Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Dorateen

Arcane
New post about the making of their animated trailer, and how it relates to gameplay:

https://www.solasta-game.com/news/4-animated-trailer-peeking-behind-the-curtains

So, what do we have?

• Characters? Check.
  • Environment? Check.
  • Bridge breaking down? Destructible Environment.
  • Falling into a Spider Den? Verticality.
  • Banter between characters? Team-based adventure.
  • Spiders skirting around the party? Light sensitivity from certain monsters.
  • A party of four getting manhandled by a single orc? That's just D&D!

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
I'm hyped, small party size aside they keep what works and try to improve on something that can be improved, it can be overdone but in theory more interesting environments during fights is something that could have improved the games I like.

getter77

Augur
Hopeful for this---would be far from the worst thing in the world if this incidentally wound up being something roughly in line with a 5e spiritual successor to D&D Tactics, or something wholly unique or outright superior unto itself.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
https://www.solasta-game.com/news/5-solasta-demo-will-be-available-at-gen-con-2019

SOLASTA DEMO WILL BE AVAILABLE AT GEN CON 2019!

You said "We want to see more Gameplay!", we answered "We will do that and more, there will be a demo!". You said "When?" and we answered "Soon!". How soon you may ask? Well... What about... One month from now?

That's right, Tactical Adventures will be at Gen Con 2019 August 1-4 2019, Indiana Convention Center: Hall B, with a Pre-Alpha Demo - which everyone will be able to play at our booth! For those who won't be at Gen Con, worry not - we're still planning on having the Demo available to everyone at a later date!

CIhgXXJ5XY6Sn4e4FwcS1iZWyukMP42GKNjpc8KH.jpeg

What will our four heroes find in these ruins?

More Information:
Where to find us:

8W0jMOSMQPlOQqpEXLEuWF8urpBRMoFZe1w2osa7.png

You will be there? Great! Drop us a word on Discord!

Incendax

Augur
Is 5th Editon also OGL? Why not use the 3.5 one, though?
Nobody likes 3.5. Either go 5th, or all the way back to 1-2.
I like 3.5. It's not 1, but still good.
Let me know when you finish adding up all your synergy bonuses, enhancement bonuses, alchemical bonuses, armor bonus, circumstance modifier, competence modifier, deflection bonus, dodge bonus, insight bonus, luck modifier, morale modifier, natural armor bonus, profane modifier, racial bonus, resistance bonus, sacred modifier, shield bonus, and any size modifiers that may apply.

Fucking masochist.

Dorateen

Arcane
New developer log:

Hey there folks, today's something a little different for you! How does an idea comes to life? What comes before a fully manned studio? I'll be leaving the stage to our Creative Director (and CEO), who will be answering all these questions and more, writing about the genesis of the Solasta project.

Hi everyone,

First of all, we are very happy and excited about our official announcement. It always feels great to come clean and tell everyone about what you have been working on for so long. Thanks a lot for all your kind words and genuine interest in the project. It means a lot to us. We have been eagerly reading all your comments on our various community channels. We love getting involved in those topics, but we see a lot of questions asked already; some of which we will try to answer in the coming weeks / months.

On a personal note, I am delighted about revealing our game. This project has been an old dream for me. I have developed and released 11 games in the past 20 years with many different genres and platforms, and making a tactical RPG brings me back to the early 90s and the Gold Box series of games.

cSE5ghzrSRClpjMg0cVzBH4i9gKawoBxN53WnTHn.jpeg

Gold Box is a series of CRPGs based on AD&D, produced by SSI (image from Luzur, RPG Codex)

I worked on Solasta (before it was even called that!) in my “garage” for quite some time before starting this new company. I started by building a database of rules, character races, classes and powers. Then, I built a character generator. After that I made a first dungeon, a combat system, a magic system... all that leading to a first minimum viable prototype. We are still building on top of this prototype (the architecture was thankfully pretty sound), and it has been playable for about a year now.

With a prototype in hand, more people started to be interested and believe in the project: future potential partners, employees, investors... It may be hard to believe, but when you start a new company - even with a good track record - you still have to prove what you are claiming. Bouncing this creative vision and prototype on the new team members, early testers, etc, also helped us clarify and finalize the vision of the game we are making.

1SeBwTPSpPeBJHNKa7orLEZmdzUgtWE9CAQ4nCmQ.jpeg

Brave Baern taking on 4 skeletons on his own while his companion is taking a nap, very early "minimum viable" prototype

I have been very lucky with the team members who joined Tactical Adventures. Both talented and experienced people, many of them playing tabletop RPG on a regular basis. We are a small studio of 15 people, and it sometimes feels weird to claim we are making a CPRG of such a size. But a team of talented and motivated people can do wonders, and we also have the support of excellent partners who greatly complement us.

3SOgHmW4gEsNBiFlPRMh34WP9hyWyMG1i5MfaLhs.jpeg

Even our carpet design is based a Battle Grid, we just need to roll initiative and we're ready to go

After the team was hired and got settled in our new office in downtown Paris, we have started building on my initial prototype, adding real art, features, and game content. We have already performed first playtest this winter, and learned a lot from our first players. Obviously, I can’t wait to get such feedback from you, and as explained in our Dev Diary Video we are working on a demo for you to get your hands on. As you imagine, our final game will offer a full storyline and campaign, which will introduce the original universe of Solasta. In order not to spoil all that, the demo is built specifically to put our Key Pillars to the test, and will feature a hand-crafted level that will not be part of the campaign.

As you may have guessed, we will have a busy summer working on that demo. We will also be touring on several Conventions, starting with Gen Con in Indianapolis. Obviously we will not go there just to show our good looks, we will have some cool stuff to boot: an early glimpse of the demo which we'll release later on.

IOZbrsR3zqrjWlAeeRvzOTdphPhgSNQqgH49EFUU.png

We've polished the entrance of the Demo Level, time to play Spot the Differences!

Thanks for your attention. Stay tuned for more updates this summer!

Cheers,

Archimath

making a tactical RPG brings me back to the early 90s and the Gold Box series of games.

Yes!

Luzur

The developers used one of your images from Codex showcasing the Gold Box games, and gave you credit.

Luzur

Good Sir
Better be a fucking finger-licking good game now that they claim to be Goldbox grandmasters thanks to me.

BETTER BE

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

DEV DIARY #1 - 5E REACTION SYSTEM
12 JULY 2019
SHARE ON: |
NEWS LIST
Hey there folks! Today we'll have our Gameplay Director Zaz give you a bit of insight on the Game Design side of things. If you want to know how we at Tactical Adventures are adapting D&D OGL 5e into video game rules, you're at the right place!

Hello fellow adventurers,

Here’s the first of a series of game design articles where we will be sharing some of our ideas, decisions, questions and philosophy with you. As you may already know, it's not always easy to adapt a Pen & Paper rules to PC. Sometimes though, it can be surprising how the rules of the 5th edition naturally fit into a video game system.

HmwjIuEq73TkUjp9tJs3vMaL2VgqS7pHauB9gPM3.png

What happens when the Mage goes in front of the Rogue? Trap happens.

Today we'll take a look at the reaction system, introduced in the 5th edition. It is a great feature and helps to add variety in combat, to provide cool moments and finally let you fully exploit specific spells like Shield or Feather Fall. Would you know, these were actually one of the first features we showcased in our early prototype! Now, we can’t wait to play with Counterspell - that's going to be quite something.

But reactions are not only used for spells - and if you're a fighter or a rogue, you'll be wanting to dish out opportunity attacks. Say you build an AI that only focuses on efficiency, you may never get one since the enemy might never walk out of attack range. That... would be a bit sad, wouldn't it? We want the AI in Solasta to not always do the most optimal action. They might simply get too scared to stay and try to escape, or decide on a whim that they have a more important enemy to attack than the one facing them, thus taking the risk of receiving an opportunity attack. Which is fine, as long as is doesn’t look stupid. But if we start talking about AI we won't ever be done, so we'll save it for another article - there’s plenty to say about it.

HYUGrjTfIPJLK3jK9MrgI93TpD4qAt1dJAZT3C2T.png

Looks like Violet is having a really bad day, first a Pitfall Trap and now Spiders...

We also have reactions that naturally work very well with a cell-based tactical game, like the Protection Fighting Style which allows you to impose disadvantage on an attack roll targeting an ally next to you. We liked the system so much that we added new reactions in our custom Solastan archetypes, and we’re still working on cool ways to use the reaction feature extensively so that smart players can optimize their efficiency by putting their characters in situations where reactions will be triggered.

Please note that while we like to give the player some time to think about whether to use their reaction or not, they still have a limited time window to make their decision. For something like an opportunity attack, you might think there’s no way you’re not going to take the reaction, so why are we not making automatic? Well... For instances where the reaction consumes a spell slot, you might want to think about it…for a few seconds. That’s why we have a countdown so you can take your time to decide, but not too much. Once the sandglass is empty, the reaction is cancelled, pure and simple.

SlwWCL8WuiUSMaCLwSTyk4AD2rOq1h6IgDfhtZd3.jpeg

The system also works for decisions you take after certain conditions are met, such as Divine Smite

This is it for today, we hope you enjoy reading our train of thoughts! Don’t hesitate to toss in some comments and ideas.

Best,

Zaz

Last edited:

Mortmal

Arcane
Sounds great and pure incline, apparently they are able to use those mechanics "not working so good in a video game".

Lawntoilet

Prophet
Patron
This game keeps looking better and better.
Seems like it's being made by guys who actually enjoy 5e D&D, and RPGs in general.
This game will be much better than BG3, mark my words (and if I'm wrong, mock my words).

I hope they implement lots of subclasses and some of the extra sourcebooks' cool spells.

Last edited by a moderator:

ArchAngel

Arcane
This game keeps looking better and better.
Seems like it's being made by guys who actually enjoy 5e D&D, and RPGs in general.
This game will be much better than BG3, mark my words (and if I'm wrong, mock my words).

I hope they implement lots of subclasses and some of the extra sourcebooks' cool spells.
:updatedmytxt:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
So it turns out Myzzrym has been Tactical Adventures' community manager this entire time! Let's ask him questions.

Myzzrym, is this game going to be all about traversing brown-colored vertical dungeons or is the area we saw in the video just a kind of prototype for the type of gameplay you're aiming for?

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Hey folks, I've been lurking around to read the feedback so far but I got busted by Infinitron.

For your questions about the levels and all, it's going to be a lot of dungeon delving so you'll spend quite a bit of time underground, but:
- Dungeon environment will be based on different biomes, it's not just "here, eat some dungeon tiles and go play with orcs". Reason we aren't showing much of those biomes is that when we did show the concept arts to our playtesters, they thought the game would be an open world RPG like The Witcher, Dark Souls or Monster Hunter (which is definitely not the case).
- There will be exterior as well, as can be seen in some of the more recent Gen Con screenshots. Here we worked a bit on the skybox since last time:

JD5QjWtiq9cUz2ZgcvwOHPESKU3CIlCN3by3PYTu.png

Also I must be quite retarded because I looked everywhere and I still don't know the requirements to use the reactions. I just want to brofist people, man.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom