Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Crysis Remastered

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Crysis 1 is still the best of the series, althougth I also like 2's campgain and some small improvements they've made to the gameplay.
Mainly how easy switching suit modes is. That radial menu restricted alot of cool stunts you could pull with the suit if the modes were tied to key inputs (for example: double tap W key to switch to Speed mode, press SHIFT to start sprinting and then double tap/hold SPACE to perform a power jump that is boosted by the maximum speed).
In addition to the Suit Shortcuts setting that Multidirectional mentioned, you can also edit an .xml file to bind the suit modes to whatever key you want.

Go to Documents\My Games\Crysis\Profiles\[name of your profile] and open actionmaps.xml.
Then find the lines for "speedmode", "strengthmode", "defensemode" and "suitcloak" and type in whatever key you want, like this:

<action name="speedmode" onPress="1">
<key name="e"/>
</action>

<action name="strengthmode" onPress="1">
<key name="mouse3"/>
</action>

<action name="defensemode" onPress="1">
<key name="q"/>
</action>

<action name="suitcloak" onPress="1">
<key name="lalt"/>
</action>

I never use leaning, so I bound Q and E to armor and speed to mimic the more fluid suit controls of the sequels. And since I don't use the radial menu, the middle mouse button now activates strength mode.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Subjective really, and I'm pretty sure the brightness can be adjusted anyways.

It's not about a simple gamma/brightness adjustment. They added a ton of new light sources, and bloom effects. Maybe there's a mod that removes them though, I dunno. Anyway which you prefer is preference, but trust me they're very different versions of the game, which was my point.

Silly Germans

Subjective really, and I'm pretty sure the brightness can be adjusted anyways.

It's not about a simple gamma/brightness adjustment. They added a ton of new light sources, and bloom effects. Maybe there's a mod that removes them though, I dunno. Anyway which you prefer is preference, but trust me they're very different versions of the game, which was my point.

Bloom is visual cancer and blur its vicarious agent, there is only one choice.

laclongquan

Arcane
They. NEVER. Learn.

Seeing all that images showcase very clearly their sense of marketing: zero.

Whenever you want to showcase a graphical engine you either go for full bloom fantastical outdoor to wow. OR. You can go for the close up look at a nekkid elf/darkelf/alien girl upto and including their freckle spot.

WHO. THE. FUCK. would want to look at a helmet figure? Weirdo?

Matador

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Crysis 1 was cool in concept and looked great but is boring. It's a shame they didn't improve the concept in the sequels.

Couldn't stand the bullet sponge generic soldiers and weak stealth implementation. The gunplay is not great also.

Although no FPS, just play MGS V if you want a good game to to play recon Predator in Open Map. Or any well done Recon ARMA 3 mission.

AW8

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
bullet sponge generic soldiers
They die from 3 bullets from the common assault rifle. Using a silencer decreases your damage a lot though.

and weak stealth implementation.
I think it's good enough. The cloak is fluid and simple to use, and enemies tend to spray at your last known location for a good while, forcing you to relocate. I wish the latter half of the game had introduced ways for the enemy to counter your cloak though, instead of the awful aliens.

The gunplay is not great also.
Come on, any game where you can equip a shotgun with a scope and one-shot enemies from 30 meters away has to check the "Good gunplay" box by default.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I really don't get the people who constantly call Crysis boring. I think that just became "the thing" to say about it and people regurgitate it. If you treated it like a crazy playground you could have a lot of GTA style fun in it, and if you play it as a stealth predator it's probably one of the best games ever for that approach. I had tons of fun with Crysis and its expansion.

schru

Arcane
I wish I could have fun with it, but for some reason it's both banal or tedious to play compared to Far Cry, which had excellent flow and a real sense of challenge (and it's not a case of nostalgia or wanting to be contrary, because I started liking Far Cry only after playing Crysis). The cinematic plot and all the scenarios and scripted sequences related to it only drag down the game, while the maps and scenarios that remain aren't that good before the game turns towards the big-battle crescendo and becomes simply uninteresting afterwards. The suit powers are rather tedious to use because of the short time the suit power lasts—I'd rather the game were harder to compensate for giving more power to the player than limiting him to the option of toying with one of the special modes for a very brief time. The combat seems arranged to feel a bit more realistic, but it somehow feels much easier than in Far Cry and at the same time more tedious. Regenerating health and armour might have a lot to do with it. The visuals of the enemies and their surrounding also feel more distracting, and then the view-point animations and weapon sounds, as well as the weapons themselves, just don't look or feel very interesting compared to Far Cry or in general. The weapon attachments are all rightish, but also mostly irrelevant.

It just feels like Crytek failed to remember what made Far Cry fun in the midst of making more detailed jungle graphics, fixating on the concept rather than actual implementation of suit powers, and adding an offensively atrocious cinematic plot.

Last edited:

schru

Arcane
Yeah it's was a real challenge not to pop a vein when dealing with the bullshit AI and specially those bullet sponge mutants fucks
The only problem with the AI was that it could see you too well and too often through vegetation, otherwise its excesses were perfectly tolerable in the face of fun encounters the game facilitated. The mutatants actually die pretty easily if you shoot them in the head and since they're so mobile, it makes for a nice, tense challenge. I thought the game was bad in that regard at first too.

jew_basic.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom