Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, Jaesun, what's a "classic RPG"? (poll)

What do you think of the new RPG forums?

• Total voters

spekkio

Arcane
Excuses, excuses...

:rpgcodex:

strategy game and has nothing to with jrpgs

Don't forget that everything made in Japan is jRPG by Codex standards.
FFT can be a tactical game and animu-free but it's still shitty jRPG because people who know jack-shit about games said so.

After all...

Final Fantasy

:mob:

:lol:

kaizoku

Arcane
KotC
(hopefully) Wasteland 2
(even more hopefully) the future MCA kickstarter

Not classics (deal with it)

You're assuming that there's some definition of "classic" that isn't reflected by date. I say we can define what a "classic" is entirely by date, if we want to.
this was already explained, so I'm not sure if trolling

I consider that being able to filter games based on their quality from the remaining is more important than filtering them based on their date. There are still old games that are shit.

On my initial post I said
FWIW IMO, for a cRPG to be eligible for the prestigious tag it should have to respect the following:
- released more than 5 years ago
- somewhat comparable (in terms of quality) to the codex top 10

1) the use of a prestigious tag (which implies quality) instead of classic (which is sometimes confused with purely the notion of time).

2) I mentioned a time period as well, because for a game to be considered good it must withstand the test of time (let all the superficial hype die)

3) it must be a good game. How do we know it's good? It must fare well against the best.
But now that I think about it, the codex top 10 criteria is not enough because it does lack some gems. But add those gems to the top 10 and you end up with a very solid base.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Oh gee, I go away for a few weeks and this happens.

The worst choice you've made in the entire time I've been reading 'dex.

Who the fuck has the time to read 10 forums? Not to mention the fact that even browsing the forums list takes longer now. I just glance at the list now and most of the time decide that it isn't worth the effort to peruse their content.

gg
Haba's top two forums:
General Discussion 47%
General Gaming 10%

:hmmm:

Another reason was to ideally limit the set of tags, otherwise we may end up with a bunch of stupid synonyms, and we get back to square one.
which is better and why? discuss (tm)
Yeah, given the visual mess that is the news forum, I'm not entirely happy with the in-built thread tag system.

Now this might actually be worth trying.

offtopic: is multi-quote broken?
If I click "reply" on a post that is already quoting someone, then the inner quotes vanish... :|
Doesn't seem to be for me.

mondblut

Arcane

Last time I checked, North California wasn't in Japan.

FFT can be... animu-free

:what:

Maybe in some alternate timeline where the Fat Man and the Little Boy have exploded simultaneously and the resulting synergy utterly evaporated everything between USSR and USA, it is.

desocupado

Magister
Retards gonna retard I guess.

It's funny you mention it, because it was pretty much my thoughts when I read:

"Everything 10 years from now is crap. Everything older than 10 years is a classic"

Which by itself is an achievement (oh, noes, next gen crap!) in stupidity, but then, there's the following:

"PS: Good games newer than 10 years are also classics."

:) :) :)

Sul

Savant

Last time I checked, North California wasn't in Japan.

FFT can be... animu-free

:what:

Maybe in some alternate timeline where the Fat Man and the Little Boy have exploded simultaneously and the resulting synergy utterly evaporated everything between USSR and USA, it is.
By animu I think he meant typical anime faggotry ("I'm kawaii? uguu~~"), not visually. If it was not by the character design you would hardly think it came from Japan.
Not that it matters. What really is important is the art direction, god forbid if the core mechanics counted for something.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Haba's top two forums:
General Discussion 47%
General Gaming 10%

Ever wonder why? GD and GG used to both be easy to skim through, with new threads coming up frequently (not to mention retarded moderation often moving RPG threads to GG in the end). GRPGD on the other hand... Now the problem is just escalated - more clicks to see the few active threads in their respective forums.

mondblut

Arcane
If it was not by the character design you would hardly think it came from Japan.

Railroad rollercoaster? Check.

Everyone is speshul? Check.

Wagonloads of 12 year olds soap opera drama Gaider wouldn't be capable of even after Hamburger Hepler eats out his brain with a rusty teaspoon? Check.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Characters_of_Final_Fantasy_Tactics - if it didn't came from japan, it had to come from the Arkh Project crew :smug:

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Haba's top two forums:
General Discussion 47%
General Gaming 10%

Ever wonder why?
Because you're not interested in actually discussing RPGs. :)

GD and GG used to both be easy to skim through, with new threads coming up frequently (not to mention retarded moderation often moving RPG threads to GG in the end). GRPGD on the other hand... Now the problem is just escalated - more clicks to see the few active threads in their respective forums.
So you're using a situation that only occurred within the last week, as an excuse as to why for the past four years, you've only got 399 out of 5,147 posts in a forum that discusses RPGs.

And a search of your 400 posts in General Gaming brings up replies in such topics as:
- Dayz, a zombie mod for ArmA2
- CLANG - Realistic fencing kickstarter game
- Abandonware/Old Games -- How to Access HoT Underdogs
- Carmageddon: Reincarnation goes to kickstarter
- CryEngine 3 soft-body physics

I don't think it's so confusing that those aren't role-playing games.

At best, you could claim your posts in "The BioWare and Mass Effect Thread!" as remotely RPG related. And that's after going through 10 pages of search results (a quarter of all your posts in that forum).

Turjan

Arcane
Retards gonna retard I guess.

It's funny you mention it, because it was pretty much my thoughts when I read:

"Everything 10 years from now is crap. Everything older than 10 years is a classic"

Which by itself is an achievement (oh, noes, next gen crap!) in stupidity, but then, there's the following:

"PS: Good games newer than 10 years are also classics."

:) :) :)
Yes, the consistency shown here is truly amazing. But the game distribution matches this. The forum description now mentions 'mid 90's'. Guess where all the Wizardry 8 threads are.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Wizardry is a series that is consistent (for the most part). Same with Fallout/Fallout 2. Might and Magic series etc...

Phelot

Arcane
Hmmm.... the new names for the forums are a bit better, but I wonder... KotC isn't a "Golden Age RPG" and it'd be hard to describe it as "New Shit"

Perhaps it's a future Golden Age RPG :P

nope

Why can't i join the Enclave!!!

kaizoku said:
I consider that being able to filter games based on their quality from the remaining is more important than filtering them based on their date. There are still old games that are shit.

Filtering by quality? That's...even less specific than filtering by "classic-ness" . o_O

Stabwound

Arcane
Oblivion will never be considered a classic. Nor will Dragon Age.

What do we do with console games like the recent Japanese Wizardry spinoffs that are more "CRPG" than 95% of the shit released these days?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin

nope

Why can't i join the Enclave!!!

kaizoku said:

Filtering by quality? That's...even less specific than filtering by "classic-ness" . o_O

Classic shit is still classic.

Sul

Savant
RPG Codex: where games are categorized by the homeland of their programmers.

God, this is becoming even more retarded. Just drop it. Putting eyecandy or changing names won't help it.

Turjan

Arcane
New forums and instructions/descriptions are now perfect :obviously: .
Keep it this way!
I would make it more concise: "The contents of this forum is decided by the daily mood and whim of the assigned moderator. Don't ask." That would at least be clear.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
RPG Codex: where games are categorized by their subgenres
Fixed.

While western cRPGs are about developing an unique party/character (stats representing specific traits), JRPGs are all about the main characters getting stronger over time (stats going up, doesn't matter which ones). Those wank simulators don't deserve a place on the prestigious "Golden Age RPGs" forum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom