Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Drakensang...

Morkar Left

I don't know, I had no opportunity to try it. I suspect it will work but mess with your English texts, similar like you can use an english mod with a german one (usually TRoT mods copy/replace some database files over your original database files).

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
If you go for DS 1 or 2, be sure to get the mod that increased running speed (this is really important!) and rebalances a lot of shit. The games were much better with it.

Edit: I'm talking about this: http://www.gamebanshee.com/forums/drakensang-series-123/ergos-fixpack-mods-107436.html

I remember that the new items were kinda sucky, but that's a small price to pay for the overall improvements in difficulty, balance and other stuff. I also think that the new items might've been optional during installation, can't remember though.

I enjoyed playing both games as two-handed sword wielding battlemages or burglars. Always liked hybrid glass cannons in RPGs. Elves are theoretically better suited for being a warrior-wizard but I found that playing elves makes you too reliant on the ice-cold warrior spell and combat gets more boring that way.

The first Drasa got a lot of bad press but with ergo's fixpack it's quite fun and relaxing. I think that it really was the running speed that ruined these games for many people; I still wonder what were the krauts thinking when they designed it.
Does it work with RoT and if so, how can I patch it?

If OP plays the first one, avoid that rat dungeon at all costs! It's a lame joke on the developers part and seeing rats rush through your fighters to get at the weaker mages/archers is infuriating.

Is that the dungeon before the forest where a wizard apprentice asks you to rescue his master, in the very beginning? Because I suspect that's what turned me off the game, it was a cellar full of rats and simplistic clickclick combat, and I wasn't that interested to begin with (then again, I was playing without the running speed mod with a Dwarf herbalist, so I really was making it hard for myself :lol:)

Turjan

Arcane
If OP plays the first one, avoid that rat dungeon at all costs! It's a lame joke on the developers part and seeing rats rush through your fighters to get at the weaker mages/archers is infuriating.

Is that the dungeon before the forest where a wizard apprentice asks you to rescue his master, in the very beginning? Because I suspect that's what turned me off the game, it was a cellar full of rats and simplistic clickclick combat, and I wasn't that interested to begin with (then again, I was playing without the running speed mod with a Dwarf herbalist, so I really was making it hard for myself :lol:)
No, it's in the city in both games. At least, in game number II, it's not a multi-level mega-dungeon of rats and quickly dealt with if your level is not too low.

Phelot

Arcane
Yeah, it's the dungeon that goes on and on and ON AND ON and all you do is fight rats

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
The rat dungeon they are talking about is that dungeon with that suspicious dwarf that said he is at the start of level only to sell you some torches and buy stuff from you and to look because he was curious...

After I seen him third time, I became suspicious and moved out.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
If Radon Labs had survived until these Kickstarter days we're in now, they could've tried for a Kickstarter Indiegogo and make Drakensang 3 perhaps.

Considering how great an improvement River of Time was over the first game, who knows what it would've been. Now they're perpetually stuck making shitty browser games.

Phelot

Arcane
If Radon Labs had survived until these Kickstarter days we're in now, they could've tried for a Kickstarter Indiegogo and make Drakensang 3 perhaps.

I wonder how Kickstarter would work if a company wants to use an IP they don't own. I'd imagine Radon Labs was simply licensed to use the Dark Eye setting.

Considering how great an improvement River of Time was over the first game, who knows what it would've been. Now they're perpetually stuck making shitty browser games.

Yeah, I really wanted to see more from them. It is unfortunate that the expansion for RoT was so awful, though. I believe they were already crunching for money then.

It would have been nice to get another Realms of Arkania going.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Do they actually own the IP and Trademark to Drakensang?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Chromatrix owns the Dark Eye setting (both Drakensang campaigns are now part of the setting's lore), and hands out0 licenses to developers wishing to use it (most recently, Satinavs Ketten). So theoretically it would be possible to make a sequel to Drakensang (that name is owned by Bigpoint now) under a different name.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Chromatrix owns the Dark Eye setting (both Drakensang campaigns are now part of the setting's lore), and hands out0 licenses to developers wishing to use it (most recently, Satinavs Ketten). So theoretically it would be possible to make a sequel to Drakensang (that name is owned by Bigpoint now) under a different name.

They could in theory do a KS for it (part of the money going to use the Trademark). BUT then they will have to answer to the Trademark holder, which could be either very bad, or if they are hands off, good.

Sabriana

Learned
So OP, did you try it yet? If not, do try the second one, River of Time. Don't bother with 'Phileasson’s Secret', its add-on, it's pretty bad. The first one is pretty mediocre, but good for a rainy day. It's good for what it is.

By the way, why potatoe-game? I thought we wuz Krauts? Or are we moving toward being a complete meal soon ;)

sser

Arcane
Developer
Does River of Time get better after the first city?

It's just so horrible in design I had a hard time getting through it.

And when my RPG-penchant for restarting as different characters kicked in the first town just ruined it.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
What was wrong about first ''city''? for me unlike offerings from Bio (ifiller) and Beth (5 NPCs Hubs) it felt like real Mid European Town, small compact but well designed. The fact that you played starting from 5 different origins was nice touch too.

Correct_Carlo

Arcane
I really loved both Drakensang games.

Positives and negatives as I see them:

Grey Area: The writing's not the best, although not bad either. It reminded me more of the sort of light, King's Quest, style fantasy worlds in older PC games. There's really not a whole lot of Darkness or Emo philosophizing. Which is refreshing.

Negatives:

-Drakensang 1 has a lot of trash mob combat. I didn't mind it that much, but it can get tedious if you aren't into that.

-Races are pretty standard Tolkein rip offs

-Camera and controls are horrible (but I got used to them eventually)

Positives:

Stat and skill system is deep and incredibly transparent. All relevant formulas are right there on the menu screens so there's no need for meta-gaming (which is rare these days). Plus, most actions are determined by formulas that include 3 attributes and 1 skill, which means that hybrid builds are more viable just because actions are dependent on a much wider pool of attribute points (so there is very little "Waste" when it comes to attributes as everything will usually do something, rather than just being a case where str only affects melee, int only affects magic, etc, etc, etc).

-The best thing about combat is the wound system. You can either kill things by whittling down their health or by scoring 5 wounds. This means that I ended up adjusting my party for maximum wound output and it was great as combat becomes a matter of trying to inflict as many wounds as possible as quickly as possible on the lesser creatures, then focusing on the big boys. You can also die from 5 wounds as well, though, which is added danger. I found this system muchmore exciting and fast paced than the usual "battles of attrition" that most RPG fights end up being (e.g. repeating the same stuff over and over until you slowly whittle down the health bar sucks in comparison).

-Low magic/low health potion world. Especially in ROT basically the only way to get health positions is to scavange for herbs and even then you'll only get about 10 total the entire game so you have to use them very sparingly. I loved this personally, as I hate spamming health potions in RPGs. Plus, magic is way nerfed. It's mostly just summons/buffing/healing. There aren't a lot of damage spells, and even healing while in battle takes a while and leaves your mages incredibly vulnerable so you have to use it strategically.

-Some very good boss battles (even the DLC, as shitty as it is, does end with an awesome boss battle so it's almost worth slogging through just for that). There are a few crap ones as well, but over all these games had some of the more memorable boss fights I've seen in a while.

Mastermind

Cognito Elite Material
Patron
Bethestard
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
they used to have a rather open-minded approach to sexuality (haven't really read much from the newest edition)

DavidGaider2.jpg

Sabriana

Learned
Well, I thought the dialogue wasn't all that bad, but I haven't seen the English version yet. Believe me, translations in games is horrendous most of the time. That's why I usually try to get the English versions. Unfortunately for me, Bethsoft denies me the right to install an English version. So I usually install lot of mods, this way I get at least some original language in the game.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
German voice-over in River of Time was AAA, they used professional dub actors (Tobias Meister, Gerrit Schmidt, Shandra Schadt, Peter Flechtner et al) which likely cost a lot of cash and may have precipitated Radon Labs' demise.

English localization is extremely shoddy. Spanish localization, on the other hand, is likely AAA as well considering the game was released there pretty quickly.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
German voice-over in River of Time was AAA, they used professional dub actors (Tobias Meister, Gerrit Schmidt, Shandra Schadt, Peter Flechtner et al) which likely cost a lot of cash and may have precipitated Radon Labs' demise.

English localization is extremely shoddy. Spanish localization, on the other hand, is likely AAA as well considering the game was released there pretty quickly.

How poor is the english translation?

hoverdog

dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive
Developer
Project: Eternity
I obviously haven't played the german version, but for me it's serviceable. Nothing fancy, but it didn't make my eyes bleed in a cringeworthy fashion. Well, maybe a bit in the first game, but I think that's got more to do with how the storyline was extremely cliche and banal than the translation itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom