Official RPG Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister - 5E OGL turn-based RPG with verticality and dynamic environments

Discussion in 'General RPG Discussion' started by whydoibother, May 27, 2021.

1. V_K Arcane

V_K
    It's not specifically scripted to disallow flying though, it's just that flying in the game generally doesn't work over bottomless pits (see above). It's the same issue in Tirmarian Tower, for example, which doesn't have any puzzles to be overcome by flying. It actually gets really funny there: you need Fly to reach the tower itself, but then you need to have a short rest because the flying character cannot reach the central platform inside.

Not quite true, it's possible to have mechanical and inventory-based puzzles as well. A Grimrock-style dungeon would be very doable with what the editor can do already.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Now I wonder actually whether you can "cheat" this puzzle in another way:
    Show Spoiler
    namely, by giving everyone spider climb and standing on the wall plates without rotating the platform.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I thought of that too, but I was too irritated to put it into action. I might do that on a replay. Technically though, you should be able to, and it would be a plus to the game if you could, and a minus if you couldn't.

^ Top  
  4. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    I don't know what's more funny. The fact that our brave adventures didn't think about chopping mythical creature head during their scouting mission or the fact that during the meeting one of the council members practically shouts :"Nooo, I am not SORAK" :)

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Saravan Savant

Saravan
    The funniest shit so far, is when you greet a dwarf near the entrance gate of a certain city. And he starts talking to you with the highest pitched voice you will probably encounter in all of the game. It was so out of place and absurd that I absolutely died of laughter.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Larianshill Scholar

Larianshill
    This plot point was so retarded, I think I may have actually lost IQ points after being subjected to it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    ^ Top  
  7. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Unlike fly not working, I wouldn't hold that against the dev, it's actually kinda more logical for it not to work
    Show Spoiler
    in principle, you need gravity to press the pressure plate, and that only works in one direction, irrespective of spider climbing

But would be fun if it did work.

^ Top  
  8. TumblingTorin Educated

TumblingTorin
    Man, that reminds of one of my earlier D&D games I played before when I was young. We were tasked to kill the wererat king. So we went to the mountains to find it's lair, we encounter a group of them with the biggest wererat we ever seen. After a grueling fight, with one of us inflicted with filth fever, we went to the quest giver to give our report. He asked for proof and we all went "oh shit!" and went back to chop off the head of the biggest one, thankful our DM was merciful and had the bodies still there. When we brought it back, the quest giver said, "That's not the wererat king." We realized we never asked what the wererat king looked liked.
    Yeah... That's why the DM mercifully left the bodies there... To laugh at us later. This taught me the valuable lesson of asking a ton of questions when I get a quest in the future.

Long story short, people can be that retarded. I should know.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. sorinmask Just like Yves, I chase tales. Patron

sorinmask
    Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    The fun part of that scene is that the angle of the shot is eye-level, and, for those that don't know this, eye-level shots are usually used in comedy, so I was fully expecting a Naked Gun gag coming. Whoever made this game really is a combat-fag. Like... not a combat-loving person. Straight-up combatfag, where they don't even know the basics of cinematography. :lol:

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Kabas Erudite Patron

Kabas
    I think choosing a default difficulty was a mistake. The only time my characters got seriously hurt was that one time when a goblin shaman and his gang caught my party asleep and casted a lightning bolt.
    I was thinking something similar when i first witnessed this scene. I could almost hear an awkward nerd who plays my character going "oh shit!" the moment they asked for a sorak head.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Removal Learned

Removal
    progression is actually pretty quick, you'll blow through to level 6 by the time you get the first mcguffin for your crown of doom if you're doing the optional side quests(which are all super easy)

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. jackofshadows Cipher

jackofshadows
    I agree that it's a nice way to diversify gameplay but if only they did it in a more intricate fashion like you should've thought about from which angle to push what, was allowed to make mistakes etc. Funny that you mentioned shotting stones I was impressed when realized that I can shoot down stone columns with a simple arrow. Like, what the fuck? Anyway, to me it falls more into the exploration category hence the confusion. Doesn't really matter where to put it, exactly.
    Nah, I wasn't trying to start yet another TB vs RTwP session around here, but it's subjective even in this particular comparison context. I, for one, not sure if IWD would've been a better game with TB. But I must say, even DnD core aside, TB suits Solasta just fine given its small scope of well, everything.
    Obviously. Default clearly ment for casuals and for fantadomat to say that it's 'too easy' afterwards.

^ Top  
  13. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    I'm very happy that the devs made their game for me and not for you fellows, because I am getting my ass handed to me again on default difficulty, by the boss fight at the end of the lava forest dungeon. Once again they've given the boss a Heightened Greater Dick Move, only this time instead of dark veil it's an instant TPK poison breath. It doesn't help that you have to repeat the first stage of the fight each time you die.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • consume product consume product x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Pathfinder: Kingmaker
    I'm Ridin' with Biden I'm Ridin' with Biden
    Just to be sure: what boss are we talking about?

V_K, I tried doing something interesting with the editor, but for now either the various activators don't work properly or a master's degree in software engineering isn't enough to understand how to use them. The only one that seems to be working as intended is the symmetric activator.

^ Top  
  15. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    Show Spoiler
    Elf with the flamboyant black dude voice who gets really upset about something I dunno I don't really pay attention, then turns into a dragon when you take down his forcefield by disabling four statues. Is there more than one boss?

Wait, don't answer.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Thac0 JRPG ambassador Patron

Thac0
    Do you have an unidentified belt in your inventory? Stage before had Belt of Dwarvenkind with poison resistance in there.
    Otherwise post party.
    If bad comes to worse just savescum, you cna fully save during combat, and RNG being seeded is an option, not a default. So if you forsake honor your can scum a miss into a hit and vice versa.

• Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Darkwind Learned Patron

Darkwind
    Strap Yourselves In
    I mystified why some of you have such a hard on for this game. It is ----nothing---- like Solasta, BG3, etc. It is a fucking token based 2D map like Roll20 minus the awesomeness of multiplayer which is what makes Roll20 what it is. It may have a better map editor but that is because sprite based tokens from 1988 are 'somewhat easier' (read: incomparably easier) to manipulate than 3D graphics engines. You and Meredoth need to get a room with this game alone and have a 3 way you are pimping it like its the 'next best thing' and it belongs in the same category as Cleve Blakemore's Grimoire. Give it a rest.

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite Grab the minigun, there are demons here to smite x 1
    • what? what? x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    I LITERALLY just said that the editor is better.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    Oi! I ain't no yellow-bellied savescummer, no siree.
    Besides, I've only tried it four or five times so far, and it went down to the wire on two of those occasions. I'm not saying it's unbeatable, just that I can't relate to your complaints about the difficulty.

I don't think I have that belt, no. Then again, with the lack of feedback combined with autoequipping shenanigans, I frequently discover that I'm wearing equipment that I have no recollection of picking up. So who knows.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed Duke of Banville Zo Kath Ra Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Charm person only works on humanoids of approximately human size or smaller in original D&D, Holmes D&D, AD&D 1st edition, and AD&D 2nd edition; although B/X 1981 D&D and Mentzer BECMI D&D explicitly expanded the size range to include ogres. Solasta is actually consistent with the dominant view here.

Sleep should be the workhorse spell for low-level mages, and can affect monsters up to 4HD+1 (i.e. ogres), but its effect seems to have been heavily nerfed in Solasta. :argh:

He should also have found a few rings of poison resistance, although perhaps that depends on random treasure rolls. :M

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    I wasn't sure he could breathe poison, I only saw him use his standard attacks and that whirlwind thing that hits everyone around him. Now I understand why the game shoves so many anti-poison items down your throat (probably two or three rings/amulets that give resistance and a cloak that gives outright immunity). Isn't his breath a cone/line or something? Keeping a single character on each side should be enough to mitigate the damage. If it's an AoE centered on him, well, he is really gay then.

At what level are you fighting him? I finished the volcano first and I already completed all the side quests, so by the end of the lava forest I had a level 10 party, but if you ignore all the quests from the bulletin board and choose to explore the lava forest before the volcano you could face him even before reaching level 9 and that sounds painful.

In this edition, Sleep checks the creatures' (current, not maximum) hit points instead of their HD, so you can't affect an ogre at full HP, but you can put him to sleep once you damage him a little bit. On a positive note, now Sleep no longer allows the saving throw introduced in 3.x

^ Top  
  22. Strange Fellow Peculiar Patron Sad Loser

Strange Fellow
    I haven't found any items that give poison resistance, except for the wand that you get for solving the Ego pressure plate "puzzle".
    He jumps over to one side of the arena, then sprays everything. I don't think there's anywhere you can stand that lets you to escape it.
    My party is level 7 IIRC. If the volcano is easier, that might explain it.

• Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. hellbent Augur

hellbent
    GOG has the 1.0.18 fix up now. They're slow to post updates, like M$.

^ Top  
  24. NJClaw OoOoOoOoOoh Patron

NJClaw
    Holy moly macaroni! No wonder he is doing unspeakable things to your ass.

The volcano is definitely easier. It was a bit devious on their part to present the two areas as equal alternatives.

• Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Jedi Master Radek Arcane

Jedi Master Radek
    - With verticality and lighting combat really feels like something new and fresh. Using levitate to protect my wizard from engagement feels great. The encounter design is also good, it fully uses verticality and lighting, at lest so far.
    - Setting the flying lizard priest on fire to break it's concentration, make it fall down, prone and to finish it up in one turn while it lies down was very satisfying, even if I did it by mistake :)
    - Dislike camera, I got confused a few times about what is happening because of it. I think the camera has a problem with verticality. Objects/people feel small in Solasta.
    - Choosing loremaster as a wizard kit was a very bad choice. All I get from it is a little of mediocre lore and a small xp bonus :) I was wrong to not chose the class that improves casting level on some spells
    - Who in the right mind designs UI without allowing to cancel/dismiss menu with a right mouse click?
    - For christ sake, I want to have an animation slider. I can use cheat engine, but can't just devs include it as a part of a normal game? Lack of the slider is also annoying outside the combat when the game wants me to do jumping and pseudo platforming and I want so speed it up.

I dislike how wizards now have only a little less hp than other classes and how fire bolt cantrip is better than a lot of melee weapons. Be honest with me : did they flatten the power difference on the other side of leveling curve and blowing up things on higher levels will be less fun than in previous editions?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
    • Brofist x 3
    • Yes x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Begone thot! x 1
    ^ Top  

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.