Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Battlefield Series.. Not what I expected..

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
Jesus fucks, all he needs to do is dip behind a corner for 2 seconds and everybody loses him.

Destroid

Arcane
JrK said:
Destroid said:
What's the maximum FOV you can select? In beta the option was locked.
90. You don't see shit if you're looking through your x12 scope though, which is what most of those lame snipers are doing. Sniping with holo sight, now that's badass.

You know, it's funny that one of the original ideas behind getting a widescreen display for games was because it would offer a more comfortable view for shooters. But instead the FOV has shrunk or remained the same so all we end up with is a smaller vertical viewing angle.

Trash

Pointing and laughing.
It inspired me to try and use c4 exclusively in close combat. Quite tricky to get the hang of it but goddamn can it be powerfull. It's also a tank killer on the servers with 32 players. Often tanks there won't have a machine gunner to keep you away. Pretty neat to take down such a beast. Kinda annoying as well as I love to play with the IFV and every time I get a gunner it's waiting to see if he's just going to bail/use me as a taxi or actually keep assholes with c4 off my back.

And switching from turret to driver back and forth yourself means seeing some asshole jump in and drive you straight unto a mine or in the line of fire. :lol:

Destroid

Arcane
I used to find it funny fighting 1v1 in BF1942 with the half-tracks that healed you in the back... switch between driver/gunner/healing in the back, that and doing the mount/dismount dance in tanks against guys with anti tank weapons.

DakaSha

Arcane
the only reason this shit works with tanks is because 99% of morons get in tank and head for the frontline in a straight line without thinking.
Its a tank. you are supposed to stay in the back and blow shit up. Not charge into some ally surrounded by enemies (who are guaranteed to ALL have c4 of course)

Also: Proximity scanner. Fucks these c4 assholes and "im gonna lay a tank mine right in front of you" jerks up real good. Free kills

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Even with Proximity Scanner the regulars would have problem focusing on the main screen and that tiny little map below.

Zoom the map up close and you can't see the big picture.

Zoom it all the way out, and you won't spot those infantry or able to gauge enemy distance effectively.

Little annoyances like that adds up.

Ivory Samoan

Liturgist
Trash said:
I absolutely hate it when the single crash of the evening is during the best game of the evening. Fuck that.

And I suck at choppers. Absolutely suck at them. Any tips?
If you by chance have an xbawx controller handy they are dandy for flying helos.. I went from 'Private Down Syndrome' to 'Semi-Competant Flyboy' in 2-3 games.. I assume you've already done it, but hit up Fire from the Sky (coop 2nd mission) as much as possible, you'll be flying ace in no time.

On the Xbox tip - any Codexers rolling the friendly skies on XBL? - my gamertag is djakademik : battlelog : ivorysamoan
Also, speaking of Battlelog/Facebook, what a cluster fuck it was to link my gamertag/id to battlelog.. jesus fucking christ... 3 live chats to EA, 4 emails and a 2 minute phone call (hung up once I found out it was expensive as balls) to get it sorted.
Considering 2.2 of the 5 million first week sales were xbawx units, you would think EA would be less cunt-like.. sado bastards.. :lol: :lol:

Loving the 416/Holo/Grip/Supressor - Silent and Violent. :) :)

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Indy Sandbag Trick said:
Trash said:
I absolutely hate it when the single crash of the evening is during the best game of the evening. Fuck that.

And I suck at choppers. Absolutely suck at them. Any tips?
If you by chance have an xbawx controller handy they are dandy for flying helos.. I went from 'Private Down Syndrome' to 'Semi-Competant Flyboy' in 2-3 games.. I assume you've already done it, but hit up Fire from the Sky (coop 2nd mission) as much as possible, you'll be flying ace in no time.

Jesus fucking christ!! - in previous games you could just jump on an empty server and get all the practise you needed. Now you can't move unless there's enough players to make a match!!! :x

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Wow I tried the campaign. Crashed twice and died from retardation before I decided it ain't worth it.

Steve

Augur
TV missiles for the attack chopper are insanely good, I was flying with my brother yesterday and he went 54/4 as the gunner.

It's too bad the pilot gets only about half the score the gunner gets.

Bruticis

Still learning the ropes but I'm enjoying it for the most part. Am I missing something on TDM modes or is it normal to get spawn camped 90% of the time? It's a lot of fun to respawn and be instantly killed by the same guy that just blew my head off a few seconds ago.

JrK

Prophet
That's normal, no spawn protection. I experienced the same crap in BF2 and BC2 and am glad they finally made a large part of the map out of bounds for the other team on conquest.

Now they should spend time making maps where you don't have to cross giant reaches of open space before getting to some flags.

hoopy

Savant
Steve said:
TV missiles for the attack chopper are insanely good, I was flying with my brother yesterday and he went 54/4 as the gunner.

54/4? Was the entire enemy team AFK? Or do helicopters still have that God Mode chaff? It was one of the worst things about BC2.

Steve

Augur
hoopy said:
Steve said:

54/4? Was the entire enemy team AFK? Or do helicopters still have that God Mode chaff? It was one of the worst things about BC2.

When both players are high ranked and coordinate their flares + extinguisher they're very hard to bring down

Bruticis

Lots of people whining about the Q key for spotting on the official forums. Do non lefties actually NOT use WASD layout? If so, why?

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Bruticis said:
Lots of people whining about the Q key for spotting on the official forums. Do non lefties actually NOT use WASD layout? If so, why?

Meh. I use a N52te for FPS's like BF3 and a G13 for everything else (game wise).

Both fully programmable, so I never use in-game key remapping - I just remap the keys on the pad to my liking. So what normally would be the F key is what I use for spotting. D-Pad for crouch/prone (up/down) etc.

But anyway - when a game has full key-remapping, why the hell do people complain about what key does what?

Bruticis

I've thought about those a few times in the past but it would be hard for me to give up my mechanical keyboard. Why do you use the G13 for everything else? The N52 always looked more comfortable to me, I think it's adjustable, no? Also, I like the thumb button position on the N52 over the G13. The G13 just doesn't look as comfortable to use.
Oh and I fucking HATE Razer, so I'd love to hear any excuse to stop looking at the N52 over the G13.

Casus belli

Liturgist
Does anyone else here play on hardcore servers? I used to play on them exclusively in BC2 and decided to give normal mode a try in BF3 just to find out I absolutely suck. I try a few games on a hardcore server and I start getting kills and play generally much better. I don't know why exactly, maybe after years of Arma I'm just hardwired to a more "realistic" mode.

JrK

Prophet
Bruticis said:
WASD is for retards. ESDF is where it's at. More natural place on the board + a whole extra row of buttons for mr pinky to use.

RE: hardcore. It's often called 'easy mode' for that reason. More bullets required to kill a guy = you gotta be better. In normal mode with the 'orange dorito' spotting, you've got to be a lot more careful about how you move and who you shoot. Don't kill a guy and you'll give away your position and he'll come back to kill you.

IRNV still screws everything over.

MCA
I agree, as much as you may dislike unloading a whole clip to kill someone, it serves to differentiate players of different skill levels much better.

Does anyone tell if the game is region locked?

Elim

Augur
Project: Eternity
I need one Magazine per Kill.
I do not use girly burst fire or single shot, real man handle the recoil and shout insults.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom