Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, which one is your favourite Witcher game?

Which Witcher does Witchering the Best?

• Witcher 1 (the NWN mod)

Votes: 149 45.8%
  • Witcher 2 (the cutscene simulator)

Votes: 20 6.2%
  • Witcher 3 (the downgraded port)

Votes: 126 38.8%
  • KC (Skyrim)

Votes: 30 9.2%

• Total voters

Achilles

Arcane
I too liked Witcher 1 the best.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Witcher 1 had tooooooo much sex,half an hour in the game and already fucked 5 sluts. Still the cards are nice wank collection.

GarySan

Barely Literate
Definitely the first Witcher. It was so goddamn amazing - blew me away so much that I forked out $3000 for a brand new PC just so I could play Witcher 2 in Ultra Super Sampling mode. The story was that I went to Hong Kong to work for a year in 2008, had an accident during the weekend where I broke my leg in a casual basketball game, so had to take a long break from work. I'm not a huge gamer, but since I was living at a friend's place during my stay, and he had a spare decent PC which he lent me, I decided to find some computer games to download to pass time. I'm from Australia, before arriving in HK, having walked through Harvey Norman, EB games and other retail stores I have seen Witcher Enhanced Edition, but never once did it ever interest me since I have never heard of the series. But I was so damn bored sitting in an apartment doing nothing all day, I decided to download whatever game I could find using Megaupload and that's when I came across Witcher. Immediately, I got hooked... I was so blown away in fact, a quarter way through the game (i think it was when I first just entered Vizima after finishing the swamp area) I decided to delete it, ask my mate to take me to the Golden Computer Centre to buy the real thing, reinstall it and replay it again right from the start.

The atmosphere, character development and story telling of the game was simply next level stuff. Everything in the game just came together so well, the story was deep and brilliantly told in an immersive world that had a perfect blend of open and linear filled with unique characters. Every single quest, and seriously I mean every single one of them got me intrigued, as I was always desperate to find out what happens next thanks to the excellent (and ridiculous) dialogues and twists. Despite the deep story line, what I loved also was that the game never treated itself too seriously as well, because I don't remember playing a video game where I laughed as much as Witcher 1. The random silly hook ups and some of the dialogues were just pure comedy gold - I especially loved the quest where you had to recite a poem with Dandelion. And how about the ending? Rounds up perfectly while leaving you wondering whether Jacques was Alvin. Quite an emotional roller coaster too, because I ended up with Shani rather than Triss, so was suppose to father Alvin. Then just when you thought everything has ended... boom! Comes one of the most epic cinematic scene of all time to provide a perfect introduction to what's to come in the sequel - The Assassins of Kings.

Witcher 2 and 3 are both exceptional, from a technical perspective it is definitely a better game than Witcher 1. But Witcher 1 easily tops it for me, and will always have a special place in my heart. I rate it as one of the best games I have ever played alongside Final Fantasy 7, Crash Bandicoot, Warcraft 3, Dragon Age Origins and Monster Hunter.

Master

Arbiter
thanks to the excellent (and ridiculous) dialogues

TW1 was the most quotable. The cannibal grampas "Eeeeee-nough!" cry when he gets attacked, i say that all the time. Also that "Heeey sonny! greeting. And am i the only one who pesters random passerbys with "Accept this blessing!" while swaying back and fourth like a crazed cultist?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Why do people like The Witcher 1?
chJvaHk.jpg

GarySan

Barely Literate

I believe the ones who voted for Witcher 1 are the ones who actually played and finished it during first release. At the time it truly was an exceptional experience - a perfect introduction to the world of the Witcher. The series was very much unknown back then, and it was only with Witcher 2, especially 3 where it was brought to mainstream popularity. People who started with the later Witchers naturally became interested in the first one, however Witcher 1 with the dated graphics and weird combat system hasn't aged well, especially compared to Witcher 3 (a widely accepted 10/10 game) so people were quick to abandon it.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot

I believe the ones who voted for Witcher 1 are the ones who actually played and finished it during first release. At the time it truly was an exceptional experience - a perfect introduction to the world of the Witcher. The series was very much unknown back then, and it was only with Witcher 2, especially 3 where it was brought to mainstream popularity. People who started with the later Witchers naturally became interested in the first one, however Witcher 1 with the dated graphics and weird combat system hasn't aged well, especially compared to Witcher 3 (a widely accepted 10/10 game) so people were quick to abandon it.
Yep it was exceptional. An RPG back then that was dumb and had terrible gameplay.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
But if it isn't for combat, why not just read the books? And I never play on easy and combat was nothing more than timed clicks. Some of the worst I've ever seen. And I didn't even think the other stuff was good either, boring maps, boring dialogue, boring exploration, boring loot. It doesn't help that I played NWN not long before it and this felt like the same thing but with all the depth sucked out of it.

Sjukob

Arcane
The first one?! Where you just click stuff until it dies?!
Like in every other game in the series? Like in many other different RPGs like diablo, arcanum, fallout, heck some of them (Ultima 7) don't even require that. Witcher is not different in this regard.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
The first one?! Where you just click stuff until it dies?!
Like in every other game in the series? Like in many other different RPGs like diablo, arcanum, fallout, heck some of them (Ultima 7) don't even require that. Witcher is not different in this regard.
Yes they are all super terrible games that you listed. But at least Diablo has spells n shit, and Witcher 3 required diving while you spammed the left mouse. Witcher 1 didn't even pretend. It was literally click, click, click. All these games should be thrown in a fire.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
If we have to be honest,the first one have the most rpg juices. I didn't like it because there was toooooo much sex and felt juvenile. You can fuck every 10 minutes in the game,and first thing you do is fuck the chick that see when you wake up.

Dux

Arcane
I liked Witcher 1 well enough. It wasn't perfect by any means but it felt like a decent CRPG. It's like a competently made medium-budget movie from Canada that has heart - I guess. Also, because it's Canadian it has this eldritch out-of-touch feel to it that would put off some people but not me. Like instead of CGI, you'd have sock puppets, stop-motion and all that shit. I'm down with that.

Witcher 2 is just Hollywood. Plastic Hollywood.

anvi

Prophet
Village Idiot
I liked Witcher 1 well enough. It wasn't perfect by any means but it felt like a decent CRPG. It's like a competently made medium-budget movie from Canada that has heart - I guess. Also, because it's Canadian it has this eldritch out-of-touch feel to it that would put off some people but not me. Like instead of CGI, you'd have sock puppets, stop-motion and all that shit. I'm down with that.

Witcher 2 is just Hollywood. Plastic Hollywood.
If you can't be a mage, rogue, or paladin, etc, then it's not a crpg. And if it doesn't have some sort of thought put into the combat system then it can't be called 'decent' at anything. I agree it is a competently made medium budget movie from Canada though.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I am torn between Witcher 1 which I loved to death and finished 4 times and Witcher 3. The last one is a great action RPG with tons of content, but the first one... the formula was so fresh. The identity and style more Slavic. It was not for everyone, but for the few who enjoyed it. Ofcourse it had its flaws, sometimes the storytelling was not too smooth, I heard the voice acting outside Polish version was not too good either. But still, one of my all-time loves.

So, let it be Witcher 1. Sorry, Yen.

Stefmob

Novice
I love the first Witcher, one of my favorite RPGs and games of all time. After 3 years still haven't finished the second one. It doesn't have that rough, middle age new fantasy atmosphere the first one had. I haven't played the third, waiting for that one until I finished the second.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn ONE A2003 met Tapatalk

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom