Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So how's Darghul coming along?

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Did any of you guys played the original, German version? Shareware version or perhaps the full release? Was it good? I know Teudogar was, but I'm curious about Darghul. Tried to play the shareware version one day, but because I don't speak High Gothic, never reached far.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Good news to everyone who wants to play Teudogar, visit teudogar.com and click on the little present in the top left corner. Then click on one of the coffee cup icons to download a Zip-file containing... Teudogar! (Yes, the full version) The password for extraction is - *Password*. Just wanted to drop this here in case anyone is still looking for it. If running on Windows 10, Agesilaus linked a reply from Bad Sector in a post of mine with instructions on how to get it work with Windows 10. (I'm not used to forums, I don't know how to link a reply from another post here, sorry for that, just check my thread "How to run Teudogar on Windows 10?")

Sadly there is nothing new about Darghul from my side.

I stumbled upon a game that might be similar in it's style to Teudogar. It's UnReal World, a roguelike based on survival in the Iron Age, setted in Finland. It uses randomized maps and looks to me like an openworld Teudogar of some sort. It looks pretty old though, the controls are mainly keyboard inputs, not just mouse commands like in Teudogar. It was published in 1992 but is still in active development to this day. Also, it is available for free on the official website. (Alternatively available on Steam for around 11 Euros) I have yet to try it further, because I dislike the keyboard-only controls, but feel free to go ahead and try it out while the wait for Darghul continues.
Bunping this post since the links are good.

After reading about programs to decipher Japanese for Wizardry 5 Ordeals (the message squares in game), I wonder if those programs work for older games.

I'll probably pick up Unrealworld from itchio.

wayback still works to access the old site and some downloads still work.
Darghul archived
Wolf Mittag archived

I guess this thread is like a NEW YEARS EVE PARTY.

:cool::P+M+M:M:dance::M+M+M:P:cool:

You should definitively pick up Unreal World KeighnMcDeath . It's one of the most unique games I've ever played. Full of possibilities and ways of life, totally unique in its setting, extremely well fleshed out (after decades of continuous development), a very special atmosphere, absolute freedom. You can play this game your whole life and still find new stuff. The game is basically free but I do recommend everybody to pay the tiny sum and buy it. The developer very much derserves every support for the tremendous work he does.

I have to confess I was quite a bit drunk when I wrote my recommendation this morning, but even sober I stand for these words. Get this game and do yourself a treat. It's a game like no other.
As for Darghul: I wasn't drunk enough to get that utterly irrational and contrafactual optimism to expect a release this year - or in the next decades. But still - wonders happen now and then so I'll keep an open mind. Let's maintain the watch at this grave as a guard of honor - it's not as there is much else to do for us desperate and forlorn lot. ;)

Hello friends, I was wondering if anyone has heard anything new in the meantime?

I'm thinking about asking a business programmer I know who does games sometimes as side-projects if he would be interested in contacting Wolf to help with or takeover Darghul as project - IF he even got time for that or manages to reach Wolf. I was also looking around if it would be possible to "start it from scratch" in Unity as our own fan-project, sadly I'm not skilled enough for that by any means. Perhaps someone here would be better suited for that task? We have the archived page about the Windows Version, the old (finished) DOS-Version and Teudogar as references to rebuild Darghul or maybe something even greater, if that is possible.

Mainly just throwing ideas/thoughts here, still got my hopes up that someday we will have a finished game, in any way possible.

:hmmm:

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Prolly too busy with his GF.
darghul_10.png

ZFNIem4.jpg

I always need a reminder of what this game looks like:
darghul_7.png

darghul_3.png

darghul_8.png

I guess just run a translator program on another comp of window...... and slowly teach yourself the language.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/darghul-cie

I guess just run a translator program on another comp of window...... and slowly teach yourself the language.
https://www.myabandonware.com/game/darghul-cie

The language is German, I'm a native speaker and would happily do a full translation of all the text if there would be like a project of some sort to "revive" the game. :-D The main issues I see here is finding people with knowledge and time to actually redo this in Unity (or in another way?) and probably also getting that graphic-style used by Wolf back then for the Darghul-Remake... Might be easier to simply use different graphics, as there might be copyright issues otherwise, but I'm no graphics-expert.

One of the most unique features for me in this Darghul-Remake (and Teudogar) is the inventory-system, where you have a weight limit (and a quantity-limit for some large items like body armors) but can freely place anything anywhere in your bag, no grids or stacking. I've only seen that in the Ultima-Series (didn't play myself), I really love this system, makes you actually spending some time for item-sorting instead of spam-clicking a bunch of times to increase some number.

Juestle

Novice
any idea how i can get the full version of the old dos version? Looking for it since years now ...

Juestle

Novice
german is fine for me. I had the Shareware Version once but could never finish the game. any full version would make me sooo happy :)

Thelorn

Barely Literate
Hey all,

thanks first of all for the Thread!
I really loved to play the Shareware when I was a kid and I really wanted (and still want) this piece of work seen finished.

Lord Edelweiss I am also German and used to code (games). Nowadays I run three software companies and I would have the financial and personell resources to assist Wolf to finish it.
Does anyone still has contact to him or Email or Social Media?
Thanks! :salute:

azerty

Educated
Hey all,

thanks first of all for the Thread!
I really loved to play the Shareware when I was a kid and I really wanted (and still want) this piece of work seen finished.

Lord Edelweiss I am also German and used to code (games). Nowadays I run three software companies and I would have the financial and personell resources to assist Wolf to finish it.
Does anyone still has contact to him or Email or Social Media?
Thanks! :salute:
Hi :)

I have his emails. He responded me a few years ago, I hope he still use them.

Maybe we could create a discord channel to discuss between those who want to work together to contact him ?

MerchantKing

Learned
Did any of you guys played the original, German version? Shareware version or perhaps the full release? Was it good? I know Teudogar was, but I'm curious about Darghul. Tried to play the shareware version one day, but because I don't speak High Gothic, never reached far.
Now that I think about it, the map of Ukraine looks kinda like a frog.

Man, you guys sure have mental stamina and an iron optimism! I respect that. Alas I have to ask the disconcerning yet obvious question: Is this guy even still alive at this point?

Last edited:

Modron

Arcane
I mean teudogar.com is still up in its minimized capacity someone is paying the bills somewhere.

Ulfberth

Novice
Does anyone of you know the adress of Wolf in Shanghai? IMO it's also worth a try to send him an old school letter at this point. I encourage all of you who are interested in the game to join the Discord. There we can collect all the small details we know to maybe sucessfull contact Wolf.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom