Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So Jade Empire

Dodo1610

Arcane
I never understood why Jade Empire is so unpopular. The setting is absolutely unique, the story is in my opinion even better than in KOTOR and the simplistic action gameplay is fun too. Sure it's not one of the greatest games ever made by it's definitely worth a playthrough.

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
Jade Empire was kind of ahead of it's time, with the blocking, combos and different styles and destructable environments (okay, mostly kicking a guy on a table, but that never got old!). It was also the last truly good Bioware story: well thoughtout, every detail fitted the greater narrative and it had a real ending. Bioware should have looked at the combat system and implemented it into the Dragon Ages, then the fights would've been at least fun.

And the quests were GOOD. Like, really good. And it's still playable, compared to Kotor 1. Not as clunky, more flexible and it's fun to kick the crap out of people (and on the highest difficulty it's kind of hard).

Last edited:

PsychoFox

Educated
JE is probably one of the first RPGs i've ever played, although i don't even agree that it's an RPG anymore. Regardless, it can be pretty fun if you like martial arts and i thought the lore was just okay. I particularly enjoyed convincing companions to join the dark side though. It was fun.

Jacob

Pronouns: Nick/Her
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
its also a shitty xbox1 game with corridor maps and weak encounter design

Still more fun that Dragon Age: Origins.
there's as much reason in comparing dao and jade empire as there is in comparing fallout and baulders
For a while I thought "dao" is some lesser known RPG set in China and it made me skim the thread to find the full title. Turns out you were talking about some shitty Biowaer game.

GarfunkeL

Racism Expert
so you might as well do it, but be a good girl so you can have a threesome.

You can have a threesome with the girls as a man too. Its stupidly arbitrary though so you really need to follow a guide.
Wasn't that added by modders? I'm like 83% certain that the threesome is only available for the female protagonist.

RaptorRex888

Learned
Remember that enslaved woman in a cage in the sky palace or whatever the fuck (it's been nearly 15 years) where the outcome that was a clear, perfect epitome of what closed fist represented netted you less closed fist points than the bullshit edgy teen option? RaptorRex remembers.

jf8350143

Liturgist
I never understood why Jade Empire is so unpopular. The setting is absolutely unique, the story is in my opinion even better than in KOTOR and the simplistic action gameplay is fun too. Sure it's not one of the greatest games ever made by it's definitely worth a playthrough.
The setting is unique and that's part of the reason why people don't like it.

The majority of people likes "generic" settings instead of bunch of characters with Chinese names they can't remember. And when Jade Empire comes out China was still a dark land to western single player games.

Though I doubt it will be popular in China, even it comes out now. Chinese players are very unpredictable when it comes to western game deals with Chinese culture. And Jade Empire is too much of a mixed bag since it has lots of japanese culture mixed in there.

InD_ImaginE

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Remembering Jade Empire makes me want more games in Wuxia or Asia martial arts setting in general.

:negative:
There are great ones available on Steam.

Yes I know that some Chinese RPG made it to the west. Wish their translation quality is better tho.

Still, the setting are interesting enough and could be combined with traditional Chinese fantasy as well. My wish stand that I want more games in the setting with or without following general Wuxia tropes.

v1rus

Arcane
Started playing this, made it to chapter 2. So far, standard Bioware fare of tolerable variety.

But, saying "I fucking love the setting" would be a serious understatement.

No, seriously, I'm Lifting Wind Zan Pao, an ebul sword-swiniging, fire tossing lezbian. Lifting fucking Wind. How awesome is that?

I really like what I saw all in all. Just one question - is there a good doc that lists all techs/martial arts by chapter? I always like to check what I've missed in previous chapters, and Wiki, for instance, doesnt sort that shit by chapters - meaning its ultra easy to get spoiled doing so.

EDIT - So, a side quest NPC just told me, that as a gesture of thanks, if she gives birth to a daughter, shell name her after me. More Lifting Wind Zan Paos? Pure fucking awesomeness, this game.

Last edited:

_Vic_

Educated
Ah, good times leaping-tiger my way out chi-punching ghosts in this game. Good story, nice companions, interesting setting. Very enjoyable game. Pretty underrated

Did you check https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/xbox/918890-jade-empire/faqs ?
IIRC you cannot get all techniques in the same run, and also there are some hidden ones that you can only access via modding.
Just do not use jade golem because makes the fights pointless.

Enjoy the game, v1rus

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
I always thought this was an under-appreciated game and actually one of BioWare's better games (about on a level with KOTOR, something like that). The best thing was the way they tried to use authentic Chinese lore re. ghosts, vampires, etc., which made them interestingly different from the Western equivalent.

I am actually pretty surprised that the game has 86 metascore in gamefaqs. Cool.
Dark years, where utter mediocrity in the genre was praised to the rooftop because their only experience with it was some weeb shit where you had to grind twelve hours of random encounters to pass a roadblock.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom