Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

So I Might Buy Mass Effect...

Discussion in 'BioWare' started by Arcanoix, Apr 3, 2009.

?

Buy Mass Effect?

1. Yes.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. inb4Volourn

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Mass Effect is fun the first time through so long as you go light on the uncharted worlds. Replaying is horrible though, since all too often picking different answers on the dialog wheel gives you the exact same dialog.

^ Top  
  2. 360 version didn't have DRM, and the Steam version doesn't have limited activations, just Steam. Either one's preferable to retail PC version.

^ Top  
  3. Trash Pointing and laughing.

Trash
    It's a pretty fun rpg. When it came out I was so sick and tired of cliched fantasy rpg's that I was more than glad to play a cliched sci-fi rpg. Go lite on the uncharted worlds and try playing with an evil female Shepard. The game rises above itself when you do.

^ Top  
  4. Hümmelgümpf Arbiter

Hümmelgümpf
    Played it up until the point where you first leave the Citadel, uninstalled in disgust. From what I've heard, it doesn't get better. Won't even bother with ME2 or 3, won't bother with Dragon Age. I lost whatever shreds of hope in BioWare I had left in me, and I no longer believe that they can improve.
    I don't know, you tell us, Volly.

^ Top  
  5. Micormic Unwanted

Unwanted
    No, your just a faggot.

^ Top  
  6. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Hahaha nice joke
    Crappy consolish textures, a token space-marines-vs-aliens #20353 storyline with every possible dull sci-fi cliche, and especially Shepard who sounds like someone cut his balls off.
    Not speaking about how everything besides main quest is literally copypasted throughout the game, even armor and weapons always have the exactly same models, only textures change - the same with enemies. It's like Bioware wasn't even trying.

^ Top  
  7. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    For the love of motherfucking Jesus Christ jumping around on a motherfucking pogo stick in the middle of the motherfucking Himalaya mountains, why the fuck are people still asking if they should give Mass Effect a try? Alright, shit, I'm going to slightly paraphrase Patton Oswalt when he commented on living in Los motherfucking Angeles: Mass Effect and every other fucking game Bioware have and will put out is like this enormous, purple, old and bloated demon cock with infected sperm and FUCK IT, just go ahead and suck it, you stupid fucks. I give up. YOU PEOPLE ARE THE REASON WE CAN'T HAVE GOOD GAMES!

But be sure to buy at least three copies of Alpha Protocol when it comes out.

^ Top  
  8. DarkUnderlord Professional Throne Sitter

DarkUnderlord
    I'm wondering whether I should give Mass Effect a try. I hear it's good.

^ Top  
  9. Andyman Messiah Mr. Ed-ucated

Andyman Messiah
    DON'T YOU FUCKING TEST ME, MOTHERFUCKER!!

^ Top  
  10. racofer Thread Incliner

racofer
    Look at me codex, I'm such a p. cool guy, using strong words when arguments fail me and doesn't fearing anything.

^ Top  
  11. Rean Instructor Patron Sad Loser

Rean

I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Buy it. After KOTOR, it's the best thing Bioware have ever made.

^ Top  
  12. Demnogonis Saastuttaja Magister

Demnogonis Saastuttaja
    It's mediocre, of slighly above average. It mostly lacks charm and polish. I wouldn't recommend it if you have better games to play - and most likely you do - but I bought it myself for 13€, finished it and mostly forgot about it, due to curiosity. The best things about it were music and your own character (what I mean is that I liked playing a military type, and what I got to say almost never annoyed me unlike many other games).

If you have a period when you're too lazy to seriously bother your brain or your twitch finger (or if you're a game journalist), then it's playable. Like most new console games, I suppose. You could also play some flash-based puzzle game for free.

^ Top  
  13. Jim Cojones Prophet

Jim Cojones
    KotOR > BG2
    :shock:..................................... :lol:

^ Top  
  14. Ebonsword Arcane

Ebonsword
    I'd say buy it, since you can get it so cheap now.

Yeah, it's not the best game ever (by a longshot), but it's nice to play a sci-fi RPG instead of a fantasy one for a change.

I found it pretty fun to play as a Soldier and take out the giant robots on foot instead of in the vehicle.

^ Top  
  15. SuicideBunny (ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻

SuicideBunny
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
    futuristic fantasy is still fantasy and not sci-fi.

^ Top  
  16. Thrasher Erudite

Thrasher
    Yeah it's cheap, but I already have a bunch of better games to play.

I'll wait until I can get the 1-3 compilation for $20. ;)

^ Top  
  17. Gay-Lussac Arcane

Gay-Lussac
    I (didn't) remove it from the inventory. It's decent for a single playthrough if you're not expecting something with incredible depth (I never do in videogames). Oh and don't do the sidequests, they sucks huge donkey balls.

^ Top  
  18. POOPERSCOOPER Prophet

POOPERSCOOPER
    When I first played Mass Effect I thought it was alright but had many flaws. I then played FO3 and began to appreciate ME much more. It's sad how fast my standards fall.

^ Top  
  19. M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E Scholar

M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E
    Funny to read about ME having a lack of depth. I suppose the hundreds of pages worth of debate on the ME forums over the themes and in game choices, the codex and two background stories are my imagination? http://masseffect.bioware.com/forums/vi ... ?forum=123

Admit, ME as a game and as a setting is more fleshed out and developed than most games in the past 10 years.

^ Top  
  20. Let me tell you about the best game ever made, World of Warcraft.

^ Top  
  21. Jaesun Fabulous Moderator

Jaesun
    Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Well ok YOU GOT ME! If you don't explore the Citadel with both Wrex and Ashley you miss out on the TWO ONLY "special" events and dialogues in the entire Citadel.

R00fles!!!!111!

^ Top  
  22. Qwinn Scholar

Qwinn
    Very false. Several special dialogues in the Citadel require both Ashley and Kaidan (sp?).

Two examples: The "scenic view" in the Lower Ward (which I didn't find in my first several playthroughs, btw), and also try delivering the merchandise for the C-Sec guy to the Krogan with those two. Those two are among my favorite dialogue bits in the game actually. Oh, and there's a minor banter between them after you talk to the general for the Consort, too. That's just what I can remember off the top of my head, I'm sure there's more.

And then there's the background specific quests that all happen in the citadel, with one of 'em ("I Remember Me", with the colonist background I think) being one of the most touching, well designed, well written and best voice acted quests I've seen in any game.

Also, lots of specific dialogues dependent on who you have tagging along with you in the elevators. Especially going up to the Council chambers before a meeting with them. Of course, you can skip that if you use the fast transit, but don't bitch that it ain't there if you're taking shortcuts and missed it.

Qwinn

^ Top  
  23. made Arcane

made
    On the Gears of War forum, there's a gazillion threads discussing Gears of War's storyline and characters. What's your point? The internet is awesome?

^ Top  
  24. M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E Scholar

M_I_C_K_E_Y_M_O_U_S_E

^ Top  
  25. MetalCraze Arcane

MetalCraze
    Why do you torture yourself so much?

^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.