Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Drakensang...

Bahamut

Arcane
Well i got my hands on latest potato-action magazine and it had all three Drakensang games on its cover dvd's,
So the question is, should i bother with these?

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
If you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO PLAY they're mildly entertaining for an afternoon.

Otherwise, no.
It's basically a single-player MMO with less depth.

Shannow

Waster of Time
3 games? Is one of them the expansion? (assuming you have the modern games)
I'd skip Drakensang and just play Drakengsang 2. 2 is better in pretty much every aspect and there's no need to play them in sequence (although 2 --> 1 would be in sequence, but whatever). The expansion's supposed to be bad, but I never tried that. If you enjoy 2 you can always try the rest.

Give it a spin, the Drakensangs have many issues, but there are charming games underneath. Make sure you use the advance charater creation/development option.
Then play it a while, if you don't like it after 1-2 hours, chances are, you won't like it later (and vice versa).

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
three? what's the third?
both games are made on the fine schwarze auge ruleset, but unfortunately are RT w/ pause. It doesn't really fit well, but it's salvagable.
the first drakensang is a mediocre game, bloom abounds and the storyline is generic "you are the chosen ones" as fuck. Tried two times, got bored after witch forest.
the second is a major improvement. Story is more down to earth and simply better, as is writing - still nothing fancy, but readable. Notably, there are some cool areas and mild c&c. A good game overall, recommended. Damn shame their owners went bust (I think that's the story) and the studio was closed, as judging from the incline of River of Times over Drakensang, the third part could be even better.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Ulminati is an mmo with less depth :p
Yeah well your mom is massively multiplayer with less depth :P

Google fu revealed I mixed drakensang up with another game though, so I retract my previous post. I have no opinion on this series except the screenshots make it look BSB.

GreyViper

Prophet
If you have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ELSE TO PLAY they're mildly entertaining for an afternoon.

Otherwise, no.
It's basically a single-player MMO with less depth.

Fu** you,:rage: compared to some of the shit released recently these ones are pearls, or are you going to justify DA1-2 Awsomness over Drakengsang. :smug:
Shannow is pretty much spot on in his remark, tough in defense of first they took all the feedback and implemented in 2nd. And first one isn't that bad, better then say NWN:OC more similar to NWN2 OC maybe. Your most likely to encounter less magical überloot then the usual fantasy setting.

Gord

Arcane
Definitely try it, start with the second one if you are unsure, if you like it proceed to the first. I haven't heard much good about the expansion to the 2nd, but if you like the games you might as well check it out, too.

The first game isn't bad, imho, if a bit tedious at times, but the second is better. One thing the first has going for it is a bigger companion pool to choose from, which offers a bit more variance in possible party composition.

GreyViper

Prophet
My work here is done :troll:

(Note I retracted the statemetn that set you off in the post preceding yours)
Yes well done:excellent:
But honestly, this is one of the few german RPGs that looks and feels fantastic and plays well to. Recall the Da2 argument for small city and recycling areas, well compare the 2nd games city to Kirkwall. It pretty much showed you could make good RPG with beautiful scenery and large cities with less budget.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Skip the first part unless you need to play every single game that involves saving the world from ancient evil, while experiencing lots of filler combat and traveling back and forth at long distances. Second game is actually really good, and pretty much fixes almost all faults of its predecessor.

Captain Shrek

Skip the first part unless you need to play every single game that involves saving the world from ancient evil, while experiencing lots of filler combat and traveling back and forth at long distances. Second game is actually really good, and pretty much fixes almost all faults of its predecessor.
Yeah. Very true. Just the bad part is the temple. EDIT. And very little replay value in terms of the story.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yeah. Very true. Just the bad part is the temple. EDIT. And very little replay value in terms of the story.

Completely agree, still it was far more satisfying experience then majority of modern RPG-s.

Renegen

Arcane
I played all of Drakensang 1 then I was so burned out I didn't play Drakensang 2. Its strongest point are character customization and superficial roleplaying, it's based on a P&P RPG system after all. It also some has some C&C and interesting combat at times. Just for the love of god do not make a character that's focused on picking up every herb, forget about alchemy altogether.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Drakensang 1 has really crappy programming. Basically they used database and tried to use a standard practices in NORMAL SW development, which backfired at them. It also allows to collect all classes in your house. It also has better dungeons if you are into that. You should probably try to get it first.

The second was more focused, presented alternative routes, and was basically much more polished and felt less as a DB SW and more like a quality game. I heard the expansion is short and is full of combat.

I didn't finish any of them, stopped right before last boss duel in first, and there was something new to play just before last dungeon in the second.
Why should he stay away from alchemy? The overpowered items are quite hard to make and requires diamond dust anyway.

It has nice summoning however.

Renegen

Arcane
Because then half the game is nothing but picking up herbs and that's not very fun.

hoverdog

Developer
I kinda liked the temple. The main boss fight was especially excellent - you could either use the runes to weaken him or save them and sell to the weird mage in exchange for stuffies. A well-made dungeon overall.

Captain Shrek

I kinda liked the temple. The main boss fight was especially excellent - you could either use the runes to weaken him or save them and sell to the weird mage in exchange for stuffies. A well-made dungeon overall.
I think we are not talking about the same temple ;).

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
He probably means different location.

BTW that weird mage was a druid, and beating the boss without using any rune required massive abuse of various stuff. Not using one rune is worthy, not using all isn't.

hoverdog

Developer
which temple are you talking about then?

Captain Shrek

which temple are you talking about then?

Temple of the Sea god (Whatever his name).

Morkar Left

Only really played Drakensang 2 which was a good game. Very enjoyable rpg with an visual enjoyable gameworld, good charsystem, good equipment system, enjoyable dialogs, some riddles and some variety in locations and questdesign. Difficulty is decent when you play on hard.

Only drawbacks for me were the combat. RTwP isn't the problem, the problem is that enemies are constantly chasing your mages/archers and there is no attack of opportunity or defense line you can build to block them. Think about Benny Hill style runs. Best is to give even your mages a lot of hp and use them for melee combat and buffing most of the time. Another flaw is that your chars can't die and healing is too easy.

Quests often have multiple solutions but sometimes you get railroaded in this solutions (no out of the box thinking).

All in all the game has some minor flaws with the above mentioned combat chasing being the biggest one.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom