Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Lambach

Arcane
Is this an actual proper full release, or the kind of a "full release" Pathfinder was, where they took ~6 months to patch it into an actually enjoyable state? In other words, is it worth getting now, or do I wait another couple of months for other people to beta test it for me?

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Well, when I did analysis of 4E and 5E and compared it to previous RPG systems. I found the old RPG systems were made by people who wanted to at least partially simulate. 4E was made by a company that wanted to sell theirs own fully owned copyrighted product. And 5E went back from the idea of product, but still continues the various mistakes. (Also they simplified combat to "social game" instead of at least partially dice based simulation.)

Game about elves dwarves and others stuff is based on genetics, genetically different behaviour, population dynamics. And stuff like that is today viewed by western society as a racism, sexism, misogyny. But 50-20 years ago, population dynamic, overpopulation by fast breeding species, fight for land space, that was a normal theme of most writers. Some more powerful creatures kept to themselves because isolation is better than genocide. (of others in self-defense) It made a lot of sense, allowing few peasants to get theirs hand on orb of doom with ease, isn't the greatest idea.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
my god is 5th edition bad. game would be so much better with 3.5/pathfinder ruleset.

Even though I haven't played BG3 yet, I'm guessing that is why Larian is using a mixed D:OS/5E combat system due to this very issue/limitation.

Except that Larian is making 5E worse, Tactical Adventures, better. Seriously. Larian can't even make firebolt right.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
5E is solid. It has flaws but at least it's D7D unliek the abomination that was 4E. 4E is the ONLY eidition I have NEVER bought a bullshitz book for. FUCK THAT SHIT.

Is this an actual proper full release, or the kind of a "full release" Pathfinder was, where they took ~6 months to patch it into an actually enjoyable state? In other words, is it worth getting now, or do I wait another couple of months for other people to beta test it for me?
It's quite barebones and lackluster. I think this game will go the way of NWN - people will come to cherish it for the sake of creating and enjoying custom stuff. The OC is definitely just a showcase of potential.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
BTW, roll 4D6 keep three best rolls resulted in: 11 9 9 9 9 4. I have no idea how you can legally roll this without horrible number of attempts. IIRC rolling 4 on 4D6 keep 3 has chance of 1/324.

Rieser

Scholar
Solasta has some good potential
Hmmm i don't think so,the core rules are far too mediocre and dumbed down,it lacks complexity of 3.5 or pathfinder. Far too simple.
Is it better than BG3?

What kind of a question is that? The shit I took this morning was better than D:OS 3, and so is Solasta. The biggest problem with Solasta is the fact that it uses the dumbfuck system that is D&D 5e. Sure, 5e is not as bad as 4e, but then again neither is HIV. Unlike D:OS 3, Solasta does the most of its ruleset, however.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Solasta has some good potential
Hmmm i don't think so,the core rules are far too mediocre and dumbed down,it lacks complexity of 3.5 or pathfinder. Far too simple.
Is it better than BG3?
Have no idea,bg3 is not out. But from what i have played in bg3,the combat is more tactical in bg3 if you ignore the barrels,tho i played a few hours only. To be honest both games don't impress me,i am looking forward to other ones.

Fucking hell. I SWEAR THE GAME KNOWS I KEEP CALLING THE WIZARD THE BIMBO NOW AND IT'S PLAYING ALONG!

F245D51DE2F8104210DB2431DF70D87805E2AC30

Lizard wizard geeked on my second attempt. First wipe was definitely due to running out half-cocked, coming at it with a rested party and using that little niche on the side helped a lot. Also nailed the wizard with blind which helped a little, he still never missed with any of his spells but it gave advantage on some attacks against him at least.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Barebones general ruleset with home brew development based on setting/narrative is solid framework.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
If the modding tools and capabilities are sufficient. If the game attracts a big enough player base. If said players actually manage to churn out decent content.

Knowing modern day modding I have my doubts.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Correct me if I an wrong, but modding on Solasta is far more limited than modding on Aurora engine or KoTC2 engine. Right?

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative:
Oh gods.....those shitty sidequests. I have visited the first "dungeon" for a sixth time now,to do quests. And all the quests are...go to a place you have been,replay a battle then click on a quest item. Even Dragon Age 2 didn't reused their shit that much. Fuck the game is becoming painful to play. At this point it is the most disappointing rpg i have played in a long time,i had almost no expectations,yet it failed at that miserably.

It's quite barebones and lackluster. I think this game will go the way of NWN - people will come to cherish it for the sake of creating and enjoying custom stuff. The OC is definitely just a showcase of potential.
Hmm i doubt it,the core of the game is barebones. At the current point NWN is a lot better game than this thing. NWN does have a lot more complex and enjoyable levelling,here it is really bad,haven't seen a single goo feat,skills are a joke that you pick at the start and never again ....while half of them can't be even used in the game,posted a screenshot of it. I don't think it is possible to make a good mod in this game.

Lambach

Arcane
What do you guys mean by "barebones"? Is that as in, lacking features from D&D in terms of adaptation of the rules, or as in there's not a lot of interesting content to play through?

EDIT:
WN does have a lot more complex and enjoyable levelling,here it is really bad,haven't seen a single goo feat,skills are a joke that you pick at the start and never again ....while half of them can't be even used in the game,posted a screenshot of it

Ah, so it's the former. Shame, shitty Quests and OC could've been fixed in theory by modders by creating new Campaigns, but if the core stuff is missing, that' probably irreparable (specially if there's stuff that's hard-coded like it is in Bloodlines for example, completely disallowing modders from changing certain things).

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
What do you guys mean by "barebones"? Is that as in, lacking features from D&D in terms of adaptation of the rules, or as in there's not a lot of interesting content to play through?
Levelling is boring,archetypes are boring too,only 6 classes,only 4 people party,thus ending with small and repetitive encounters,the quests and the writing are beyond terrible.

Trithne

Erudite
Correct me if I an wrong, but modding on Solasta is far more limited than modding on Aurora engine or KoTC2 engine. Right?

It's Unity (of course), so yeah.

Assuming they didn't use IL2CPP, Unity is actually one of the most wildly moddable mainline engines out there thanks to Harmony and being able to inject any old code you want into it and hijack the game's method calls with them.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
my god is 5th edition bad. game would be so much better with 3.5/pathfinder ruleset.

I must admit, I do like some of the ideas in 5e. Bounded accuracy (attack and AC not growing dramatically), is not a terrible idea for instance as it prevents the exponential growth of both and makes bonuses to either very valuable.

Ability score caps and limited power growth within class are pretty cancerous though.

I understand what WOTC were trying to do with 5e, but they went way too far in curtailing character development options.

Also don't get me started on Pathfinder 2e, they took the worst parts of 5e and 3.5/Pathfinder 1e and combined them together. I hope Owlcat sticks to 1e.

Harthwain

Magister
BTW, roll 4D6 keep three best rolls resulted in: 11 9 9 9 9 4. I have no idea how you can legally roll this without horrible number of attempts. IIRC rolling 4 on 4D6 keep 3 has chance of 1/324.
Just because something has a very low chance of happening doesn't mean it's impossible. Or, in other words, anything that can happen will happen.

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Bounded accuracy (attack and AC not growing dramatically), is not a terrible idea for instance as it prevents the exponential growth of both and makes bonuses to either very valuable.

Well, bounded accuracy kinda makes a lv 1 ranger and a lv 20 ranger only different on +6 to hit. And the numbers on 3E aren't that high, I mean, 40 AC on end game is not that high. And on 2E, the numbers was smaller. Also, 5E suffers from "oblivion effect", you gain way more hp than damage. For example, from fireball to freezing spehre, a magic user grow from lv 5 to 11, from 8d6 damage to 10d6 damage, while his hp grow from 5d6 + con mod to 11d6 + con mod. The strongest spell which he can cast grow up only 2d6 while his hp grow up 6d6 + 6*con mod. His basic firebolt cantrip? Just +10 damage. On 2E, the same evoker from lv 5 to 11, would gain way more 3rd tier spell slots and his fireball will grow from 5d6 damage to 10d6 while his hp will grow up just 4d4 +3 and the con mod will be limited to +1. From fireball to freezing sphere, the maximum damage is 10d6 to 15d6, not even close to "exponential growth".

I hope Owlcat sticks to 1e.

Me too. Pf1e seems extremely better than 2e. But is not only up to then. Paizo could force then to make on 2E to get the license...

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
5E doesn't have limited build options, especially with Xanathar and Tasha. Solasta has the most barebones implementation of the system because it only has 6 classes and no multiclassing. On top of that, most of the subclasses are basically unusable or so far behind on power compared to the good ones that you don't want to use them.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also, 5E suffers from "oblivion effect", you gain way more hp than damage.

That's certainly true, but my post was more about attack and AC specifically. Bounded accuracy is good in one sense because it means that both enemies and players always have a chance of hitting each other despite wide gulfs in levels.

That means DMs can continue to use weaker enemies in encounters without them being total fodder.

I definitely agree with damage and health though. Pathfinder 2e makes the 5e problem even worse as it nerfs damage across the board whilst giving players and enemies more hp (players get full hit die on level up in PF 2e by default).

Saves, AC and attack bonuses also scale even higher in PF 2e than 1e because of the proficiency system. Save DCs on PF2e bestiary are insanely high because pretty much every class ends up with saves in the +30s without gear.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom