Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Battlefield Series.. Not what I expected..

MetalCraze

Arcane
Anything that gathers enough people.

Last time it was some random L4D2, KF, Payday matches and organized IWD1 gatherings, but chzr is away and he's our only tank so it's on indefinite pause.
I think right now dudes also try to play SWAT4 and Age of Empires but I don't participate in them so I dunno for sure.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
As far as the engine is concerned - always makes me laugh when I hear retards complaining when trying to play modern games on decade old hardware and/or machines barley capable of running MS Office. Which seems to be common here at the codex - "but if it can run Fallout, it should be able to run BF3!".

BTW, I know the machine your trying to run the game on must be shit, because even my secondary rig gets better than 30 FPS on medium settings and it's an old 3ghz CD2/4GB/HD4870.
I have an identical setup, so why are you claiming my system is shit and yours isn't? One us certainly is a retard, but it isn't me.

Yeah, sorry for the retard comment - when I posted that last night I had a massive toothache and was self medicating with bourbon so wasn't really in a good frame of mind. Fuck, now I have a toothache and a hangover.

Anyway, you really made my point for me. You're complaing about getting bad framerates from a new game on a what - 4 year old video card?

I got this on PS3 (before you start judging, it was a gift from my brother with the only purpose being to play *with* my brother). I enjoy it fairly well... is this worth getting on PC to play with my Codexian bros?

Absolutely - It's a much better game on PC.

Get ArmA2 instead.

Or get both as they're not really comparable. One is a combat simulator, the other is just balls out fun with few nods to realism.

Never played ARMA2 or really any shooter since Battlefield 1942 way back in the day... I may pick one (or both) up for PC. Hopefully this piece of shit will run it well.

hoopy

Savant
Is there to some trick to knifing? It almost never works, and just now I had to stab a guy four times at point blank range before he died. And even then the game didn't actually register the kill. After that I stabbed another guy at point blank range and again it had no effect. Other people seem to have no problems knifing me though.

Also fuck aerial vehicles. They are almost uncontrollable even with a 360 pad. I've never hit anything with them, and I usually die quickly anyway because of missile lockons that are impossible to defend against without flares. And how do you get flares? By getting kills with aerial vehicles. But you can't do that because they are impossible to control and you'll get shot down almost immediately after takeoff. I assume everyone else is using flight sticks or something because I can't fathom how they're able to get kills otherwise.

JrK

Prophet
You need to knife from the side/behind to get the kill animation. On prone guys/mortar guys there's a smaller sweet spot. If you don't have the kill animation knife only does 33 damage.

"impossible to control aerial vehicles" LOL l2p.

hoopy

Savant
Yes, surely it must be my fault that the controls for aerial vehicles are borderline unplayable. It's not like the developers are responsible for them or anything! They only made the game.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
There are flight training servers, go to one of those and get used to controlling the planes. Once you can fly and aim it's not that hard to get enough points for the basic unlocks.

hoopy

Savant
There is no getting used to it because the controls are completely, hopelessly fucked.

DICE should go play some Saints Row 2, which has very smooth and intuitive controls for helis and planes.

JrK

Prophet
Yes, surely it must be my fault that the controls for aerial vehicles are borderline unplayable. It's not like the developers are responsible for them or anything! They only made the game.
Sure the air vehicles must be at fault, since you cannot control them even though there are plenty who can. Makes sense sir I agree. :salute:

Seriously, just admit that you're not that good and get to practice if you want to fly.

OuterSpace

Scholar
I think the flying difficulty is intentionally there to keep fly-boys from dominating the game. That being said, the controls aren't horrible, there's just a learning curve.

Quilty

Magister
Type "fast vehicle respawn" or just "vehicles" in the browser and jump in one of the empty-ish servers that have instantly respawning vehicles. Start with helis because they can be easier to learn that jets (at least that's how it was in my case). You can take your sweet time learning to hover, accelerate, decelerate, land etc without the pressure of a battle. In my opinion, the way vehicles handle and the fact that they require a certain amount of skill is an improvement over the past iterations of the game.

Quilty

Magister
I suppose the popamolishness of Bad Company 2 may have blurred my memory.

I have to add that flying a heli with a gunner you can speak to is oodles of fun. I've never tried this before, due to the :foreveralone: syndrome, but now that I'm flying with a buddy of mine and trying different loadouts (flares, jammer, extinguisher, guided rockets etc, there's a lot to choose from) the matches are actually much more fun.

JrK

Prophet
Well even the choppers of BC2 were easier to fly than BF2 with their automatic hovering nonsense, but they were awful in how slow they could turn. It was easy to shoot the BC2 choppers down. Flying in BF2 requires more skill to not crash, but it doesn't limit you as much as BC2 with their bus-like handling so in BF2 there's a higher skill ceiling. If you pushed the wrong button in BF2 you'd stall and crash, while in BF3 and BC2 you could pretty much leave the controls alone and not crash (even jets keep flying no throttle required).

In BF3 the russian chopper has the same awful bus-like slowness as in BC2, but the Us chopper is actually pretty awesome and nimble. And you do require those stupid unlocks before you can be decent (flares, guided rockets, guidedmissile/tvmissile).

deus101

Never LET ME into a tattoo parlor!
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Ah man....I just got nostalgic about Desert Combat...

There you had awsome chopper controls, you had to have a joystick to fly properly and even then it took me a month to be able to fly straight AND land.

Damnit...I miss my CLAN :( those British wankers.

Steve

Augur
Again: the controls are shit. That is not the player's fault any more than Skyrim's shitty UI is the player's fault.
Not unless you were exclusively flying the F-35, BF3 has probably the easiest flight controls in any game ever.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
It's alright. Some of us are not meant to have wings. Crawl beneath the clouds and shoot them to death. There's always the Tunguska to vent your anger.

AlaCarcuss

Arbiter
Easier than Saints Row 2? Absolutely not.

Saints Row 2 is an arcade game. As alrady stated, the difficulty in flying in the Battlefiled games is a way to ballance things.

I know how you feel though, I don't know how many times I wanted to throw the controller through the screen at first, during live matches. But again, find a practise server and use either a joystick or a controller till you get the hang of it. Try a flight sim if you think the flight contorls in BF3 are hard. Flying a modern chopper/fighter jet IS fucking hard IRL.

FYI BF3 has generic console graphics.
This time it's a shit optimization.

Yeah, right skyway. Just compare BF3 on max settings on PC with the console versions - the difference is chalk and cheese.

Destroid

Arcane
From this thread you'd think this was the first action game a lot of you have played, complaining about the difficulty of jets in BF3. You can fly any aircraft in any BF game (or mod) perfectly fine with the mouse.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom