Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Dolphin (and other console) emulators...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I never was a big Nintendo guy, never owned their console, never will. But I admit, there is a few (and I mean FEW) games that I would play (Gamecube exclusive Resident Evil games, the better Mario games, maybe Zelda). So I read that there is this Dolphin thingy, which actually emulates Gamecube and Wii fairly well.

Is this true? Should I bother with it? Is there anything important I should know about emulating those stuff?

Help me Codex!!!!!!

MaskedMan

very cool
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's pretty cool, I've used it to play some Gamecube games. You need a fairly powerful pc for the emulation, and some of the games don't work perfectly yet, but the ones I tried only had minor issues if any. It has a ton of different emulating options so you need to look the games up on their wiki to see which configuration people have tested it with to make them work.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Is good, I've played many games on it with no issues at all, using my faithfull Xbawks controller. Sadly some of the games I REALLY wanted to play don't work, like the StarWars Rogue Squadron series... all the rest runs very well. 50-60fps most of the time.

Untermensch

Augur
I've played the Resident evil remake using Dolphin, at it ran without problems and in pretty good framerate on my below average pc.
Dolphin isn't resource intensive.

Shadow of the Colossus with pcsx2 on the other hand.......

Lorica

Educated
So this isn't a thread about a game where you're a dolphin?

:(

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Thanks bros.

I downloaded Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a testprogram, and it worked wonderfully. Well, almost wonderfully, I couldn't configure my Logitech Rumblepad 2 controller for the emulator. Maybe because it is not Xbox certified?

dunno lah

Arcane
Thanks bros.

I downloaded Super Mario Galaxy 2 as a testprogram, and it worked wonderfully. Well, almost wonderfully, I couldn't configure my Logitech Rumblepad 2 controller for the emulator. Maybe because it is not Xbox certified?

So, are you gonna do an "first impression" video on Super Mario Galaxy 2 for your next episode? :troll:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Thanks bros.

So, are you gonna do an "first impression" video on Super Mario Galaxy 2 for your next episode? :troll:
Even IF I would be Matt, I wouldn't do it. I don't like th Galaxy Marios, sidescrolling 2D is where it's at biatch!

deuxhero

Arcane
It works pretty well. Most games work (only ones I know that failed to play entirely go fixed with a recent branch merge), but a handful of games have major issues despite theoretically being playable (Skies of Arcadia has major graphics issues, Rogue Squadron has almost no draw distance), but the overwhelming majority work better (GCN/Dolphin handles 2D elements at higher than normal internal res than PS2/PCSX2 does) than perfectly with good hardware with modern SVNs.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Not planning on missing out on Eternal Darkness. Thanks for the tips.

sea

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Despite lack of third-party support the GameCube had a list of really good games available, and you should play most of them:

Baten Kaitos (if you like JRPG/card battling)
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
F-Zero GX
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Legend of Zelda games (Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures)
Luigi's Mansion (surprisingly decent action-puzzle game, but very short)
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Metal Gear Solid remake in Metal Gear Solid 2 engine)
Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (possibly best GameCube games ever, they are some of the few console games in the last 10 years I would say are basically perfect in every respect)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Pikmin 1 and 2 (strategy/puzzle games with a fairly interesting gameplay style that I have never seen elsewhere)
Resident Evil & Zero (remake and original new game)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 (both awesome arcade flight combat games)
Super Mario Sunshine (fuck the haters, this might be the "worst" 3D Mario but it's still great)
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 (these games will drive you insane)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (but only if you have friends to play with)
Tales of Symphonia (supposed to be the GameCube's best JRPG, never played it and don't care to)
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Wave Race: Blue Storm (not amazing but how many jet-ski racers are there out there?)

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Despite lack of third-party support the GameCube had a list of really good games available, and you should play most of them:

Baten Kaitos (if you like JRPG/card battling)
Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem
F-Zero GX
Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance
Legend of Zelda games (Twilight Princess, Wind Waker, Four Swords Adventures)
Luigi's Mansion (surprisingly decent action-puzzle game, but very short)
Mario Kart: Double Dash
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes (Metal Gear Solid remake in Metal Gear Solid 2 engine)
Metroid Prime 1 and 2 (possibly best GameCube games ever, they are some of the few console games in the last 10 years I would say are basically perfect in every respect)
Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door
Pikmin 1 and 2 (strategy/puzzle games with a fairly interesting gameplay style that I have never seen elsewhere)
Resident Evil & Zero (remake and original new game)
Star Wars: Rogue Squadron 2 and 3 (both awesome arcade flight combat games)
Super Mario Sunshine (fuck the haters, this might be the "worst" 3D Mario but it's still great)
Super Monkey Ball 1 and 2 (these games will drive you insane)
Super Smash Bros. Melee (but only if you have friends to play with)
Tales of Symphonia (supposed to be the GameCube's best JRPG, never played it and don't care to)
Viewtiful Joe 1 and 2
Wave Race: Blue Storm (not amazing but how many jet-ski racers are there out there?)
Wow, that's quiet a list. Thanks! :salute:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
You are, dear Skyway, you are.

So, downloaded Eternal Darkness. Just took a peak into it, but looks good. And again, runs without problem. This emulator is amazing.

Dexter

Arcane
Both Dolphin for GameCube/Wii Emulation and PCSX2 for PlayStation 2 games work rather well provided you have a good QuadCore CPU from the latest few years and the best thing about them is that they run games better than their given Original consoles. Also they have support for WiiMote or other Controllers like the X360 one. I even bought a WiiMote to play around with Dolphin and played some New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Mario Galaxy (I believe this still had some sound issues of the music stopping and not playing after a while, dunno if they've fixed it by now) and Epic Mickey.

There's some threads on NeoGAF with Instructions and Screenshots from games and stuff that were pretty interesting:
Dolphin: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=395121
PCSX2: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427321

Also, I believe for Dolphin at least there's a list of games and their level of Compatibility, as well as remaining issues and what settings to preferably use to get the best experience: http://dolphin-emu.org/compat/ (clicking on games leads to single Wikis like for instance this for Super Mario Galaxy)

deuxhero

Arcane
I will never understand why people hype up Tales of Symphonia. It is one of those games that is so medicore in absolutely everything you don't know how ANYONE likes it, sort of like an Oblivion of jRPGs.

Even a healthy amount of the fans say the battle system is the only good part, but holy crap is the battle system awful.

You can chain attacks in the pattern of 3/4 basic attacks (they change depending on the control stick's direction, but there's always one that's objectively best in all aspects), level 1 special, level 2 special and level 3 special, but you aren't allowed to use the same "tree" twice (for example, you can't link Demon Fang and Double Demon Fang). Seems simple, but heres the thing, short of skipping a move entirely, this is the ONLY sequence you can link moves in (otherwise your character pauses, the enemy loses its flinch and you get your ass kicked before starting the move) and you can only map 4 special moves (plus 2 shortcuts for anyone in the active party, one of which is reserved for telling the AI to stop showing off its ability to run in all directions while you and enemies can only move in 2 and to fucking heal your ass), so there will only ever be 2 ways to link moves for most characters (Kratos can gain one special ability that lets him link in any order, but it just pushes you into using a different pre-canned combo, while Regal has some bizzare catagorization of his specials that still forced you to use a single string with no variance). When to block/dodge is horribly telegraphed and everything is an HP sponge, ESPECIALLY on hard mode.

I think the ONLY thing it has going for it is the "sklit" system where are fixed points you can press z for the characters to talk to eachother in some irrelevant conversation, which if the characters weren't blobs of cliches would actually be pretty good for establishing their personalities, backstories/ect without clloging the game up with mandatory cutscenes. This isn't even really all that unique (party talk in Dragon Quest for instance, predates it)

What's REALLY embarrassing is that Tales was around for EIGHT YEARS at that point and didn't improve squat, but a bunch of sRPG makers (Flightplan) with no experience making this kind of game decided to make a similar game (Summon Night: Swordcraft Story) a year before on the GBA, and it beats any Tales game in every single aspect: You have 3 sets of attacks that actually do something different and can be chained together, and can change to 2 other completely different movesets at the press of a button. your specials are varied and can't be spamed because of a double Vanciean (you only get so many preperations of a spell before resting AND you can only cast 5 or 6 spells a battle) spellcasting system. On top of that, the characters are actually enjoyable, weapon crafting is fun, the story has its unique points, the setting for the first game is actually fairly interesting (It's a Venice analog with a bizzare mix of technology thanks to the world's status as a dimensional hub)

Is it clear I HATE ToS yet?

Skies of Arcadia has major graphics issues
Still? I really want this one since I never quite finished it when I still used my GC.

Dolphin WIki says yes, but you may want to try it anyways, as it is many SVNs (including a few very mjor ones) old. It's apparently playable, but has weird shadows and the like.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom