Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Should I have explored the goblin caves before proceeding into the fort? Didn't expect what happens when I met the survivors.
It's not mandatory and the game has random encounters so it's not like you'll fall short on XP either. And you didn't miss out on any important items. If anything all you missed out on was a fun encounter, but you can always go back and replay it on a later time.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
  • A Cataclysm
  • A world without Gods pre cata, now with Gods and having to adapt to it
  • Humans being the outsiders and elves the native species.
  • Manlet races enslaved
  • Tensions between Masgarth and other principalities.
  • Mysterious artifacts with mysterious proprieties.
  • Badlands devastated by a rift with who knows what secrets and artifacts
Solasta now seems very interesting. Much more interesting than the "generic sword coast adventure but in other world due IP concerns" that I was thinking. The sub classes are also very interesting, now only on mechanic, but also in lore. Solasta surprised me in every aspect.

Last edited:

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
First time the writers told me that elves of Solasta were turbo-racists that used to their mastery of magic to enslave everyone in the past I also lifted an eyebrow lol.

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
First time the writers told me that elves of Solasta were turbo-racists that used to their mastery of magic to enslave everyone in the past I also lifted an eyebrow lol.
What? It's the most common thing. Were there ever elves who are not narcissistic supremacists.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Please tell your writers that giving reasons to wipe out elves is nice, but unnecessary. They will be purged nonetheless. :flamesaw:

Myzzrym

Tactical Adventures
Patron
Developer
What? It's the most common thing. Were there ever elves who are not narcissistic supremacists.

I mean sure, but usually they keep to themselves and are just snobs who don't like to mingle with others. Enslaving others isn't something you usually expect from elves.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria

I mean sure, but usually they keep to themselves and are just snobs who don't like to mingle with others. Enslaving others isn't something you usually expect from elves.
Some settings have dark elves or similar for that and in Deathgate elves keep slaves in 2 out of 3 worlds they exist, but isolationist snob is the more common archetype.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Were there ever elves who are not narcissistic supremacists.

Elves on most settings are narcisistics but they stay on their elven towns doing elven stuff, they usually don't wanna enslave others.

Enslaving others isn't something you usually expect from elves.

On Glantri(Mystara), you have some elves doing it but Glantri magocracy is mostly human. Dark Elves in underdark also practice slavery. BTW, on Glantri, manlet races that can't use magic are less than animals.

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron

Some settings have dark elves or similar for that and in Deathgate elves keep slaves in 2 out of 3 worlds they exist, but isolationist snob is the more common archetype.
So the only difference is that Solastian elves actually had the guts to do what all the evles want!

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
manlet races

Dude, in D&D (of which you have so vast knowledge) the elves are the manlets - shorter, lighter, thinner - version of humans.
And the dwarves are broad-shouldered lower-gravity-centered muscle-chested chads.
Learn the difference, don't make yourself a fool again.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Dude, in D&D (of which you have so vast knowledge) the elves are the manlets - shorter, lighter, thinner - version of humans.

Elves are on average 5 feet tall which is a feet bellow manlet levels. Dwarves are 4 feet tall which is 2 feet bellow manlet levels. Big difference. Also, some elves aren't manlets but all dwarves are. And elves can learn how to cast enlarge person + permanency, curing the 99% of male manlets of their manletism.

Hobits halflings are the worst "manlet race"

Elex

Arbiter
I am actually have some problem thinking about a setting with no slaver elves.
generally is always the drow/dark variant, but sometime is the high variant be the slaver.

Codex Year of the Donut

Elves are on average 5 feet tall which is a feet bellow manlet levels. Dwarves are 4 feet tall which is 2 feet bellow manlet levels. Big difference. Also, some elves aren't manlets but all dwarves are. And elves can learn how to cast enlarge person + permanency, curing the 99% of male manlets of their manletism.

Hobits halflings are the worst "manlet race"
Heights are dependent upon the setting, I don't think Solasta has specified elf height anywhere.
generic Tolkien elves are about 6'6(two ranga) on average so unless stated otherwise it's safe to assume any generic fantasy elf is on the tall side

Mortmal

Arcane

Its "realistic", and not the only setting doing it, folks with high magic skills will rule kingdoms and enslave others, if they are stronger they will abuse their position of power . It make sense when worldbuilding . Elric of melnibone 's people really are close to elves, whole decadent civilization thriving on slavery . In primeval thule setting elves are slavers too depicted as cruel and decadent.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They live longer, has much more gorgeous females, are more intelligent(...) People only hate elves due envy.

Must be hard to be born a manlet with bearded females and no access to magic and seeing a blond, busty gorgeous elf that will be gorgeous looking for generations able to shape the reality with wish spell while you are stuck in a smelly mine with males and male looking "female" dwarf

Last edited:

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
yeah,elves were always fascists and racist. That is why they are the best to fuck!
T3QQ0Ty.jpg

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In

Its "realistic", and not the only setting doing it, folks with high magic skills will rule kingdoms and enslave others, if they are stronger they will abuse their position of power . It make sense when worldbuilding . Elric of melnibone 's people really are close to elves, whole decadent civilization thriving on slavery . In primeval thule setting elves are slavers too depicted as cruel and decadent.

The problem with that is it's not "realistic." Slavery is highly inefficient as a means of sustaining a leisure class, the only reason it was widespread in the past for that purpose was because there was nothing better. In the real world, slavery fell out of use as soon as technology and industry improved. Also, free people who are working for themselves (understandably) work harder than slaves, so taxing hard-working people is always going to be more lucrative and sustainable than owning lazy malingerers in the long run.

If one substitutes "high magic" for "technology" one can see the nonsense in the idea.

Also, while it's certainly realistic that a high magic society would use its magic to maintain military dominance, it needn't necessarily be expansionist, it could be insular and only use its military might to ensure control over its own lands, and keep other groups in check (such was the case with the empire we call "China" - once the technologically superior Han had conquered the other local nations, they were done with expansionism, built a wall, and were satisfied with roughly the same territory for a thousand years).

Of course a high magic society might hold slaves if they're "just eebil" but in that case they're probably being used as a Nazi substitute by a lazy writer ;)

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
What the setting does is leave things open for a decent writer to take advantage of these interesting things. Too bad the number of decent writers is on a decline these days.

Mortmal

Arcane

The problem with that is it's not "realistic." Slavery is highly inefficient as a means of sustaining a leisure class, the only reason it was widespread in the past for that purpose was because there was nothing better. In the real world, slavery fell out of use as soon as technology and industry improved. Also, free people who are working for themselves (understandably) work harder than slaves, so taxing hard-working people is always going to be more lucrative and sustainable than owning lazy malingerers in the long run.

If one substitutes "high magic" for "technology" one can see the nonsense in the idea.

Also, while it's certainly realistic that a high magic society would use its magic to maintain military dominance, it needn't necessarily be expansionist, it could be insular and only use its military might to ensure control over its own lands, and keep other groups in check (such was the case with the empire we call "China" - once the technologically superior Han had conquered the other local nations, they were done with expansionism, built a wall, and were satisfied with roughly the same territory for a thousand years).

Of course a high magic society might hold slaves if they're "just eebil" but in that case they're probably being used as a Nazi substitute by a lazy writer ;)

Nothing in the spellbooks really help to plow the fields . Many spells are combat oriented. Sure you could use golems in your factory but thats certainly more costly , or you could use undeads but that's disgusting. Also its yet to determine how expensive it is to cast spells , reagents and such when widely used, then how many can really cast high level spells . I think slavery is convenient and they still dont have better even in that fantasy economy. They are just a martial roman empire like , enhanced by combat magic.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom