Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Advertisement , the more it sell , the better it is for everyone

I get, but why not give it to youtubers? There are a lot of 5E youtubers, XP to level 3, Critical Role, etc;
There's no point in giving early keys to youtubers who will just stream the game upon release anyway.

Mortmal

Arcane
Nope , there's nothing obvious about kickstarters , while everything goes right with solasta , you have realm beyonds at the same price which is everything goes wrong . Let me see , they are super late already on delivery( theorical now)barely any communication with backers, ceo went awol for 6months and they were ok with it. The amount of dumbfuckery is insane , they are almost bankrupt and they stole my money.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
realm beyonds

That sucks to hear it's such a mess. I haven't followed it too closely, but I absolutely love the look of it

ss_a90bbe0cdf97341381e701edd7a15cba06b9ee52.1920x1080.jpg

Beautiful style.

V_K

Arcane
there's nothing obvious about kickstarters , while everything goes right with solasta , you have realm beyonds at the same price which is everything goes wrong
Nope. I don't want to beat on RB, but their kickstarter was very clearly overambitious, promising everything but the kitchen sink. Solasta's pitch was the opposite of that - it hammered the game's main selling points (verticality and 5e), but was very realistic about the game's scope and transparent about its limitations. It was very clear which of the two games had (much) higher chances to get to release.

Mortmal

Arcane
Ceres had experienced devs , working on albion , that was a great rpg in it's time , they had some credentials, that sounded possible. But they set the kickstarter funding bar very low knowing it was not nearly enough ,with no extra funding , their biggest flaw ,unethical business.
Solasta pitch on the other hand was realistic indeed and i have the feeling they deliver more than what they promise...It's a rather epic 40 hours rpg improving upon the classics.

pm_675

Arbiter
there's nothing obvious about kickstarters , while everything goes right with solasta , you have realm beyonds at the same price which is everything goes wrong
Nope. I don't want to beat on RB, but their kickstarter was very clearly overambitious, promising everything but the kitchen sink. Solasta's pitch was the opposite of that - it hammered the game's main selling points (verticality and 5e), but was very realistic about the game's scope and transparent about its limitations. It was very clear which of the two games had (much) higher chances to get to release.

Pretty much. Tactical Adventures was always very clear with the scope of the game and their own limitations.

Also, Mathieu Girard was a experienced, senior developer and former CEO and founder of Amplitude Studios. He did have the the experience to deliver an actual product unlike a bunch of "developers". Who may be very good at creating a game but not necessarily running a business. Plus I enjoyed Endless Space and Legend.

And now to play the game. Before early access buyers

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron

Pretty much. Tactical Adventures was always very clear with the scope of the game and their own limitations.

Also, Mathieu Girard was a experienced, senior developer and former CEO and founder of Amplitude Studios. He did have the the experience to deliver an actual product unlike a bunch of "developers". Who may be very good at creating a game but not necessarily running a business. Plus I enjoyed Endless Space and Legend.

And now to play the game. Before early access buyers
Probably jumped ship before Humankind rears its ugly head. That upcoming game is a prime example in: Absolutely wrong lesson learned from previous encounters.

Bara

Arcane
Welp as I'm one of the ones that have to wait till the 27th if some one gets to the end of the game in the days before then let me know if the ending is satisfying enough while leaving threads open or hard cliffhanger that'll need a sequel to resolve.

Don't need detailed spoilers just want to set my expectations accordingly.

Really cool they're letting Kickstarter backers in early. Shame I don't have my greasy hands on it but it's nice that Kickstarter backers are actually getting a nice perk rather than having keys show up later than the game goes on sale and generally getting shit on which seems like the norm.

DemonKing

Arcane
Sweet...will give this a whirl shortly.

Great kickstarter - demo from Day 1, lots of regular info. updates and an early access version that was also updated frequently.

Should be a model for doing a Kickstarter CRPG right.

Jinn

Arcane
So does anyone know if we'll miss out on anything if we start the Early Access now, then continue on when it fully releases? Like, do they need to implement anything else into the opening chapter(s) or is it "content complete" until you get to a certain point?

Last edited:

DemonKing

Arcane
So does anyone know if we'll miss out on anything if we start the Early Access now, then continue on when it fully releases? Like, do they need to implement anything else into the opening chapter(s) or is it "content complete" until you get to a certain point?

My reading is that it is the final game (essentially the review build) so you could potentially finish it prior to the 1.0 release - and if not, it's fully compatible with version 1.0 as far as saves go.

Jinn

Arcane
My reading is that it is the final game (essentially the review build) so you could potentially finish it prior to the 1.0 release - and if not, it's fully compatible with version 1.0 as far as saves go.

Ah, I actually meant the base Early Access build. I wasn't actually a kickstarter backer, and don't even own the game yet. But if I could start it in earnest without worrying about missing anything, I'd probably buy it now.

EDIT: Oh shit, just read on the early access rundown that they're planning on adding more sidequests into the final version. Guess I'll just have to wait, because I'm assuming that includes Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2

Thonius

Arcane

Ah, I actually meant the base Early Access build. I wasn't actually a kickstarter backer, and don't even own the game yet. But if I could start it in earnest without worrying about missing anything, I'd probably buy it now.

EDIT: Oh shit, just read on the early access rundown that they're planning on adding more sidequests into the final version. Guess I'll just have to wait, because I'm assuming that includes Act 1 and the beginning of Act 2
Read Kickstarter letter. EA - is like 10h long. Backers got access to the full content full version but it may be bugged. Save files compatible. EA on steam != baker acess.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom