Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So bad it's hillarious english dubbing of japanese games?

Hellraiser

Arcane
See thread, I'm looking for games that similar to the below example of Lezard from Valkyrie Profile managed to rape whatever vision the original VA had, and somehow (maybe) unintentionally ended up sounding like a surprisingly hilarious gag dub made by some team four star wannabes.

Japanese Lezard- serious sounding master of magicks, full on chad, bitches hear that voice and just want to jump on his dick.

American Lezard - sounds like Zero from GTA: San Andreas or another hollywood geek LARPing and shouting LIGHTNING BOLT cringe

Reeks of WIMP, but is done so over the top full on cheese that intentionally or not it makes you smile, especially when his plan is revealed a bit later into the chapter.

This dub's quality also made his reveal of why he wants to lure a Valkyrie even more so hilarious.

You expect the guy to start saying "excelsior", probably due to the faux old english speech reminding me of cliched DnD nerd portrayals in old shows. Yet still I just can't help but laugh at it, just like with the "It looks like you picked the wrong party to crash" guy in Tenchu. I probably have low standards for humor.

I saw a comment somewhere that playing the undub version of Valkyrie Profile is a crime against camp, so I guess I am not alone. I can see (hear) why.

tl;dr - Any games with so bad it's hilarious dubbing (like Lezard from VP) rather than so bad it sucks (like Tidus in FFX).

Last edited:

Hellraiser

Arcane
Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
wtf Arngrim surprised me. That's usually a rugged old man voice in 90s anime, I didn't know women could do that.

Hellraiser

Arcane
wtf Arngrim surprised me. That's usually a rugged old man voice in 90s anime, I didn't know women could do that.

Just as I suspected yesterday, it was a tranny:

Madeleine Joan Blaustein (born Adam Blaustein, October 9, 1960 – December 11, 2008), also known as Kendra Bancroft. She was known for her voice acting work for 4Kids Entertainment, DuArt Film and Video and NYAV Post, for her reprising role as the character Meowth from the Pokémon anime series and for comics written for Milestone Comics, in which she introduced one of superhero comics' first transgender female characters. She was the first intersex and transgender voice artist for many of her respective agencies.[1]

Smigle

Literate
Pretty sure you could find exceptional cis female VA's who'd pull this off too.

Adenocaulon

Educated
as a non english speaker i find most of jrpg and anime english dubs very unnatural, the voiceactor modulate like they where talking to children in a classroom so i always use original voice acting even if it necessary to mod the game files.

Unwanted

Ataraxia

Unwanted

Do note that while the V.O. might be bad, the gameplay and story itself is not. In fact I would argue that the boss fights in this game are some of the most challenging and exhilirating experiences you can have in the entire JRPG genre, and there are plenty of them in this game.

And while the story and character itself can be stereotypical and tropey, as is the case tend to be for jrpgs, those very same tropes(not all) ended up being subverted in interesting ways and characters become more nuanced and 3 dimensional in their portrayals later on, as the story progresses and develops.

TL;DR - Game is good but was, and still is, undeservedly mocked and derided because of the poor voice acting.

deuxhero

Arcane
I've heard claims Arc Rise Fantasia's VA actually gets better as it goes along, as though everything was recorded in chronological order and everyone learned acting during the production. Even if true, not sure why anyone wouldn't just get the undub.

Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean is an... interesting one. The main cast is OK, if a bit hammy, but the side characters get horrible. This is all made worse by the dumb desssion (which existed in the original Nipponese audio) to apply a post-processing effect to the audio to make it otherworldly (but really just sounds like bad audio quality) based on how close/distant your connection to the main character is. Thankfully this can be disabled by turning on surround sound, which you should do if you play the game (it's fantastic and the existence of 100% speedruns is hilarious).

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Star Ocean 4 is the king of cringe:

Lymle is probably one of the worst characters ever and her English voice acting just made it even worse. Not that SO4 had better voice acting for the other characters. Lymle seriously irritated the shit out of me. Luckily Tri-Ace corrected that with one of the greatest games ever made : Resonance Of Fate.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom