Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Wasteland So I just beat Fountain of Dreams

Fountain of Dreams

• Completed it

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • Played it & dropped it

Votes: 2 16.7%
  • Avoided it like the plague

Votes: 9 75.0%

• Total voters

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I don't truly know why I chose to put myself through that, perhaps it was completionism after playing the WL1 Remaster & WL2 DC again recently (guess I'm playing WL3 soon). It wasn't terrible unplayable garbage like every review that exists of it says, but it is high on the difficulty scale and grindy as fuck if you want to succeed, and even then the RNG element to certain encounters can be a pain in the dick.

It doesn't have as many maps but I wouldn't call it too short because of that, Miami actually has a few things to do for such a cramped game, it probably ends up like 1/2 as long as WL1 if you cut out any grinding portion to not die instantly while approaching the clown compound.

I think by far the biggest problem with the game is that it autosaves, which is crazy, the reason being that there's only one save slot (your entire game directory's files, which comes out to a whopping 950KB) and the game decides to autosave at the most inopportune times possible. Once you come to terms with entire directory copy paste savescumming (well, not really savescumming, just keeping more than 1 "save" available) it becomes tolerable. But this is obviously a huge reason why the game was considered such fucking dogshit back when it came out, imagine reinstalling the game every time you got autosaved into a situation with your entire party in a coma about to die before you can get back to a doctor, I can't imagine ever completing the game under those circumstances.

The setting in general I found to be fine, Killer Clowns and all, it's !!wacky!! and retarded, even more so than the first Wasteland having wacky stuff like Harry the Bunny Master, but it works fine for Fountain of Dreams. The gangs in Miami are suitably wacky but not overly so like the Clowns.

And then look to today, Wasteland 3 is gonna have a clown faction after all. I read in a few places that InXile was looking to buy the Fountain of Dreams IP from EA in 2019 but it was all very [citation needed], I'm wondering if Fargo has some idea to reincorporate FoD into the Wasteland canon in some way all these years later, there was that readable in Wasteland 2 that references FoD. I guess I'll keep an eye out in Wasteland 3 for any retarded possible connections between the clown world factions.

Have any of you fucks ever played this game long enough to complete it?
28adypB.jpg

JDR13

Arcane
Never completed it myself. Just watching some gameplay footage was enough to let me know it was mostly shit.

AArmanFV

Arbiter
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
It's in my "to do list", so no.

Also, they could use the "Meantime" plot or ideas if they haven't used it yet in Fallout or Wasteland 2, instead of using a forgetteable IP from EA (so indeed, is very [citation needed] that story).

octavius

Arcane
Patron
On my play list I have lots of games which I've commented with "sounds boring". Fountain of Dreams didn't even get a "pass", that's how much I avoided it.

But it's always interesting to read comments from people who have completes such obvious turkeys.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane
On my play list I have lots of games which I've commented with "sounds boring" boring. Fountain of Dreams didn't even get a "pass", that's how much I avoided it.

But it's always interesting to read comments from people who have completes such obvious turkeys.

Yeah, as someone who has lived in Florida most of my life, I really like the concept of FoD. The execution was obviously pretty bad though.

SharkClub

Prophet
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Also, they could use the "Meantime" plot or ideas if they haven't used it yet in Fallout or Wasteland 2, instead of using a forgetteable IP from EA (so indeed, is very [citation needed] that story).
Isn't Meantime something else entirely (time travel with Einstein or some shit) just with the same gameplay, like Escape from Hell.

I think the point there is that FoD is something that could actually be reincorporated into Wasteland, considering that FoD was intended by EA to be a sequel to Wasteland and that the developers of FoD were most likely very familiar with Wasteland when making it, considering they remade the engine from scratch (or possibly partially stolen code) to mimic WL1 as closely as they could.

I can tell from my time playing it that it's certainly not just straight up using WL1's engine and gameplay, there's enough little differences that you can tell it was either made with only parts of the Wasteland engine or as a recreation of it entirely, certain things don't act the same way. The new Wasteland 1 Remaster is actually more accurate to Wasteland's engine (I'm assuming they had the source code for it), with the exception of the absence of macros than the FoD engine is.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom