Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The BG sneak attacks did >100 damage on lower HP pools, they are much better than this shit. You could also just run out of sight and HiS, easy with haste stacking. Or use Mislead.

Yep;.
Lilura blog said:
• Backstab damage = weapon roll [max 6] + weapon enchantment [3] + weapon specialization [4] + weapon damage bonus [9] * backstab level [4]
+ Strength bonus [14] = 102.

• Which would equate to 204 on a crit, but the above-screencapped 196 was my personal maximum on https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Backstab#:~:text=Baldur's Gate, Baldur's Gate II,targets in a single blow.

And on BG2, she managed to reach over 500 damage on a backstab, in a game where even adamantite golems has 80 hp.

In the PF games sneak attack is pretty much free.

Which is one of the PF:KM flaws.
Yeah,Lilura is such a good wifu,shame that she left......and we got a bunch of larianturds in her stead :argh::argh::argh: :negative:

Parabalus

Arcane
Which is one of the PF:KM flaws.

The wizard supremacist cries out in pain as he sees someone else clawing back a modicum of power.

In the PF games sneak attack is pretty much free. And in e.g. NwN1&2 you could SA every round with HiPS spam.

That's because the games have a dumbed down implementation of flanking rules. The tabletop has no such issue.

Tabletop has different issues, but there are non-combat uses for rogues there. Since that isn't in CRPGs it's ok to make them less trash on a different axis.

jungl

Augur
rogue doesnt seem that bad. Uncanny dodge makes them more tanky then everyone else. The sneak attack theoretically can hit for 30 damage at level 10.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
how the fuck you cancel levitating? I must wait for 9 minutes until expires to move that character?

Cryomancer

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
The wizard supremacist cries out in pain as he sees someone else clawing back a modicum of power.

Nope. And it affects casters too. I posted on kingmaker thread some time ago and if you do the math, is possible to easily dish over 600 damage with hellfire ray as a arcane trickster.

A lv cap arcane trickster could technically hit for over 600 damage with hellfire ray in a single turn.

Hellfire ray + empower metamagic = 3 rays, every ray hits for 19d6(15d6 + 4d6 from specialization) + 9d6 from empower + 7d6 from sneak attack + 1d6 from precision strike = 36d6 so each ray hits for 36~216 damage and we have 3 of them resulting 108~648 damage if the 3 hits.

I can do the math for maximized too.

A good sneak with anti mage feat will fuck up any wiz.

Nope if I have my stokeskin, mirror image and other buffs. :P

IMO, rogues at upper mid levels should have insta death poisons and nasty thing like that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Nope if I have my stokeskin, mirror image and other buffs.
:hmmm:
Yeah because you start combat with every single buff,pretty big if. Also scrolls of dispel or some magical item that have it,there were some pretty good weapons that have dispel on attack.

Parabalus

Arcane

Nope. And it affects casters too. I posted on kingmaker thread some time ago and if you do the math, is possible to easily dish over 600 damage with hellfire ray as a arcane trickster.

A lv cap arcane trickster could technically hit for over 600 damage with hellfire ray in a single turn.

Hellfire ray + empower metamagic = 3 rays, every ray hits for 19d6(15d6 + 4d6 from specialization) + 9d6 from empower + 7d6 from sneak attack + 1d6 from precision strike = 36d6 so each ray hits for 36~216 damage and we have 3 of them resulting 108~648 damage if the 3 hits.

I can do the math for maximized too.

A good sneak with anti mage feat will fuck up any wiz.

Nope if I have my stokeskin, mirror image and other buffs. :P

IMO, rogues at upper mid levels should have insta death poisons and nasty thing like that.

You can do similar in an AoE with the storm spells as ten level AT, doesn't even need to roll to hit.

Depending on the IE gameversion/mods poisons could bypass both stoneskin and mirror image.

Shrimp

Arbiter
Just finished the game. Clocked in at about 40 hours according to Steam, but in reality it's probably closer to 35 since I often tabbed out or just had the game running in the background while I was doing something else.
I'll rate it an okay out of 10; it's pretty mediocre. Fortunately it's on the good end of the mediocre spectrum so I'd still recommend it to people who are interested in playing it although the €40 price tag does seem a bit steep if you intend to buy it.

The last time I played it was during its first early access build which I think was in October or November last year. I expected it to be a lot more polished now that it got its full release and that was a big mistake. It's not like the game crashes or becomes unresponsive, but at times it really felt like I was playing a prototype rather than a finished game. I did run into a number of bugs though, many of which seem like something that far too easily slipped through QA. Assuming the game had any QA to begin with.
Right from the beginning they had said that story or graphics wouldn't be their main focus and I'm fine with that since the combat is where the game gets a chance to shine. The story is very linear and it doesn't pretend not to be either. Graphics are honestly fine since you'll be spending most of the game zoomed out, but the character faces are ugly as hell whenever they show up in the cutscenes.
If you want to compare the combat to any of the other CRPGs released in the same time frame the most obvious comparison would be BG3 and Solasta absolutely blows that game out of water in that department. Larian should honestly feel embarrassed that a game of this quality (or lack of thereof) made by such a small studio (15-20 people according to their website) can have combat that's miles ahead of what a AAA studio with a budget of several millions can create. Combat did feel like it got progressively easier once I got halfway through the game, but FWIW I made sure to do side quests when they appeared so I eventually ended up outscaling the locations the main story took me to.

The lack of classes will definitely hurt the game's replayability since trying out new builds is just about the only reason to replay the game due to its otherwise very linear nature. For a game that sells itself on essentially being a 5e combat simulator it really needs more than just six classes. I'll replay it once they add Sorcerer and see how it ends up changing the game. It'll also give me a chance to use a Paladin and Ranger since I didn't use either of those two in my one playthrough. I've read that Paladins apparently are absolute monsters in this game so I suppose I'll have that to look forward to. I didn't really try the dungeon maker or any of the community made levels so I can't comment on those.

I wonder what's next for the studio once they finish patching up the game. I imagine they gained a lot of valuable experience from making this title and I'm curious to see what they could end up making in the future.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
In the PF games sneak attack is pretty much free. And in e.g. NwN1&2 you could SA every round with HiPS spam.

That's because the games have a dumbed down implementation of flanking rules. The tabletop has no such issue.

You were right in the first place. Sneak dice were a release day meme that got everyone off-track chasing them.

As usual fantadomat talking out of his ass with no idea what he’s talking about.

Every game ever: hurr, durr, Ranger suxxors no DPS slobber

Me: hmmm, this class is really good, what was everyone talking about?

The weird thing is that it’s the opposite in MMOs.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

You were right in the first place. Sneak dice were a release day meme that got everyone off-track chasing them.

As usual fantadomat talking out of his ass with no idea what he’s talking about.

Don't bother me with your incohesive retardations aka fuck off ya cunt!

Parabalus

Arcane

It's not just a meme if it works.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Yeah, that was a dumb phase.

I remember people on release day saying to waste a whole level dip into Rogue for a whole 1d6 sneak dice on martials. Ignoring all the math on things like BAB and Power attack scaling that would make that level a complete waste in the long term.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

It's just a meme if it works.
Ranger is good in kingmaker,here meh. Rogue is better than ranger for sure,in solasta. Desicuntarious is just ranger fanatic and really butthurt about rogues for some reason. Which is weird since they have very different roles in a decent rpg. In soylasta every class is boring and not worth arguing who is better for what.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
In soylasta every class is boring and not worth arguing who is better for what.

In every 5E game.

----

I was hyped for Solasta, but honestly become bored on the second half of the game. Not saying that Solasta is a bad game, only that I prefer something more "old school"
Can't wait for baldur's gape 3 to release so i could shit post with passions. And yeah 5e is total garbage,only mentally deficient people could like it.

Parabalus

Arcane

Ranger is good in kingmaker,here meh. Rogue is better than ranger for sure. Desicuntarious is just ranger fanatic and really butthurt about rogues for some reason. Which is weird since they have very different roles in a decent rpg. In soylasta every class is boring and not worth arguing who is better for what.

How is rogue better?

SA vs 2nd attack, latter wins.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I never had problem with the resting systems.
PoE screens were definite proof.
That was a good random image i posted :). But actually i was just disabling the whole supply limit for resting. Still i do rest when i am before a boss or when i am nearly dying. Restrictive resting is just a waste of time in me book. It is an restriction because devs can't make a good encounter or a dungeon. IWD games didn't need restricted buffs and resting and were 10 times harder than poe.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

Ranger is good in kingmaker,here meh. Rogue is better than ranger for sure. Desicuntarious is just ranger fanatic and really butthurt about rogues for some reason. Which is weird since they have very different roles in a decent rpg. In soylasta every class is boring and not worth arguing who is better for what.

How is rogue better?

SA vs 2nd attack, latter wins.
:deathclaw:
Ahhh the rogue have an offhand attack which is a second attack in reality. Still could do like 20 damage with it.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Why would I be butthurt about some idiot showing his ass?

My favorite class in all of P:K is Eldritch Scoundrel. I logged on to the Kotex in the first place to try to convince people to take more Rogue levels.

Doesn’t change the fact that Ekun could solo the whole goddamned game and that making Amiri a Ranger doubles her effectiveness. By the end of the game she’s the most dominant presence both teamwise and in terms of personally destroying everything.

Look you show up bragging about your Kender Mage owning DQK Dorateen is gonna show up and school your deluded ass. For P:K that’s my job and my God you dipshits have absolutely no filter.

Reinhardt

Arcane
This thread made me want to play my lvl 1 lvl 20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20/20 knifemaster, fighter, paladin, monk, vivisector, sword saint and all other melee classes samurai ninja gurl in kangmaker again.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo my rogue did:

First attack had: 1d8+1d6 necro+ 1d4 reocuring damage +5 from dex +4 i believe from prof +5d6 sneak. Which is max of 57 and 1d4 per round, then my off hand did 1d8+1 2d6+1 necro + 5 dex and don't remember if prof was possible for offhand, so it ends up at max of 27 damage. So total possible per round of attack was 84 damage per round. On top of that you have a uncanny dodge and another defensive skill that i don't remember.

So what is the pure damage of ranger ? The best bow was storm something and had 1d8 + 1d6 electrical or something similar.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom