Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

whydoibother

Arcane
Patron
Codex Year of the Donut
https://www.pcgamer.com/this-rpgs-dungeon-builder-is-neverwinter-nights-meets-super-mario-maker/
This RPG's dungeon builder is Neverwinter Nights meets Super Mario Maker

doubt.jpg
How complex are the dialogue trees, how easy is it to set up simple scripts like "if chest open, pause game, spawn NPC, NPC runs through door, start dialogue when reaches player, address player based on past quest outcome" and such?
Of all the modding and gamedev tools, the ones of Neverwinter Nights and Warcraft III were the best balance of easy-to-use and powerful enough to create good stuff. I would be amazed if this gets close to them.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
OMG. I just casted lightning bolt into a stone pillar and the stone pillar fell, killing the guy on top of it. Solasta environmental iterations are 10/10.

I can't wait till I can see the new tier 4 spells which would be heightened to tier 5(shock arcanist). BTW, I loved each homebrew SUB class in Solasta. I wanted to see more homebrew spells from Solasta devs. Mostly for conjuration, necromancy and illusion, subschools that are awful in 5e.

Official adaptions or modded into another game kinda deal? Either would be pretty cool.

I would prefer a solasta style adaptation. Anyway, We spended years and years with ZERO good CRPG's and now, in a single year, we have 2 amazing to play. One for those who enjoy mostly 5e and low level and other for more old school 3.75e fans with high level content. Both not only being good as the old ones but also bringing new things(mythic paths and the environmental interations on solasta)

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
doubt.jpg
How complex are the dialogue trees, how easy is it to set up simple scripts like "if chest open, pause game, spawn NPC, NPC runs through door, start dialogue when reaches player, address player based on past quest outcome" and such?
Of all the modding and gamedev tools, the ones of Neverwinter Nights and Warcraft III were the best balance of easy-to-use and powerful enough to create good stuff. I would be amazed if this gets close to them.
Right now, you can pick rooms with a standard layout to build a dungeon and add monsters, traps, and decorations to those rooms. No dialogues trees, no scripts, no global variables.

how much of the beginning of the game is going to change? I guess what I am asking is, if I buy the game now and start playing a little is the entire game going to change again by the time it releases, or is the start of the game pretty much set? I play games really slow, so I am not likely to get very far even if I start playing.

Bara

Arcane
Likely just polish and improvements. I pretty certain all the quests and content we'll see in act 1 is in EA now especially with the background side quests in game now.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
Bought the game on GoG the other day due to their sale. Anything I need to know?

It's pretty self-explanatory as you go. Feats are rather a waste of time, the stat choice is always better - bar the feat that gives your magic users concentration in battle (which has a stat gate IIRC) and a couple of others (you'll spot them). Ranger and Paladin are a bit OP. But really you can follow your nose with your builds and build to taste and rp flavour, and it'll be fine (though tbh I haven't tried the game since the difficulty sliders were implemented, it might be more necessary to min-max as you push the diff up, as is usual with these types of games - previously, the "difficulty slider" was gimping yourself with point buy, versus hitting that re-roll button till you create a monster, to make the game easy).

Sergiu64

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
It's pretty self-explanatory as you go. Feats are rather a waste of time, the stat choice is always better - bar the feat that gives your magic users concentration in battle (which has a stat gate IIRC) and a couple of others (you'll spot them). Ranger and Paladin are a bit OP. But really you can follow your nose with your builds and build to taste and rp flavour, and it'll be fine (though tbh I haven't tried the game since the difficulty sliders were implemented, it might be more necessary to min-max as you push the diff up, as is usual with these types of games - previously, the "difficulty slider" was gimping yourself with point buy, versus hitting that re-roll button till you create a monster, to make the game easy).

Really? I keep hearing rangers suck in 5e. Did these guys do something different with them?

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Really? I keep hearing rangers suck in 5e. Did these guys do something different with them?

Yeah, it's quite strong in the game so far (although that might just be partly an artifact of the accident that there are a lot of Undead towards the end of the early access chunk, and the Ranger does well with them if he has them as Favoured Enemy). Either two weapon fighting or bow is good.

Not sure if the devs did anything special, might just be a quirk relating to the difference between tabletop and a CRPG.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
MMO Ranger/Hunters tend not to be the sharpest tools in the shed so when they try to bring that one dimensional skill set to cRPGs the fit with the more subtle appeal of traditional Rangers isn’t the greatest.

From the days of ganking Gold Box giants Rangers have always rewarded those with the patience to unlock their varied secrets. I’d be surprised were 5E an exception.

nyjsu

Educated
Patron
I helped put crap in Monomyth
This game captures the positive aspects of 5e better than any official content made by wotc, the devs clearly understand what the current edition does well. It has actually inspired me to delve into 5e again after being utterly bored by it as a DM. Good job.

Think I'll finally jump on this. Had been planning to wait for release, but the 20% off sale and the price raising tomorrow is twisting my arm since odds are I'll want it around launch regardless. Kinda sucks to have BG3, Solasta, Wrath of the Righteous, and soon the Generation Ship RPG all preordered and in early access while I jerk off from the sidelines, but on the bright side there are a bunch of games I'm looking forward to.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
No Barbarians. Yet.

Are Barbarians a confirmed class in the game?

Sadly the unique new class coming is sorc... They could at least create a fighter sublcass with more barbarian flavor(like green mage is a wizard with some druid stuff, it doesn't replace a druid but is better than nothing for druid fans). There are 9 subclasses for clerics and fighters only has 3.

I keep hearing rangers suck in 5e. Did these guys do something different with them?

Rangers on Solasta has a lot of cool subclasses. Marksman can "react at distance", has "anti stealth abilities". Solasta lacks classes, but in compensation their subclasses are amazing well crafted.

Last edited:

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
Pre-Spring Update characters / saves aren't compatible with the Spring Update version. Should be the only time that happens though.

Larianshill

Arbiter
I see. Well, I wanted to experiment with character voices anyway. So far, the results are disappointing - I made four characters with high Formal score, and they're still calling the ale donkey piss.

Codex Year of the Donut
I see. Well, I wanted to experiment with character voices anyway. So far, the results are disappointing - I made four characters with high Formal score, and they're still calling the ale donkey piss.
iirc(it has been months since I played):
The way characters talk is determined by their personality. I think there was a major one and a minor one or something?

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Maybe it's literally donkey piss and they're just being very rigorous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom