Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

So, why don't you put this game on Steam Greenlight?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
If Age of Decadence is any indication, the Codex's attention is capable of boosting a game up the ranks surprisingly quickly.

@Wolf Mittag

Last edited:
MCA
He would have to pay $100 for entry, though.

And he would also have to work on publicity. It's literally a very obscure game but it's fucking good. Buy it, play it if you haven't already.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I would make a newspost telling people to vote for it if he put it on Greenlight.

People will look at the graphics for 2 seconds and close the tab.
A hundred popular indie games with even shittier graphics would like to have a word with you.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
A hundred popular indie games with even shittier graphics would like to have a word with you.
Not sure, the popular games shitty graphics are cool and hip, like Minecraft, or make people feel ultra-hipster, like Cthullhu Saves the World. People feel like HARDCORE G4M3rZ posting their screenshots on facebook... Teudogar just looks old, U7-style, and the popamole audience has no interest in that.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Not sure, the popular games shitty graphics are cool and hip, like Minecraft, or make people feel ultra-hipster, like Cthullhu Saves the World. People feel like HARDCORE G4M3rZ posting their screenshots on facebook... Teudogar just looks old, U7-style, and the popamole audience has no interest in that.

Hmmm. Who defines what is hip?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hmmm. Who defines what is hip?
That question is beyond my power, is a very complex mess of common knowledge, media influence and "opinion-makers" (not evil corporations agenda, just influential people). I had like 4 years of classes on that subject, and the best answer I got was "depends". I.e, why the alien from Space Invaders became the symbol of old games? Because it was more popular? Easier to copy? Midway was less anal about copyrights than Nintendo? A very influential magazine used it and everyone copied? It's really ahrd to say without examining each case, generalizing and making a golden rule only makes it worse. Think of it as the memes on the internet, why some become popular and other not?

IMHO, it has to be iconic, like a symbol, so people will reckonize it and know what you're trying at. Wear those "funny" Space Invaders or Oregon Trail shirts and you're showing off how douche douche douche douche co-douche cool you are. They may not get the game right, but they'll get it's a "retro thing". If you wore a XCOM Sectoid t-shirt, no one would get what you're talking about, and it doesn't look "retro" enought to be cool; they can't safelly say it's from a old game.

Same for retro games artstyle, they have to be from a style everyone is familiar with... Cthullhu saves the World is obviously like old FF's, and that's a reference that l33t gamerz understand, but they never saw Ultima, Gold Box games or Wizardry. If Cthullhu saves the World were a Wizardry-style game, I doubt it would have even half the success.

I had a marketing teacher that had a wonderfull saying: One thing is a man dressed up as a bat fightning a clown, the other is Batman versus the Joker. I think that sums up everything.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Just put it on steam greenlight. $100 is not too much for such a great project and profits could be great. Codex would surely vote, we would spread the word and there's a lot of people on steam greenlight who vote for everything that sounds interesting even though looks terrible. these are not gaming journalists, but the simple people who decide what's good. Moreover even if you fail to get on greenlight, a lot of people will notice you, which was the case with AoD, there was a surplus of new members on AoD forums since it was put on greenlight. They were just interested about the game,would it succeed to be on steam or not.

It's a no brainer for me, you shouldn't even think about it.

Severian Silk

How long can a game remain on Greenlight without getting voted on?

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
Yes, Jesus, Joseph, and Mary. I can't find my CD and I don't want to have to order this again and have it mailed like it is still 1928. For the love of God put it on Steam.

Mustawd

Roqua, you've necro'd the wrong thread. We are only necroing Gothic II threads right now.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom