Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Fallout So, Fallout 1....I'm raging so hard now.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
A user customizable UI would be the best bet. And, how fortuitous, Wasteland 2 is doing just that.
Too bad that Wasteland 2 interface will fail to provide the primary function of a GuI that is looking good.

Read my edited post, I clarified my thoughts a bit. I don't have a problem with hotkeys but I would like the mouse use to be a little more streamlined, like with NWN2's right-click menu or ToEE's radial menu.
ToEEs radial menu is pretty non-ergonomical from what I remember.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yes, let's compare the UI, usability and technology between a game released in 1997, and one in development in 2012. That's very reasonable.

QfG let you interact with things using a context menu way back in the early 90s. Fallout with Sierra adventure game interface would be fucking awesome.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
QfG let you interact with things using a context menu way back in the early 90s. Fallout with Sierra adventure game interface would be fucking awesome.
It would look much worse, though, just to please one Infinitron who can't use keyboard shortcuts like every computer-literate person does.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Fallout: Infinitron Edition

infiniedition.png

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Your inability to grasp Infinitron's points result in you making a jab at something unrelated to what he was saying :smug:

Calm down buddy, I get what he's saying. I just seize on any opportunity to create an exaggerated joke image.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Your inability to grasp Infinitron's points result in you making a jab at something unrelated to what he was saying :smug:

Calm down buddy, I get what he's saying. I just seize on any opportunity to create an exaggerated joke image.

OK, OK :)

But did you really HAVE to?

Well, it was my duty to defend the Truth.
The truth that Fallout has the best combat of any RPG save JA2. Oh man.

MasPingon

Arcane
This tread is like an invasion of a body snatchers. To this day I was unaware that Codex Staff Members have been compromised. Once again decline and shit taste jeopardize the balance

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
"Decline" is fast becoming a stamp you put on someone that disagrees with you, no matter what other old classics they like and regard as they should. Next someone is going to say that game classic connousiers like Sceptic or Crooked Bee are decliners because they dislike ToEE or some bullshit.

OR PERHAPS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT, DUN DUN DUN

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
"Decline" is fast becoming a stamp you put on someone that disagrees with you, no matter what other old classics they like and regard as they should. Next someone is going to say that game classic connousiers like Sceptic or Crooked Bee are decliners because they dislike ToEE or some bullshit.

OR PERHAPS IT'S ALWAYS BEEN LIKE THAT, DUN DUN DUN

I'll never label someone an agent of the decline for disliking a game, no matter how classic, regardless of whether or not I agree with their opinion. It's only when they begin endorsing decline-related feature sets or games that are objectively infested with the decline that my finger begins to hover over the "SUMMON THE THOUGHT POLICE" button.

About half of my ignored-by list is populated by people who got super-mad that I ridiculed their totally-not-decline-no-sir popamole shooter or pay-to-win online game.

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
This thread is making me reconsider my assumption that the Codex is Wasteland 2's target audience. Perhaps it's not.

This is a half-assed and lazy deflection. You can like any game you want. I'm sure Todd Howard loves many classic RPGs from when he was younger. Decline isn't about whether you've played or like classics, it's about fundamental beliefs in the direction and future of game design, beliefs such as "combat should be faster!" or "if I can't figure out this UI it must suck, let's give it bigger buttons and context-sensitivity!".

Ugh. This thread. I'm just going to assume you guys are being hipsters and trying too hard, "too cool to like Fallout", forgive you, and move on. It's fairly typical that the loudest voices of the decline here are Codex staff, though. I am honestly kind of disappointed. Not surprised, which in itself is sad, but disappointed.

PS: Fallout's UI isn't very good though. But if you think the solution is "streamline it!", then you're probably on the wrong part of the internet. It's problem is not about intuitiveness anyway.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
PS: Fallout's UI isn't very good though. But if you think the solution is "streamline it!", then you're probably on the wrong part of the internet.

I think you're unfairly attaching a pejorative definition to the word "streamline" in this context.

But okay, if you admit the UI isn't very good, then what is your solution?

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
On the left, you can select one of two weapons. Baldur's Gate is a much more combat-focused game than Fallout, yet the weapon selection UI is much smaller.
Fallout doesn't have weapon slots, it has item slots. You can put any item in those slots and use it. This is because Fallout is great.

MetalCraze

Arcane
This thread is making me reconsider my assumption that the Codex is Wasteland 2's target audience. Perhaps it's not.

Why? WL2's target audience is all hipsters so I think Codex fits into that category well

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom