Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

ricolikesrice

Arcane
what i find funny is that they implement a pronoun button in character customization but unlike pretty much every other character customization editor in existance there is no bald / short hair option - despite this -unlike other hairstyles- not even requiring any/much effort to add ?

Hey Solasta devs, do bald men not have the right to exist such as your beloved mentally ill tranny freaks ? i realize that mean stare by a skinhead may have traumatized you for life but think of the lesbians and tyrones who also have clean shaven heads .... you also discriminate them (maybe make it impossible for characters to be white and bald )

V_K

Arcane
5E doesn't have limited build options, especially with Xanathar and Tasha. Solasta has the most barebones implementation of the system because it only has 6 classes and no multiclassing. On top of that, most of the subclasses are basically unusable or so far behind on power compared to the good ones that you don't want to use them.
Just a kind reminder:

hqdefault.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
what i find funny is that they implement a pronoun button in character customization but unlike pretty much every other character customization editor in existance there is no bald / short hair option - despite this -unlike other hairstyles- not even requiring any/much effort to add ?

Hey Solasta devs, do bald men not have the right to exist such as your beloved mentally ill tranny freaks ? i realize that mean stare by a skinhead may have traumatized you for life but think of the lesbians and tyrones who also have clean shaven heads .... you also discriminate them (maybe make it impossible for characters to be white and bald )

Maybe the follically challenged are wiped out in the Solasta universe to prevent them from expanding their numbers?

Which is interesting considering trannies are so welcome in that universe, especially since so many trannies IRL seem to rock the Benjamin Franklin look.

ricolikesrice

Arcane
its not just bald guys solasta discrimates again, i tried to make a thematical squad based on a real life example where 4 lawbringers of different races are trapped together in an evil conspirancy orchestrated by lizards ...

...... but not only is there a single haircut in solasta that remotely fits, they devs also dont seem to like asians

officers-hennepin-county-george-floyd.jpg

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Also one thing that is annoying me way more than it should, is anyone else getting mega clipping with dwarven beards?

I made a dwarf cleric and his beard seems to constantly move around his face. It's extremely distracting during conversations.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
5E doesn't have limited build options, especially with Xanathar and Tasha. Solasta has the most barebones implementation of the system because it only has 6 classes and no multiclassing. On top of that, most of the subclasses are basically unusable or so far behind on power compared to the good ones that you don't want to use them.
Just a kind reminder:

hqdefault.jpg
Yeah, but KotC actually has good and challenging encounters to distract you.

what i find funny is that they implement a pronoun button in character customization but unlike pretty much every other character customization editor in existance there is no bald / short hair option
This bugs me too. I can't make one of my favorite characters the way I want to because of it.

Cnaiur

Augur
Somebody forgot to tell that to Baldur's Gate, one of the best D&D campaigns in a videogame I can think of.
Most 5E pre-written campaigns end at around lvl 10 too.

Temple of Elemental Evil was a low level campaign too, and its some of the best digital D&D.
That thing was a totall hidden gem.

Nothing hidden about it at time of release. And before it became a gem it had to be thoroughly cleansed of piles of shit.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Somebody forgot to tell that to Baldur's Gate, one of the best D&D campaigns in a videogame I can think of.
Most 5E pre-written campaigns end at around lvl 10 too.

Temple of Elemental Evil was a low level campaign too, and its some of the best digital D&D.
That thing was a totall hidden gem.

Nothing hidden about it at time of release. And before it became a gem it had to be thoroughly cleansed of piles of shit.

Yes, TOEE was awful at release. Completely mired with bugs and performance issues.

Took official patches and the CO8 patches to get it roughly stable.

Reinhardt

Arcane
No mindflayer spelljammer ship fighting dragon army on a lv 1~4 game like another game.
Yeah, instead you killed dragon on lvl 8. MANY LOW LEVEL D&D DONE RIGHT!
Glad to see you changed name but still good ol' Victor.
Solasta - AWESUM BUTTON! ME KILL DRAGON! GREAT GAEM!
BG3 - NO AWESUM BUTTON! CAN'T KILL GOBBO AND SPIDERS! HP BLOAT!

Last edited:

V_K

Arcane
It's not a real dragon though.
Did you asked their pronouns, bigot? Maybe they identify as one.
What I meant is
the dragon you fight is only a memory, and a fractured one at that. So it makes sense that it's easier to defeat than a proper dragon.
I thought it was a pretty good compromise - you get to fight an epic monster (as a late-game boss fight btw, not as a random encounter), but also a reasonable explanation to why you weren't outright obliterated by it.
After all, you've seen what Adrasteia and the other gal can do.

Larianshill

Arbiter
Oh man, in the late game we're strong enough to fight a fractured memory. Now that's a sense of progression!

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
BTW a 4 player level 8 group can actually kill an adult dragon in 5e.
6SVFQaZ.png

They are not supposed to as per 5e's own challenge rating system, but a moderatly well geared group can punch quite a bit above their weight. I'd say a group as well geared as the one in Solasta can pull their entire daily xp threshhold at once with full ressources, and win. So an adult and a young dragon at once would be a really deadly encounter for a lvl 8 Solasta group.
http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder

Reinhardt

Arcane
I thought it was a pretty good compromise - you get to fight an epic monster (as a late-game boss fight btw, not as a random encounter), but also a reasonable explanation to why you weren't outright obliterated by it.
Or your dragon is just sore loser and went "you just beat memory of me! it's not even my final form!" after being bitchlapped by lvl 8.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just a kind reminder:

hqdefault.jpg
Yeah, but KotC actually has good and challenging encounters to distract you.

what i find funny is that they implement a pronoun button in character customization but unlike pretty much every other character customization editor in existance there is no bald / short hair option
This bugs me too. I can't make one of my favorite characters the way I want to because of it.
Yes,no baldness is the worst thing about the game. It have like 15 haircust and all of them are for females and males.

It's not a real dragon though.
Did you asked their pronouns, bigot? Maybe they identify as one.
Ohhh please don't,spend the last 30 minutes listening to them bitching about muh slavery.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
6SVFQaZ.png

They are not supposed to as per 5e's own challenge rating system, but a moderatly well geared group can punch quite a bit above their weight. I'd say a group as well geared as the one in Solasta can pull their entire daily xp threshhold at once with full ressources, and win. So an adult and a young dragon at once would be a really deadly encounter for a lvl 8 Solasta group.
Yeah,it is very basic system compared to 3.5,back in bg games you had to use all kind of spells like breach to just be able to do some damage with spells. Now you just hit it till it dies,very boring.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Yeah,it is very basic system compared to 3.5,back in bg games you had to use all kind of spells like breach to just be able to do some damage with spells. Now you just hit it till it dies,very boring.

I don't really miss magical defense stacking, but I could do with immunity to magical weapons below +x coming back. It is really strange that you can't really intimidate players even with a monster that is way too high for them, because they could just kill it if they get the drop on it, due to bounded accuracy. The bad guys always have to travel with a pack off goons to disencourage fighting them.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
6SVFQaZ.png

Basic is unfortunately what WOTC were going for with 5e. That said, and I've mentioned this in other threads, 5e can be a useful gateway for getting people into 3.5 or Pathfinder.

Often 5e gives them the itch and 3.5 and PF provide the proper scratch.

V_K

Arcane
6SVFQaZ.png

The dragon you fight in Solasta is an adult green, so one CR higher, but hugely handicapped by being unable to move at all.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
"Yeah, instead you killed dragon on lvl 8. MANY LOW LEVEL D&D DONE RIGHT!"

Even in earlier editions, you can beat a dragon at level (or less). Depends on the age, depends on the circumstances, and depends on the party. It should be a challenge, though. If it is set up well it could work.

I remember one campaign, where I had a green dragon in the area demanding the villagers do the usual 'give me treasure/sacrifices or die'. It was supposed to be a big villain later on. The PCs decided to go after it really early (level 2ish, I think) to be big bad heroes so, yeah, they REPEATEDLY fought it. Multiple times. The drgaon had lots of fun killing them, scaring them off, looting them, making slaves/servants of various PCs, etc., etc. Sadly, campaign ended before they can get any real success against the drgaon but fun times (for me and the drgaon lol).

Anyways, dragons can be early to mid level enemies IF DONE RIGHT. Most game developers are NOT the best DMs, though.

Lambach

Arcane
Basic is unfortunately what WOTC were going for with 5e.

I imagine 5e makes it easier for the poor ol' DM to do his job. I've never done so myself, but I shudder to think what horrors DMs face when running high-level 3.5 campaigns, with a billion active effects they need to keep tabs on and a million actions happening per round.

I must admit, I do like some of the ideas in 5e. Bounded accuracy (attack and AC not growing dramatically), is not a terrible idea for instance as it prevents the exponential growth of both and makes bonuses to either very valuable.

Ability score caps and limited power growth within class are pretty cancerous though.
I've been feeling a bit mixed about it too, and I THINK I like the general theory behind it. It seems like they're trying to "Squish" D&D, making lower levels more powerful and impactful and lessening the strength of higher levels so you get less "Welp I've got a few levels on you so I'm a walking god" syndrome. The casualty of that is character building seems relatively plain, but the benefit is... I hesitate to say a more believable world, but it slightly is. It's hard for me to completely judge it since Solasta's my first and only exposure to 5e and I'm not sure what are strictly Solasta decisions/mechanics and what's RAW, but magic items don't seem super common and they're more "Important". Finding a +1 sword matters more when your to-hit increases so slowly, for example. The more I play the more I do agree with Meredoth on evocation seeming wildly superior to basically all other spells though, which if THAT'S how 5e handles it then it's a damn shame. But the save DC and effectiveness of controlling spells seems pretty damn worthless compared to just nuking from orbit with scorching ray and one-shotting someone, which is no doubt even more obscene if you're playing a shocker.

All this is also just talking about the combat mechanics, 5e does seem questionable for roleplaying and fluff given how sidelined skills are. D&D's always been much more on the combatfag rather than storyfag side of things historically but 5e's looking like a really harsh example. Buuuuuuut, that also goes along with the "Squish" thing where DC's are a bit more universal now rather than ramping up to goofy levels. Which is a decent idea, even though it makes skills are a little more universal and people who are focused on a skill are just a bit better at it. But since ideally you're playing D&D with rollplayers instead of roleplayers and everyone's just wanting to drink soda and talk bullshit while chucking dice that's probably fine. Has been surprising though since I haven't had anything to do with 4th edition or 5th edition.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Basic is unfortunately what WOTC were going for with 5e.

I imagine 5e makes it easier for the poor ol' DM to do his job. I've never done so myself, but I shudder to think what horrors DMs face when running high-level 3.5 campaigns, with a billion active effects they need to keep tabs on a million actions happening per round.

It isn't that bad most of the time in all honesty. It depends heavily on what characters people are playing.

Also if you're doing it remotely with apps like Roll20 or Fantasygrounds and trust your players, most of them will just set up buffs on their sheets that auto calc things. That reduces the DM headache quite significantly.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom