Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So I heard you like Betrayal at Krondor...

Hekateras

Educated
Which is why I'm gonna pimp some fanart of it now. Though "some" might be a very conservative term.

Rather than spam you with dozens of pictures, I'm just gonna link to my Midkemia folder in my DA account. That's my heap of stuff. If I don't get violently stoned to death with rotten vegetables here, I'll probably update this thread when I have new stuff to show.

Now I'm gonna link you to some fanart done by other people that I've meticulously dug up on the net and occasionally personally begged other people to create: here, here, here, here, here, here and here. You're welcome.

Yes, it's not much. Depressing, I know. If you have any artistic talent, go out there and do something now, dammit.

On a related note, here and here are the best places to find general Riftwar fanart (like, Jimmy the Hand and Tsurani and stuff).

And finally, some userpics for your convenience:

wY7Ig.gif
vdQTQ.gif
febZo.gif
2c4wD.gif
EC7P3.gif
PlDY6.png
lrKTG.png
IrF3R.png

Hekateras

Educated
Dude, the two are, like, close friends. Shippers can't stand close relationships that don't involve romance. It doesn't compute to them.

But in fairness, it's part of the artist's series of crack!Valentine's cards. Like so:

i_pick_you__by_blu3vibration-d4po01u.jpg

you_take_my_breath_away_by_blu3vibration-d4pqdtk.jpg

great_future_by_blu3vibration-d4poh4k.jpg

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Pretty good drawings, though why is it 50% Gorath and Owyn and 30% elves? And why is Owyn so girly looking? Not a single drawing of Locky makes me sad 8(

Anyways, thanks for sharing these.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
I am surprised by these representations of Gorath as a young, baby-faced, thin person.

In my mind, he was always a 7 foot tall, muscular monster with scars and cold-weather-worn features, and someone who was putting on age and reaching his last years. And I thought of him as having large and full beards and not just half a beard.

Something like a 60 year old Sikh warrior who fought in the 19th century battles in the freezing cold Himalayas of the Anglo-Sikh war.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
I think Gorath is a young man (by Elven standards), it's just that him as a Moredhel entering Elvandar made him age prematurely and world-weary (IIRC he had entered Elvandar already years before he went there with Owyn).

Hekateras

Educated
Pretty good drawings, though why is it 50% Gorath and Owyn and 30% elves? And why is Owyn so girly looking? Not a single drawing of Locky makes me sad 8(

Anyways, thanks for sharing these.

I'd recommend checking the other link I gave for pictures of Locky - the one of the fangroup. Gorath and Owyn are Neal Hallford's OCs that originated in the game. Locky, on the other hand, is from the books, so I tend to separate the art by that criteria.

Yes, Owyn tends to be too girly looking - working on that.

Who's this? Gorath's ex?

I think I'll use it

It's actually Liallan, Chieftain of the Snow Leopards. Full image here. You should remember her from Chapter IV.

I am surprised by these representations of Gorath as a young, baby-faced, thin person.

In my mind, he was always a 7 foot tall, muscular monster with scars and cold-weather-worn features, and someone who was putting on age and reaching his last years. And I thought of him as having large and full beards and not just half a beard.

Something like a 60 year old Sikh warrior who fought in the 19th century battles in the freezing cold Himalayas of the Anglo-Sikh war.

Well, I was trying to go on his (low-res, pixellated) appearance in the game within reason, where he doesn't have that large a beard and is mentioned to have one facial scar that's mostly hidden by his hairline. That aside, he's an elf, so he wouldn't display much signs of age beyond some lines and greying hair, and besides, 260 (as in the books) is hardly "reaching his last years" (in fact, personally I would put down most of the grey hair and such to stress and grief and probably malnutrition rather than age, but that's just me). And he's from the frozen, starved Northlands, which in my mind puts a limit on the kind of bulk he would accumulate, and given how the moredhel have a distaste for (not to mention a lack of) horses and basically seem to get around by walking and jogging, I think it makes sense that he'd have great upper-body bulk but be rather wiry and thin otherwise. And the bottom of my barrel of reasons is that drawing that kind of bulk is tricky and I'm just getting the hang of it. ^^; The fact that I can't seem to get him right is part of what keeps me drawing, after all. ^^

I'll be trying for a more savage and weather-worn look nevertheless, of course. :) Looking a bit wilder would suit him.

I think Gorath is a young man (by Elven standards), it's just that him as a Moredhel entering Elvandar made him age prematurely and world-weary (IIRC he had entered Elvandar already years before he went there with Owyn).

I'm pretty sure it was meant that he went past Elvandar with his clan, like most moredhel have to do when travelling between the Green Heart and the Northlands. He'd never gone into it before.

Blu3vib3

Educated
Dude, the two are, like, close friends. Shippers can't stand close relationships that don't involve romance. It doesn't compute to them
But in fairness, it's part of the artist's series of crack!Valentine's cards. Like so:

Hey. Artist in question here. As Heketeras pointed out, the riddle chest picture was totally intended as a lengthy series of valentines and wasn't really meant to imply my approval of hawt Garoth x Owyn yaois. I just wanted to include the game in the set and Gorath and Owyn were the most visually recognizable elements from it, in addition to totally being best bros - so I added them after I realized the wordlock chest alone might not immediately call BaK to mind. I will also go on the record as saying that despite the depictions in the rest of the series I don't necessarily support Robert Foster x Joey the Robot, The Avatar x The Guardian, or Gorrister x A Symbolic Representation of a Chinese Supercomputer Which has Taken on the Form of a Jackal.

SerratedBiz

Arcane
As the one who originally singled that one out (not that it was the only one I disliked, explained next) I have no real problem with your recurring motif and, having played a bunch of those, can appreciate them for what they are.

I was more disappointed, rather, with the prospect of finding some quality and serious BaK fan art and finding stuff like your card or cartoon Gorath. It's just not my cup of tea.

Blu3vib3

Educated
Uh... awkward. I totally am chill if people don't dig my art - I just wanted to somewhat clarify my lack of lack of slashtastic intentions with that piece (No apologies for the QFG one... Devon Aidendale x Lockpick is my OTP :P)

Anyhow... I initially stumbled on this thread as I was doing a search to see if anyone had done any art of Navon du Sandau that I could glean some inspiration from, as I was doing a drabble/comic/thing regarding his death. I finished the piece, by the by, and figure that as this is a BaK art thread I might as well post it here. Feel free to like it or not like it - I draw because I like drawing.

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Run away my dear. This is a bad place.

Anyway, back to speaking about the last book. Did you read all of it now Hekateras?

Really frustrating wasn't it.
:hmmm:

Tell me about your moredhel frustrations.

Raapys

Arcane
THEY ARE ALL DOOMED
PUG CANNOT SAVE THEM FROM TEH NUKE

Or did he??

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's a mystery.

Damn, i forgot how that meme worked. Help me out old timers. MYSTYRY?

Blu3vib3

Educated
Not art, per se, but if anyone's interested I also made this. Helpful for those times in Chapter 7 where you don't want to waste what precious little health Patrus has in deciphering chests.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Not art, per se, but if anyone's interested I also made this. Helpful for those times in Chapter 7 where you don't want to waste what precious little health Patrus has in deciphering chests.
You actually deciphered moredhel writing yourself?

I have known some dedicated gamers, but god damn.

Blu3vib3

Educated
You actually deciphered moredhel writing yourself?

I have known some dedicated gamers, but god damn.

It actually wasn't that hard. The trick is to set the text speed to wait and to copy down characters during chapters with Gorath when they briefly appear prior to the automatic translation. After two or three boxes, I had most of the alphabet. The only difficult part was the quest to find one of the two boxes with the letter "Z" - which resulted in my party nearly starving to death in Dimwood.

Hekateras

Educated
Hehe, I remember someone in the game (some dwarf?) referring to the moredhel writing as "chicken scratchery". Now I remember why. XD

Uh... awkward. I totally am chill if people don't dig my art - I just wanted to somewhat clarify my lack of lack of slashtastic intentions with that piece (No apologies for the QFG one... Devon Aidendale x Lockpick is my OTP :p)

Anyhow... I initially stumbled on this thread as I was doing a search to see if anyone had done any art of Navon du Sandau that I could glean some inspiration from, as I was doing a drabble/comic/thing regarding his death. I finished the piece, by the by, and figure that as this is a BaK art thread I might as well post it here. Feel free to like it or not like it - I draw because I like drawing.

Geez, I love you. So. Much. I hope you do more BaK stuff. Seriously, I cannot describe how happy this makes me. Let's just say I ritually do searches on all kinds of search engines to see if just maybe anyone's happened to do anything on BaK.

Badass Owyn is badass. And I really prefer your version to Feist's novelisation - is it just me, or did that scene kind of reek of desperation in the book, on Feist's part? "Yes, I'll just let the two OC's watch while I remind everyone how awesome Jimmy is, and why they should love Jimmy, by having him beat the villain first in chess and then in swordfighting. Yesss, and then I'll have one of the OC's hit the other by accident for laughs. Then little Jimmy's popularity will be secure! Muahaha!"

...Although I've avoided looking at your art too closely for now, because after I look at it, I'll be back to "OMG there's no new fanart of it to be found" square one. I'm kind of pathetic like that.

Have you heard of Archive of Our Own, though? (archiveofourown.org) It hosts fanfic and openly and proudly spits on anyone who dares to restrict people's creativity like that. (Though I'm with you on the "Feist doesn't own these guys anyway" rationale.) Just... you know, mentioning. It even has a Riftwar fanfic already, with young Jimmy.

Run away my dear. This is a bad place.

Anyway, back to speaking about the last book. Did you read all of it now Hekateras?

Really frustrating wasn't it.

Tell me about your moredhel frustrations.

Uh, I stopped reading when I no longer had to procrastinate studying for my maths final, but now I'm intrigued, if only in a "what has he done wrong now" manner. Will be reporting back soon.

*cough* Do you perhaps have some Betrayal in Antara fan art as well?

I've encountered exactly one piece of BiA fanart, here. The artist has some more doodles scattered in her gallery. Slashy, slashy ones.

BIG EDIT OF DOOM

Guys. Guys. O_O Neal is talking about a Kickstarter'd Betrayal at Krondor remake. Neal. Guys. O_O I'm not getting my hopes up, but even hearing about this literally makes me feel faint. Spread the word, will you? Christ, this deserves its own separate thread. You know what? I'll just go and make one. Yeah.

...Oh wait. They've already talked to Feist. Apparently the rights for BaK "simply aren't available at the moment", whatever the hell that means. *sigh*

I want to go and Kickstart a "let's steal Ray's skin and impersonate him" project. Who's with me?

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
Would a true sequel to Betrayal at Krondor be possible through Kickstarter? Who holds the rights to the IP?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
Would a true sequel to Betrayal at Krondor be possible through Kickstarter? Who holds the rights to the IP?
Vivendi Universal?

Dynamix was a subsidiary of Sierra, and Sierra was acquired by Vivendi, so that is my vague guess.

Of course, that's the rights to BaK. Raymond Feist holds the right to Krondor, and he should be approached directly if possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom