Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Jaesun, what's a "classic RPG"? (poll)

What do you think of the new RPG forums?

• Total voters

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It seems that you're defining it as "early 90's and before". I'm cool with that. :bro:

Repressed Homosexual
I would say it is mostly ones that promote gameplay mechanics and skill checks instead of stories told like movies and realistic graphics.

I hope that we will at least be able to make comparisons with say, a JRPG or a modern game, if it would be appropriate over the course of a thread in order to have gameplay perspectives.

TripJack

Hedonist
can we get the classic rpg discussion forum split into separate sections for isometric and first person rpgs plz that would b way better
:dance:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would say it is mostly ones that promote gameplay mechanics and skill checks instead of stories told like movies and realistic graphics.

I think the criteria should be based mainly on release date. Otherwise we'll get endless arguments about whether late 90's RPGs are "classic".

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
So, Diablo 2 and Final Fantasy 7 threads go to CRPGD, ToEE and KotC threads go to GRPGD... Am i getting this right?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I still think setting the cutoff point right at the beginning of the mid-90's First Great RPG Decline is a good idea. Let's have a true oldfag RPG forum.

(sequels to oldfag franchises can also be discussed here even if they were released after the cutoff point, as long as they're classic in spirit, eg Wizardry 8)

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
This forum is a work in progress, so we will see how it goes. The mid-90's are possibly a good point, except that could exclude a few. Though games in the last Decade, that are on the PC and considered classics I think still work.

Turjan

Arcane
This seems unnecessarily complicated and highly arbitrary. It's not that GRPGD is overly busy, anyway.
So, Diablo 2 and Final Fantasy 7 threads go to CRPGD, ToEE and KotC threads go to GRPGD... Am i getting this right?
Heh, really. At least this is on target to get highly comical.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
What about "Computer RPG discussion" and "Console RPG discussion"? Day one cross platform titles would belong to "Console RPGD".

Kattze

Andhaira
Andhaira
Can't we just revert back to a GRPGD instead of two boards for both classic and decline RPGs? It would be really embarrassing for this site's monocleness if the GRPGD had millions of 100-page threads while threads in the Classic RPGs languished to around 2 or 3 pages.

Turjan

Arcane
How about 1. cRPG and 2. Action "RPG"/j"rpg"/console "RPG"/my lower intenstine forums.
I have the feeling that all these distinctions only lead to endless discussions about what belongs where. I'd rather talk about the games than what category they belong to.

Sure, but remember you'll have to share your monocle forum with Diablo 3.

This whole thing is ultimately about people feeling monocled for not posting in the Decline Board, since skipping threads you're not interested on is easier than jumping back and forth between slow-moving specialized subforums. Yeah, I'm sure people will double check a game's release date, platforms it's available on and whether it focuses more on mechanics than on story or vice versa before creating a thread.

Not+OCD.jpg

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Jaesun likes adventures so much he's trying to make it the liveliest game subforum-

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom