Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

V_K

Arcane
I liked it, because it was neat, if you keep inside the box of "what the level designer intended"
Now I wonder actually whether you can "cheat" this puzzle in another way:
namely, by giving everyone spider climb and standing on the wall plates without rotating the platform.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I thought of that too, but I was too irritated to put it into action. I might do that on a replay. Technically though, you should be able to, and it would be a plus to the game if you could, and a minus if you couldn't.

I don't know what's more funny. The fact that our brave adventures didn't think about chopping mythical creature head during their scouting mission or the fact that during the meeting one of the council members practically shouts :"Nooo, I am not SORAK" :)

Saravan

Savant
I don't know what's more funny. The fact that our brave adventures didn't think about chopping mythical creature head during their scouting mission or the fact that during the meeting one of the council members practically shouts :"Nooo, I am not SORAK" :)

The funniest shit so far, is when you greet a dwarf near the entrance gate of a certain city. And he starts talking to you with the highest pitched voice you will probably encounter in all of the game. It was so out of place and absurd that I absolutely died of laughter.

V_K

Arcane
a minus if you couldn't.
Unlike fly not working, I wouldn't hold that against the dev, it's actually kinda more logical for it not to work
in principle, you need gravity to press the pressure plate, and that only works in one direction, irrespective of spider climbing
But would be fun if it did work.

TumblingTorin

Educated
Man, that reminds of one of my earlier D&D games I played before when I was young. We were tasked to kill the wererat king. So we went to the mountains to find it's lair, we encounter a group of them with the biggest wererat we ever seen. After a grueling fight, with one of us inflicted with filth fever, we went to the quest giver to give our report. He asked for proof and we all went "oh shit!" and went back to chop off the head of the biggest one, thankful our DM was merciful and had the bodies still there. When we brought it back, the quest giver said, "That's not the wererat king." We realized we never asked what the wererat king looked liked.
Yeah... That's why the DM mercifully left the bodies there... To laugh at us later. This taught me the valuable lesson of asking a ton of questions when I get a quest in the future.

Long story short, people can be that retarded. I should know.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The funniest shit so far, is when you greet a dwarf near the entrance gate of a certain city. And he starts talking to you with the highest pitched voice you will probably encounter in all of the game. It was so out of place and absurd that I absolutely died of laughter.
The fun part of that scene is that the angle of the shot is eye-level, and, for those that don't know this, eye-level shots are usually used in comedy, so I was fully expecting a Naked Gun gag coming. Whoever made this game really is a combat-fag. Like... not a combat-loving person. Straight-up combatfag, where they don't even know the basics of cinematography. :lol:

Kabas

Arcane
Patron
"OH NO! It's a GIANT DEEP SPIDER! What are we going to do without the light!?" - shouts the battle cleric who was constantly casting daylight spell the entire game.
*Battle cleric casts daylight*
*Big spider suprised*
*Paladin of the motherland smites the everliving shit out of the spider*
*Darkweaver rogue finishes spider off with a single sneak attack*
"I will never make fun of people who say 'anything is possible in the badlands' ever again" - says shock arcanist who didn't even get the chance to cast anything of importance
I think choosing a default difficulty was a mistake. The only time my characters got seriously hurt was that one time when a goblin shaman and his gang caught my party asleep and casted a lightning bolt.
Man, that reminds of one of my earlier D&D games I played before when I was young. We were tasked to kill the wererat king. So we went to the mountains to find it's lair, we encounter a group of them with the biggest wererat we ever seen. After a grueling fight, with one of us inflicted with filth fever, we went to the quest giver to give our report. He asked for proof and we all went "oh shit!" and went back to chop off the head of the biggest one, thankful our DM was merciful and had the bodies still there. When we brought it back, the quest giver said, "That's not the wererat king." We realized we never asked what the wererat king looked liked.
Yeah... That's why the DM mercifully left the bodies there... To laugh at us later. This taught me the valuable lesson of asking a ton of questions when I get a quest in the future.

Long story short, people can be that retarded. I should know.
I was thinking something similar when i first witnessed this scene. I could almost hear an awkward nerd who plays my character going "oh shit!" the moment they asked for a sorak head.

Removal

Scholar
Can someone summarize this game, good combat + mundane story/world + low lvl cap / slow progression?
progression is actually pretty quick, you'll blow through to level 6 by the time you get the first mcguffin for your crown of doom if you're doing the optional side quests(which are all super easy)

jackofshadows

Magister
I mean not only the dumb step on the glowing tiles stuff, but also the exploration mini puzzles. Fly up ledges, jump over chasms, shoot stones out of walls to drain water out of ponds, that stuff. None of it racks your brain, but I think it is a cute way to break up the pacing off the game.
I agree that it's a nice way to diversify gameplay but if only they did it in a more intricate fashion like you should've thought about from which angle to push what, was allowed to make mistakes etc. Funny that you mentioned shotting stones I was impressed when realized that I can shoot down stone columns with a simple arrow. Like, what the fuck? Anyway, to me it falls more into the exploration category hence the confusion. Doesn't really matter where to put it, exactly.
TB being intrinsically better than rtwp is a hill I am willing to fight on. I doubt I will die on it, given how popular turn based is on this forum.
Nah, I wasn't trying to start yet another TB vs RTwP session around here, but it's subjective even in this particular comparison context. I, for one, not sure if IWD would've been a better game with TB. But I must say, even DnD core aside, TB suits Solasta just fine given its small scope of well, everything.
I think choosing a default dificulty was a mistake.
Obviously. Default clearly ment for casuals and for fantadomat to say that it's 'too easy' afterwards.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm very happy that the devs made their game for me and not for you fellows, because I am getting my ass handed to me again on default difficulty, by the boss fight at the end of the lava forest dungeon. Once again they've given the boss a Heightened Greater Dick Move, only this time instead of dark veil it's an instant TPK poison breath. It doesn't help that you have to repeat the first stage of the fight each time you die.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm very happy that the devs made their game for me and not for you fellows, because I am getting my ass handed to me again on default difficulty, by the boss fight at the end of the lava forest dungeon. Once again they've given the boss a Heightened Greater Dick Move, only this time instead of dark veil it's an instant TPK poison breath. It doesn't help that you have to repeat the first stage of the fight each time you die.
Just to be sure: what boss are we talking about?

V_K, I tried doing something interesting with the editor, but for now either the various activators don't work properly or a master's degree in software engineering isn't enough to understand how to use them. The only one that seems to be working as intended is the symmetric activator.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Elf with the flamboyant black dude voice who gets really upset about something I dunno I don't really pay attention, then turns into a dragon when you take down his forcefield by disabling four statues. Is there more than one boss?

Wait, don't answer.

Self-Ejected

Thac0

Time Mage
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture

Do you have an unidentified belt in your inventory? Stage before had Belt of Dwarvenkind with poison resistance in there.
Otherwise post party.
If bad comes to worse just savescum, you cna fully save during combat, and RNG being seeded is an option, not a default. So if you forsake honor your can scum a miss into a hit and vice versa.

Darkwind

Liturgist
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is.
It was clear from the start, but this thing PALES in comparison to the module editor of KotC 2.

I mystified why some of you have such a hard on for this game. It is ----nothing---- like Solasta, BG3, etc. It is a fucking token based 2D map like Roll20 minus the awesomeness of multiplayer which is what makes Roll20 what it is. It may have a better map editor but that is because sprite based tokens from 1988 are 'somewhat easier' (read: incomparably easier) to manipulate than 3D graphics engines. You and Meredoth need to get a room with this game alone and have a 3 way you are pimping it like its the 'next best thing' and it belongs in the same category as Cleve Blakemore's Grimoire. Give it a rest.

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
It was clear from the start, but this thing PALES in comparison to the module editor of KotC 2.

I mystified why some of you have such a hard on for this game. It is ----nothing---- like Solasta, BG3, etc. It is a fucking token based 2D map like Roll20 minus the awesomeness of multiplayer which is what makes Roll20 what it is. It may have a better map editor but that is because sprite based tokens from 1988 are 'somewhat easier' (read: incomparably easier) to manipulate than 3D graphics engines. You and Meredoth need to get a room with this game alone and have a 3 way you are pimping it like its the 'next best thing' and it belongs in the same category as Cleve Blakemore's Grimoire. Give it a rest.
I LITERALLY just said that the editor is better.

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron

Do you have an unidentified belt in your inventory? Stage before had Belt of Dwarvenkind with poison resistance in there.
Otherwise post party.
If bad comes to worse just savescum, you cna fully save during combat, and RNG being seeded is an option, not a default. So if you forsake honor your can scum a miss into a hit and vice versa.
Oi! I ain't no yellow-bellied savescummer, no siree.
Besides, I've only tried it four or five times so far, and it went down to the wire on two of those occasions. I'm not saying it's unbeatable, just that I can't relate to your complaints about the difficulty.

I don't think I have that belt, no. Then again, with the lack of feedback combined with autoequipping shenanigans, I frequently discover that I'm wearing equipment that I have no recollection of picking up. So who knows.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
I fought the Ogres and it made me realize how useless my spell selection was. Couldn't Charm, because apparently Ogres aren't humanoids. Couldn't Levitate, because they're so fat. Ray of Enfeeblement? Blindness? Good luck with that - I doubt they have problems rolling a CON save.

The best I could do was put +AC for my priest and paladin and hope they miss, while I chip away their armor. By the way, Sleep is very problematic in use, because I can't tell if enemies have to be fully in range or being halfway in the border will get them affected.
Charm person only works on humanoids of approximately human size or smaller in original D&D, Holmes D&D, AD&D 1st edition, and AD&D 2nd edition; although B/X 1981 D&D and Mentzer BECMI D&D explicitly expanded the size range to include ogres. Solasta is actually consistent with the dominant view here.

Sleep should be the workhorse spell for low-level mages, and can affect monsters up to 4HD+1 (i.e. ogres), but its effect seems to have been heavily nerfed in Solasta. :argh:

He should also have found a few rings of poison resistance, although perhaps that depends on random treasure rolls. :M

NJClaw

OoOoOoOoOoh
Patron
Elf with the flamboyant black dude voice who gets really upset about something I dunno I don't really pay attention, then turns into a dragon when you take down his forcefield by disabling four statues. Is there more than one boss?

Wait, don't answer.
I wasn't sure he could breathe poison, I only saw him use his standard attacks and that whirlwind thing that hits everyone around him. Now I understand why the game shoves so many anti-poison items down your throat (probably two or three rings/amulets that give resistance and a cloak that gives outright immunity). Isn't his breath a cone/line or something? Keeping a single character on each side should be enough to mitigate the damage. If it's an AoE centered on him, well, he is really gay then.

At what level are you fighting him? I finished the volcano first and I already completed all the side quests, so by the end of the lava forest I had a level 10 party, but if you ignore all the quests from the bulletin board and choose to explore the lava forest before the volcano you could face him even before reaching level 9 and that sounds painful.

Sleep should be the workhorse spell for low-level mages, and can affect monsters up to 4HD+1 (i.e. ogres) but its effect seems to have been heavily nerfed in Solasta.
In this edition, Sleep checks the creatures' (current, not maximum) hit points instead of their HD, so you can't affect an ogre at full HP, but you can put him to sleep once you damage him a little bit. On a positive note, now Sleep no longer allows the saving throw introduced in 3.x

Strange Fellow

Peculiar
Patron
Now I understand why the game shoves so many anti-poison items down your throat (probably two or three rings/amulets that give resistance and a cloak that gives outright immunity).
I haven't found any items that give poison resistance, except for the wand that you get for solving the Ego pressure plate "puzzle".
Isn't his breath a cone/line or something? Keeping a single character on each side should be enough to mitigate the damage.
He jumps over to one side of the arena, then sprays everything. I don't think there's anywhere you can stand that lets you to escape it.
At what level are you fighting him? I finished the volcano first and I already completed all the side quests, so by the end of the lava forest I had a level 10 party, but if you ignore all the quests from the bulletin board and choose to explore the lava forest before the volcano you could face him even before reaching level 9 and that sounds painful.
My party is level 7 IIRC. If the volcano is easier, that might explain it.

- With verticality and lighting combat really feels like something new and fresh. Using levitate to protect my wizard from engagement feels great. The encounter design is also good, it fully uses verticality and lighting, at lest so far.
- Setting the flying lizard priest on fire to break it's concentration, make it fall down, prone and to finish it up in one turn while it lies down was very satisfying, even if I did it by mistake :)
- Dislike camera, I got confused a few times about what is happening because of it. I think the camera has a problem with verticality. Objects/people feel small in Solasta.
- Choosing loremaster as a wizard kit was a very bad choice. All I get from it is a little of mediocre lore and a small xp bonus :) I was wrong to not chose the class that improves casting level on some spells
- Who in the right mind designs UI without allowing to cancel/dismiss menu with a right mouse click?
- For christ sake, I want to have an animation slider. I can use cheat engine, but can't just devs include it as a part of a normal game? Lack of the slider is also annoying outside the combat when the game wants me to do jumping and pseudo platforming and I want so speed it up.

I dislike how wizards now have only a little less hp than other classes and how fire bolt cantrip is better than a lot of melee weapons. Be honest with me : did they flatten the power difference on the other side of leveling curve and blowing up things on higher levels will be less fun than in previous editions?

Last edited:

polo

Magister
Any suggestion on builds? Im starting this tomorrow

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom