idea for which skills are critical and what items work well with them. there are usually 3 go-to places for guides.

-- solomid.net likes masturbating to authors ELO ratings. The guides don't always bother explaining the reasoning behind their reccomendation, making them more of a quick reference than an actual way for new players to learn. Stick to approved/featured guides and you can usually find a cookie-cutter levelling/item build and a few pointers while waiting for the loading screen.

-- Leaguecraft.com lets pretty much everyone write a guide and relies on viewer ratings to sort the good from the bad. Always check when the guide was last updated since several of the highest-rated guides are many, many months out of date. They usually do a better job explaining champions for new players even if their builds are often suboptimal.

-- mobafire.com is an alternative to solomid.net. They have a few highly unorthodox yet surprisingly effective guides over there.

Again, I hasten to add you should probably play to level 30 without spending ANY IP/RP at all. Just play the free champs and learn which roles you like and if there are any champions you paticularly enjoy. Then, once you hit 30, invest your hard-earned IP in runes that match them and unlock them. If you decide you might want to stick with the game for a while after hitting lv30, consider grabbing a champion bundle. Yes, you have to pay real money for them. But it frees up your IP to get runes and the champions in the bundle are *heavily* discounted.

If those aren't enough for you, you can also get the following champs for 1350 IP (21% of what newly released champs cost):

Alistar (You can get him for free through facebook promotion. Support, jungler. Can be played AP too).
Amumu (Very good tanky jungler. Requires runes/masteries before his jungling becomes reliable. don't get until lv 30ish)
Cho'Gath (Mediocre jungler, situationally very good top lane. Can be played tanky/AP)
Dr. Mundo (Goes where he pleases. FotM jungle/solotop)
Evelynn (Don't get her)
Fiddlesticks (AP Jungle. Requires level 30 and runes before his path becomes safeish)
Garen (Solotop pubstomper extrodinaire. Very easy to learn. DEMACIA!)
Janna (One of the best - if not THE BEST support int he game. See this. (Item build section outdated)).
Jax (Jungle/solotop. Kind of meh. Riot never really figured out what to do with this guy. Usually trash but periodically hilariously OP after a remake before nerfs hit again)
Malphite (Jungle/solotop. Decent tank but there are usually better picks).
Morgana (Best AP carry bar none. High skill cap. Always banned in ranked).
Nasus (Pubstomp solotop tanky DPS. Farm-happy but has several hard counters. Dangerous to play in blind pick or firstpicking in draft).
Singed (Requires a special kind of madness to do well with. Highly disruptive tank solotop tank).
Sion Fairly strong, easty-to-learn bruiser. Usually played solotop, solomid or jungle. Farm-happy, high burst).
Taric (Truly outragous support. Pretty decent when paired up with certain carries. Can off-tank).
Teemo (Really, really annoying. Usually solotop. Builds attack speed, AD or AP).
Tristana (Pretty decent but underappreciated AD carry. you can get her for free along with a skin through the facebook promotion).
Tryndamere (Pubstomp solotop/jungle champion. You'll tear people a new one with this guy until you get close to lv30 and they learn how to counter him. He falls off signifigantly when people know how to handle him).
Twisted Fate (Somewhat difficult to learn AP mid. If you stick with him you can pull off some epic ganks, but more likely than not you'll end up feeding. Nerf bat has hurt him hard).
Veigar (Supremely bursty AP carry. Highest burst damage late game bar none, especially against enemy AP carries).
Warwick (solotop/jungle. Babys first jungler #2. Can be jungled even at low summoner levels with noo runes, like nunu)
Zilean (support/ap carry. Pretty decent but not gamebreakingly OP)

TL;DR -- don't bother getting newer champions with IP just yet. For the same IP you'd pay for, say, Fiora, you could get a 10-champion bundle like: Alistar, Tristana, Ashe, Annie, Soraka, Janna, Morgana, Warwick, Master Yi and Poppy

DakaSha

Arcane
I have all champs under 4800 except 2 from playing alone.
Apart from that i have spent some money and have maybe.. half? of the 6300. Just a wild guess though. Could be alot more or less lol. I just buy whoever is on sale

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ah. right. Alistar + unchained skin for subscribing (then unsubscribing, lulz) on jewtube. Tristana + riot girl skin for liking on a dummy facebook account.

[edit]

I lol'd @ #3

Jim Cojones

Prophet
So just had a ranked game. Ifgured I had to screenshot the post-game chat 'cause noone would believe me otherwise.

People complimenting the support? WAT IZ THIS!?
I've had a couple ranked games as a support after which I was complimented and got some friend invites from other players. Happens sometimes.

Pipeweed said:
Great! Looks like one can earn reasonable amount of stuff playing regularly. I better get an account in west europe though, don't feel like playing with other thirdworldians :eek:
There's more players from the Codex on EUNE server, though. :p

Ulminati said:
Amumu (Very good tanky jungler. Requires runes/masteries before his jungling becomes reliable. don't get until lv 30ish)
I've jungled him on my NA account, being level 2. Didn't have any problems. You probably need to start with cloth armour + pots but that's the only downside. He won't be counter-jungled in low level games and newbies people can't deal well with ganks or dodge skillshots what makes him an extremely powerful pick.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom