Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So ehm, Dragonborn DLC worth it?

circ

Arcane
Worth picking up u gaiz?

I tried Dawnguard, absolutely hated it - from retarded vampires and perks to vampire attacks on towns killing quest givers - OH U SO FUN. And Soul Cairn - HATE. HATE. The only positive thing about it was some side-quest where you explored some yawn inducing samey dwemer ruin with a ghost companion - who was actually good unlike shut the fuck up Serena. DG would have been playable had it only included that said dwemer ruin and ghost companion. Oh wait, I found myself quite enjoying seeing falmer in another location than goddamn dwemer ruins, and that part was ok too.

So, does DB have stupid perks, a Soul Cairn equivalent, a stupid as fuck companion, more samey dungeons? Or is there some good stuff? Also are half the quests bugged to shit (ala vanilla Skyrim)?

Multi-headed Cow

Finding a vampire with an elder scroll and not immediately killing it because it says "pls no kil", or being beaten unconscious by a couple scabby guards using batons when you're wearing power armor and have plasma rifles and nuke launchers and shit. Which is worse and why??? Discuss!!!

(i've heard dragonborn is more fun than dawnguard but i haven't played it yet myself. as much as i played skyrim i haven't even touched dragonborn and never finished dawnguard)

circ, is there a game you like? Play that instead.

I don't keep txts but I don't remember a gaming related post of yours that wasn't something along the lines of "I hate this fucking game, but I'm playing it anyway". Why?

#codexrealtalk

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
If you like Skyrim Dragonborn is more of it, done as well as the main game. Bonus points for Morrowind nostalgia and an arguably better set of locations.

Dawnguard is largely a piece of shit.

Whisky

The Solution
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera
I haven't played it myself but from what I gather it's on par with the main game. Dawnguard was stupid as shit, but at least it gave you crossbows (Even though the "HURR. WUTS A CRUSHBOW?" was pretty painful having played Morrowind).

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I finished it the other day and thought it was decent. The southern half of Solstheim is like Morrowind's ashlands in miniature, which is good for nostalgia but kind of made me wish I was playing Morrowind instead. You also get to go to Hermaeus Mora's realm, which I thought was pretty cool. The main villain, Miraak, was kind of a let down though. I get the impression that the main quest was rushed, it starts out pretty interesting but by the end I still don't feel like I know what Miraak's goal was or why I should have been involved. Some of the sidequests were fun though, and Neloth is probably the best Bethesda character since Morrowind, which he also appeared in. I haven't played much of Dawnguard so I don't know how it compares, but there isn't anything as dumb as the random vampire attacks everywhere.

So, should you play it? I don't know. If you don't have anything better to do and at least kind of like Skyrim, I'd say maybe.

Xeon

Augur
You get to learn to ride a dragon all derp like. I think Night Goat said everything that needs to be said.

Oh and Tentacles man

Crevice tab

Savant
Dragonborn is good compared to most Skyrim content so if you were by and large ok with Skyrim you'll probably like it. The Morrowind references are cool and the main story is a bit less :popamole:than Skyrim's main quest.

aris

Arcane
  1. Dawnguard actually brought quite a few interesting artifacts to skyrim, something it was somewhat lacking in before.
  2. Seems like not many people noticed this.

Jugashvili

管官的官
Patron
Codex 2013
Yes, but only if you can get it cheap. I mainly got it because I know the assets will be used in mods, not because I expected anything from the expansion per se. The MW references are quaint (though the Dunmer still use Chim Chimney-speak), but the overall gameplay is weak. The biggest disappointment was the whole "you get to visit Apocrypha" thing, since they just made the place a bunch of derpy action platformer sequences with no interaction whatsoever. A huge, demonic library where people go mad from the amount of knowledge available? Yeah, fuck that, let's just add some "librarian" enemies and containers that spawn random books.

2house2fly

Magister
dragonborn had an interesting concept for the villain, or so it sounded in the trailers. Another dragonborn! He's like an evil mirror version of you! Maybe his combat abilities will vary based on yours like the clone in Mass Effect 3: Citadel, or maybe he'll call you out on shit you've done like Ulysses in Fallout: Lonesome Road! Then it turned out he just waits for you to kill a dragon then steals its soul from you, then you walk through the book dimension and kill him, then go back to Solstheim to decorate your new house. Classic stuff.

Also after 100+ hours I was getting a bit bored of constant snowy tundra and was excited to explore a new environment. Then half of the new area was still covered in fucking snow anyway. So I resent dragonborn a bit.

The biggest disappointment was the whole "you get to visit Apocrypha" thing, since they just made the place a bunch of derpy action platformer sequences with no interaction whatsoever. A huge, demonic library where people go mad from the amount of knowledge available? Yeah, fuck that, let's just add some "librarian" enemies and containers that spawn random books.

Well, it's not like you can adequately represent that place, or any of the planes, according to their text descriptions. Azura's realm for example, is supposed to be so beautiful that it blinds you. Imagine Beth doing that, they'd just fill a cavern with flowers and bloom (which would make you go blind, at least).

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Also after 100+ hours I was getting a bit bored of constant snowy tundra and was excited to explore a new environment. Then half of the new area was still covered in fucking snow anyway. So I resent dragonborn a bit.

I expected that after I heard it was the same island as Bloodmoon though. And over half the island looks different, and it even gave us Telvani assets.

Well, it's not like you can adequately represent that place, or any of the planes, according to their text descriptions. Azura's realm for example, is supposed to be so beautiful

that it blinds you. Imagine Beth doing that

bloom-oblivion_full.jpg

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
The Bloom be with You! :lol: BTW What is this shit with 3000 years old ruins located not only in jungle forest but in the most populated province of the Empire BTW... Before People will start to show pictures of Palmyra or Thumgutti both are located in arid desert and Arabs had custom of not settling in Roman Towns.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom