Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout So, Fallout 1....I'm raging so hard now.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So, despite regarded as one of the best cRPGs of all time, I never really played Fallout (shoot me, I deserve it). Not because I didn't like it, but something interrupted me every time. I always started it, played a few hours, then quit it at let it rot on my hard drive for years. But not long ago I manned up and started playing it seriously. Although I still had little time for it, I played it in bits, and managed to finish it yesterday. First, a quick impression, then the reason why I rage:

I must say....I don't know how to put it, but it is not that good. Wait, don't kill me, I explain. Story is very interesting and well written. Characters also good. Great C&C. Good character system. But. The combat system is a pile of shit. I mean, what do you do? Stand in a place, shooting until you run out of AP, then hit end turn. There is no reason to manouver on the field, because it has no real tactical adventage. You don't have many combat skills, to spice things up. And the party AI. Oh God that is the worst thing I've ever seen in my life. First, not controllable party members in a TB game always make the combat shit (that's why I fear that AOD has similar problems). But this time, they don't know how to use their weapons effectively, they don't use different weapons, they shoot you in the back 8/10 times if you are near their line of sight. It was so frustrating. And even if we are not in combat, they stand in the fucking doorway every fucking god damn time, blocking my way.

And the bugs, oh man. You suckers always whine about Obsidian having buggy games. I played them all and I never EVER had game breaking bugs, I haven't lost party members during area transitions , I never had bartering bugs. In this game, I had ALL OF THEM. And not once. (I lost Dogmeat when I travelled from one place to another FFS!!!!)

This brings me to my raging. Inspite of the things written above, I enjoyed the game, it is a good cRPG. But after all the suffering THE FUCKING ENDING CINEMATICS DON'T PLAY!!!!!!!!!!!4
:rage:
I rolled a diplomatic character and enlightened the Master about his shitty plan. He destroys himself and the cathedral. Cathedral blowing up video plays, and after that I'm back in the main menu. This was strange to me, so I looked up in Youtube, and it seems I should get several videos about the fates of the factions and people of the game. Why? Why don't they play?
Brother None , help me! Or anyone! I'm begging you. I can't let it end like this.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Brother None , help me! Or anyone! I'm begging you. I can't let it end like this.
Try disabling hardware sound acceleration.

Start > Run
Type in DXDIAG and then switch to the Sound tab.
In the middle of that window is a slider that you can use to adjust your sound acceleration. Try lowering it or setting it to 'None' and playing and see if that fixes it.

PS: or, for Windows 7, here

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Torments combat was shit also, but you got through that game didn't you?
Yes, but that combat is still better than this IMO. Thanks to the controllable/equipable party members. And of course it is RTwP, which means I got through the encounters quicker.

Was your game properly paytched?
I don't know. I played the vanilla GOG version. v1.2 with a high res mod. Are there any new patches? :stupid:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Finally a game J_C doesn't like and it's Fallout :lol:

Anyway, I agree. I'd definetely rate Fallout as a good game, but it has glaring flaws that means it's not on my personal top 10. Combat is definetely one of them.

Torments combat was shit also, but you got through that game didn't you?

Torment is much better written and has much more interesting characters than Fallout :M

Gozma

Arcane
The combat in Fallout 1 is a punishment for fucking up adventure game stuff and/or is the quickload-smashing failsafe solution to "quests", not gameplay in itself. It's like seeing the gory deaths in a Sierra game, except sometimes you don't have to reload.

The "companions" were hacked in at the last possible second of development and are terrible. Just use them as one-shot ablative armor if you can't resist using them. If you are the kind of person that will pickpocket shit onto and off of them to carry more crap around just... just stop being that kind of person

I don't remember bugs beyond general RPG jank. I replayed the version that came in a dual jewel with FO2 from a few years ago recently and had no problems in Windows 7 with whatever the first compatibility mode I tried was.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
The combat in Fallout 1 is a punishment for fucking up adventure game stuff and/or is the quickload-smashing failsafe solution to "quests", not gameplay in itself. It's like seeing the gory deaths in a Sierra game, except sometimes you don't have to reload.

Aha. That why they chose to dedicate 3/4 of the character system to it?

baturinsky

Arcane
Combat in Fallouts is junk, yes. Hit/fire + retreat/cover beats everything, as long as you have enough firepower to not get swarmed. And best way to use followers in battle is to park them somewhere safe.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
PS: or, for Windows 7, here
Great, the Change settings button is greyed out on my machine.

Edit: somebody wrote that this is because of the ATI driver. I try to uninstall it and run the default Windows driver.
LOL, now I can't even open the advanced display settings because Windows throws an error at me. This system is fucking trolling me.

baturinsky

Arcane
Fallout having bad combat does not makes it a bad game. And I think there are some games that have virtually no shit in them at all. ToME4, Civ4, M&M4... Hmm, I see a pattern here. (Actually, combat in M&M4 is shit too)

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
Fallout 1's combat ain't its strongest point, but so what? How can you not be instantly grabbed by the atmosphere, the music, the world and its background, those combat taunts, the animations, the lovely graphics?

What the fuck is wrong with you? :what:

Name

Cipher
But, but I still have a fond memory of shooting a Deathclaw to death with THE handgun by kiting it around!

BobtheTree

Savant
There's plenty of reason to consider positioning in Fallout 1 combat. Considering line of sight and range of enemies can be the difference between victory and defeat if you use the battlefield to your advantage. Sure, against most enemies, fights are going to be rather one-sided, but more than a few times I eeked out victory by ambushing enemies in narrow passages or using corners of buildings as a way to jump out, take a shot, and jump back into cover.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Fallout 1's combat ain't its strongest point, but so what? How can you not be instantly grabbed by the atmosphere, the music, the world and its background, those combat taunts, the animations, the lovely graphics?

What the fuck is wrong with you? :what:
All that you mentioned is great, I said that. And I was grabbed by the game. I just say that at the end of the day, it is not that great of a game.

Anyway, Brother None I tried it on my girlfriend's decade old PC. It has windows XP, changed the sound acceleration, but it still didn't work. Sigh, I guess I have to watch them on youtube.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
In a couple of years someone will be posting here about how he tried to play Planescape Torment but couldn't deal with the walls of text and the lack of true relationships, and all you fuckers will be agreeing with him. :obviously:

On a more serious note, the best thing that Fallout 2 did was the push npc out of the way command, got annoying have to kill my companions when they blocked the way in Fallout 1.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom