Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So... Dragon Age 2...

Am I a terrible judge of games?

• Total voters

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
alzheimer dogs.

:lol:

do dogs go into the fade?

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Do dogs dream of electric sheep ? Then yes. As far as I understood Dragon Age between my rapidly hitting spacebar and skipping everything, dreaming=visiting the fade.

edit: Man, somebody needs to adapt Alzheimers Dog into a really awesome TV drama about a brave border collie who keeps forgetting everything. They'll be all like "man, Alzheimers Dog, Timmy fell down the chimney" or whatever and then Alzheimers Dog is all like "I dunno no Timmy, fool, where am I and who are you" and it's hilarious and tragic and so many fucking powerful emotions all at once, man.

DarthBehemoth

Learned
Bro's just face it Bioware cannot do Grimdark realistic fantasy. DA2 was just shit, never bought it, that shit will never occupy my HDD. But from what I've seen on youtube it's just so full of derp I had to take a break after watching 10 min of gameplay to prevent my brain from exploding. Sure it had some great ideas story-wise but it was all buried under a mountain of derp.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
-Loghain allowing the King's half of the army to be slaughtered, which turns out to be disastrous. Incongruous with his reputation as being smart.
-Loghain's plan of battle is to have half of his army charge the Darkspawn like idiots, and then to have the other half charge the Darkspawn like idiots. This, despite having fortifications situated on a bottleneck mountain pass which the Darkspawn had to go through to get to Fereldan. Again, incongruous for a character meant to be smart.

He wanted to lose on purpose.

He Lost half of Army and important nobles like Earl of Denerim loyal to the King... to something which was not blight but minor Darkspawn raid... in his opinion anyway. :troll: DAO was nothing special but sequel... this was wrong for so many reasons the slumdunk Hit who was to brought COD kids into buying Bioware games. I am glad it tanked although I doubt the EA suits understand why.

RK47

Patron
Sounds like Crusader Kings.
Let's have EA buy over the franchise now.
I'm sure the sequel would turn out well.

The trouble with the 'need to be a Grey Warden to be immune to Darkspawn' plot device is that it's utterly incongruous with a game that has you fighting masses of darkspawn every 5 minutes.

They could have done great things with it if instead of making the Darkspawn the standard enemy, you only occasionally encountered them (because most of them have united into a massive army being the whole fucking point of the plot, so you shouldn't be running into them everywhere you fucking go) as HOLY SHIT enemies, where you have to use your tactics to make sure that only you or Alastair wear the damage (if you're a mage, you can still get Alastair to tank) or tactically use snares and spells to keep them out of melee range (holy shit, craft traps might actually become a useful skill - couldn't have that now, could we?). Gee - an idea for a bossfight that turns on tactical challenge rather than making the boss a hitpoint sponge, where the aim is to avoid infection rather than having them hit particularly hard or have any more hitpoints than normal enemies - nah, clearly better to have them as trash mobs even though it's not only inconsistent with the plot, but contradicts the defining fucking feature of the main character.

Not to mention that it might actually give an opportunity for merging gameplay with story-drama once you actually take on the Darkspawn army, giving you a fight scenario where you can't possibly prevent everyone from getting infected, so you have to prioritise which of your party members you want to try to keep alive. Could even mix that in with the influence system - make it so if a character who hates you gets infected, he decides to take you down with him ala the Ignus/Vhalior mini-bossfight in PS:T, whilst infected characters who you've got high influence with will kill themselves rather than turn.

Don't get me wrong - none of that would be enough to save the game from the usual Biowarearisms. Just saying that they could have used the darkspawn infection idea as a way to merge the gameplay and story in an interesting way.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Darkspawn poisoning doesn't seem like a regular thing considering that the army that fights back against them in DA:O isn't made up of wardens. There was no "and then they all died."

RK47

Patron
yeah it only happens to shitty supporting cast like valine's husband n the other two candidates.

Mary Sue Leigh

Erudite
I present to you a super rare leaked storyboard drawing from the up-and-coming GOTY award winning Dragon Age 3 : This time it's personal!

1010_13.gif

Anyone NOT looking forward to that one? The writing and art style seems to be top notch again.

Lancehead

Liturgist
The trouble with the 'need to be a Grey Warden to be immune to Darkspawn' plot device
Isn't the point of being immune to darkspawn blood is that Grey Wardens are the only ones who can put down an Archdemon for good? That results in a major decision at the end with Morrigan and the demon baby.

Mortmal

Arcane
I'm surprised I got five pages out of this =D. Clearly this proves people love DA2, my logic is indisputable!

Wait wait... I'm sorry the above was just me attempting to fit in with all the people here who have no arguments and just say "this = that; you mad?"
Guys no major offense intended but: it was horrible, bad execution, couldn't finish it.... is just weak. Say your reason. Tempting to say "everything was horibad" I know, but we all know that is simply not true, at the very least there was good voice acting, far far better than "GO FOR THE EYES BOO!!!!" (I'm sorry minsc but I will always go homicidal and kill you, it's not you its me).

Oh but its true you fit in , people do care of bioware , they really do. You will never find a more hardcore fanbase than the codex . Most of us played all their games , in public the right thing to do is to bash bioware, and their boring banal shit games but only after 3 playthrough and 80 hours spent on it .
Theres well done things in their past game, i enjoyed them till dragon age origin(included), a lot of things done wrong too , but all in all their games while not reaching the greatness of BG2 , were really enjoyable.

Now dragon age 2 its another story... everything is done wrong , i have not even finished it. The stupid advertisement campaign as the "new shit" full of gore was distasteful, like everything in he game, the extreme dumbing down, the waves of enemies filler combat after filler combat in recycled envrionment s like an old jrpg. A story aimed for teens , no really the only positive thing you can say is arcania is even worse.

I cant wait to see what kind of shit they will pull with dragon age 3 .

Andyman Messiah

Mr. Ed-ucated
Dragon Age 2 didn't do everything wrong. It definitely had the best, or rather I should say most hilarious romance mechanics.

DeepOcean

Arcane
On the subject of the fundamental flaws, all of them apply to DA1 as well (yes, DA1 is inconsistent with it's own lore -- Morrigan waving her skimpy witch outfit/staff in front of Templars without them caring, etc).
Nobody think that DA 2 is shit based only on those small inconsistencies, the game has way bigger problems and people nitpick in small details like this because it is fun to denigrate such shitty game. I can easily find alot of inconsistencies in alot of good games but I don't do it because they are good games.
What's more, some of those flaws are bullshit, such as enemies spawning out of nowhere trivialising tactics. What tactics would there be if the enemies didn't spontaneously appear? Positioning has only ever mattered in this series insofar as area of effect attacks and back-stabs are concerned, so don't say positioning.
I'm not a fan of DA: Origins combat either but you are defending a shitty combat by comparing it with a slightly less shitty combat? Bioware just failed in designing the combat encounters for the most part in DA 1 (but I can say that the beginning and the mage tower had some interesting encounters) and just gave up and decided to make a strange DA 1/Diablo clone system in DA 2. DA 1 combat wasn't amazing but DA 2 was just Bioware throwing the towel.
The real reason you imbeciles don't like DA2, or rather that you like it less than DA1, is because you're petty retards who are turned off by buzz words like action button. That puts you on par with 4chan and the Bioware community forum. But what else can I expect from you people, you're the same species as those who created this modern marvel in the first place. It's not like you're genetically all that different from Gaydar or Hepler. And you were probably conditioned in roughly the same ways as well -- globalisation has assured of that. So why would I expect different results from the same breed.
Blah, blah, blah, blah ... You must had lurked for some time before to know that DA 1 was a very divisive game, some liked and some hated while most people hated DA 2. Look, DA 1 had millions of problems and nobody is crazy to compare it with actual good RPGs but you can see that Bioware tried and had good intentions in some parts even if in the end those good intentions didn't resulted on an amazing game. DA 2 was just a rush job to get quick cash, it didn't improved anything from DA 1 and just is plain worse in many areas.

Delterius

Arcane
The trouble with the 'need to be a Grey Warden to be immune to Darkspawn' plot device is that it's utterly incongruous with a game that has you fighting masses of darkspawn every 5 minutes.

They actually had a system in place where companions would be infected and you'd have to deal with it. I don't remember it very well, though I'm sure it existed. I think that the general idea was a mixture of unique grey warden treatment/magic + the eventual need use different characters, so that the disease didn't progress to a lethal state. I also don't remember why they cut it, wether it was lack of time, 'needless complexity', or that the implementation was turning out to be shit.

But the sad part is they probably won't feel the need to implement such a system, instead heavily handing out the darkspawn blight as a plot device like in the first two games, the second one in particular given what happens to the sibling.

I guess I want more games that aim higher and don't get there, instead of re-iteration.
The 2000s already had those under the persona of Troika games. And I must say that the launch version of Arcanum, with all its most retarded design decisions and obnoxious bugs is more interesting than Dragon Age 2 will ever be.

Dreaad

Arcane
Deep in your subconscious mind spreading lies.
Also as a little side note I can't remember where and can't be bothered going back to find it, but someone said that DA2 is shit because the story is all over the place and is more like episodes from Kirkwall rather than a central storyline to follow. Amusingly this is kinda what I like most about the game, I suppose it reminds me of all my favorite tv shows, quite a few which do have some very VERY loose plot. Most go from episode to episode throwing the main protagonists into seemingly random situations just to see how they will react.

Seeing as I am dead tired of the high fantasy quest for mount doom crap.
You know in some ways... oh god I'm almost scared to say it, but the structure of the story is reminiscent of PS:T.... you get a random cast of people (which frankly are far more fleshed out in DA2, PS:T at best has very one sided companions), give them a loose goal in a city, run around doing random shit till you figure out what's going on. Now I must say that PS:T does this better simply because there's actually some mystery and thinking required to progress (also a lot more filler content, love it or hate it), this by itself makes the game far more entertaining. Still I think that people that bash the story too hard are just focusing on the negatives in such a fierce way, they fail to see certain things or just refuse to look.

BBMorti

Arcane
He makes a new account and first thing he goes in and starts a dragon age 2 thread.

When it reaches a few pages he is 'omg i'm surprised' even though any person who can use both halfs of his brain would know better when he throws up a thread with that turd of a game as the main focus, especially on a forum like this. Google makes that clear, as well. Google also has a plethora of answers to the 'points' this OP made about DA:2. This OP likes Da:2 and any arguments presented here wont change that, he is simply looking for others who does as well. Scary stuff:deadhorse:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom