Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Solar Winds full game

Anyone know how or where I can find Solar Winds 1993 the full game (not shareware version on abandonware sites)?

solar-winds.png

vhaov8jrpc341.png

Norfleet

There was an actual rest of the game? I thought that it was just a to-be-continued vaporware.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
There was an actual rest of the game? I thought that it was just a to-be-continued vaporware.

Pretty sure there was a full game, because I remember playing both it and the shareware.

Also, I was sure I had it on my hard drive, but apparently not. Guess it's on one of my dozen ancient CDs labelled "OLD GAMES"

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
I don't have my ancient CD collection on hand and won't have it for the immediate future, alas.

Morpheus Kitami

Liturgist
I'm confused, because you're the second person I've seen say that there's no full version of the game around, without ever explaining why. As far as I can tell from playing the first episode, there's nothing missing. In the first episode, AKA, the shareware release, you do a bunch of stuff, then get sent to an alien galaxy, you start working for someone. The second episode starts with you having worked for someone for a year. There are no indications in either readme file that there's a bigger version of the first episode or that there's anything missing with the second episode. Are you absolutely sure there's something missing? If so, could you kindly explain what?

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Everyone is right.

The shareware version ends on a cliffhanger. Registration provides a second episode (Solar Winds: Galaxy or Solar Winds: Universe), but this also ends on a cliffhanger, albeit a lesser one. Confusingly, unlike with other contemporaneous shareware, these episodes are separate games and the latter one is sometimes billed as a sequel (i.e., Solar Winds 2) rather than as a second part of the first game.

More importantly, the second game is phenomenally disappointing. My friend and I loved the first one, and eventually ponied up for the sequel, and it is just lame. I'll avoid spoilers, but it is sort of a soft reboot of the first game, only without the charm and mystery. Even the graphics are inferior.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I got this for free when I ordered the 2nd part of Castle of the Winds from Epic Games in 1997.

Good times.

:Flash:

Arcane
Everyone is right.

The shareware version ends on a cliffhanger. Registration provides a second episode (Solar Winds: Galaxy or Solar Winds: Universe), but this also ends on a cliffhanger, albeit a lesser one. Confusingly, unlike with other contemporaneous shareware, these episodes are separate games and the latter one is sometimes billed as a sequel (i.e., Solar Winds 2) rather than as a second part of the first game.

More importantly, the second game is phenomenally disappointing. My friend and I loved the first one, and eventually ponied up for the sequel, and it is just lame. I'll avoid spoilers, but it is sort of a soft reboot of the first game, only without the charm and mystery. Even the graphics are inferior.
I played through both Solar Winds: The Escape and Solar Winds: Universe, and yes, Universe is the non-shareware part of the game.
But AFAIR the graphics and the mechanics were exactly the same in both parts. Only the story was different. As you would expect from different episodes of the same shareware game.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
The engine is the same (or at least very similar) but the new content is lower quality. The structure of missions, new ship designs, dialogue, etc., and where content is reused it diminishes the sense of exploration. Albeit that is my memory from many years ago.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom