Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Honestly, I wanna see Eldritch Blast + repealing blast in a game with verticality. WLK is 5E is not bad. I mean, is a mix of 2E witch/warlock from complete wizard handbook and 3E from complete arcane.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
finished game, better than anticipated. Only the writing was kinda garbage, especially the dialogues reminded me too often of Oblivion "Radiant AI" NPC banter.
Writing is awful. Like aggressively awful, as in, machine translated chinese games have better dialogues, and 12 year old literature projects have more depth.

But wombat is fun and dnd is a good enough system and fairly well represented here. Its not 100%, but its close enough.

gurugeorge

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
finished game, better than anticipated. Only the writing was kinda garbage, especially the dialogues reminded me too often of Oblivion "Radiant AI" NPC banter.
Writing is awful. Like aggressively awful, as in, machine translated chinese games have better dialogues, and 12 year old literature projects have more depth.

But wombat is fun and dnd is a good enough system and fairly well represented here. Its not 100%, but its close enough.

I thought there were quite nice flashes of humour here and there in the writing (similar to the self-referential humour in Dungeons of Nahaelbuek), but on the whole, yeah, it's not the game's strong suit.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I threw up my hands and quit after meeting the dragon. There's bad writing, and then there's bad writing that's also in your (character's badly modelled) face.

Darth Canoli

Arcane
I threw up my hands and quit after meeting the dragon. There's bad writing, and then there's bad writing that's also in your (character's badly modelled) face.

I stopped after exploring the city with a level 1 party, 0xp.
The demo was mediocre but alright but i really wanted a city, now there's a city and I wish they didn't make one, what a waste of resources.
I'd go even further, the guy that designed this engine is a waste of oxygen.
The city is full of nothing but still long to explore and they know it because they had to add fast travel between points of interest.
It reminds me of Verbonosc from autistic Co8 Modders and it wouldn't surprise me if they were the ones committing that other crime or getting their inspiration from this garbage.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I saw your achievements on Steam, VentilatorOfDoom! Agree that the writing in Solasta is often laughably bad (holy fuck that first Legacy Council meeting), although I'm finding the personality-based party banter to be fun.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
The writing wasn't entirely bad:

k2pLxXh.jpg

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I started a campaign and so far I'm enjoying it. The writing is not particularly good, but I do actually like the dialogue system itself. The city you start in is very bland and empty, which is unfortunate.

Combat is great. I enjoy how it implements the various skills and spells of D&D. My mage often casts non-offensive spells like jump and featherfall, I find myself actually using ranged weapons on front line fighters when necessary, I actually need healing potions and other expendables, etc.

Anyway, nothing too bad to say about it. Party creation involves some tough decisions, given you only get 4 choices. I went with an all good party: Paladin, Barbarian, Rogue, and Wizard. Might have to do an evil playthrough if the game captures my attention long enough.

vazha

Arcane
Oh no, Aksha's gonna give you right good hammering if you re playing on cataclysm without a cleric in your party.

Agesilaus

Antiquity Studio
Patron
Developer
Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't know who that is, but I have a Paladin so it's all good. Between smite and my Barbarian doing massive rage damage, I think I have all bases covered.

jackofshadows

Magister
On cataclysm? Then I suppose I just suck and gotta git gud.
I guess it's easy if you have cleric/pal. I didn't have neither so it was a challenge for my figther/rogue/mage/ranger party. Had to retreat on 4th lvl and get back on 5th. Guiding orb (or lightning, cantrip mage's spell) saved the day. The thing about this encounter is that her anime-powers are rng-dependent so you can just try it some more. Kite her and don't let to stay in the darkness, obviously in addition to highlighting her at all times. As far as I remember I just focused and mowed down her, while ignoring her adds. Cata gives her a lot of thiccness and that allows her to regen at least some amount of hp no matter what compared to lower diff where she could be basically one-shotted.

vazha

Arcane
Not only that, it also imposes disadvantage on the attacker if she goes for the one (usually a squishie) who cast it. This helps a lot too.

I got gud, chill touch helped enormously, as it removed the risk to kite the bitch to lighted areas. also I have to mention that had i not been hoarding materials like I am prone to and created a few magic weapons (esp radiant), the fight would have been far easier. Still the best fight so far - I saw people moaning about the later vamp on steam - that one is a breeze once you've get the know-how with Aksha.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Too bad Aksha is the best encounter in the whole game and it only goes downhill from there.
There are a couple of other good fights in the late-game:

the green dragon can be challenging, especially if you go there before dealing with the orcs. The arena fights before the fake dragon are great, not because they are super challenging, but because you face large groups of enemies and can really experiment with all the cool spells you have.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Too bad Aksha is the best encounter in the whole game and it only goes downhill from there.

the green dragon can be challenging, especially if you go there before dealing with the orcs. The arena fights before the fake dragon are great, not because they are super challenging, but because you face large groups of enemies and can really experiment with all the cool spells you have.
At least some people have the willpower to trudge through the game in order to see these two fights ;d

Nortar

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath

Aye, there are a few more decent encounters.
Still Aksha is the highest point of the game in terms of tactical challenge.
The location, her abilities, the party level, it all just clicks in perfectly.
If only the rest of the game could keep up with that standard.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom