Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Solasta: Crown of the Magister Thread - now with Palace of Ice sequel DLC

Reinhardt

Arcane
Maybe i will add lvl 20 kineticist to the mix.

Shrimp

Arbiter

jackofshadows

Magister
It's ok until the warrior classes get the 2nd attack, then the rogue gets rekt.
It seems so on 5 lvl yes, but I take it you didn't hit the level cup yet.

Check this small bonus damage from applying poisoned status by darkweaver:
AED84C2750613933341E9ADC98912A43B505971A

Above it you can see his usual/average SA damage (18 piercing) - that basically like the second attack by fighter if not better. And you can always either have 2 attempts to utilise SA in melee or with advantage from stealth with bow even if it means to miss this sweet potential bonus damage.

Parabalus

Arcane
Sooo my rogue did:

First attack had: 1d8+1d6 necro+ 1d4 reocuring damage +5 from dex +4 i believe from prof +5d6 sneak. Which is max of 57 and 1d4 per round, then my off hand did 1d8+1 2d6+1 necro + 5 dex and don't remember if prof was possible for offhand, so it ends up at max of 27 damage. So total possible per round of attack was 84 damage per round. On top of that you have a uncanny dodge and another defensive skill that i don't remember.

So what is the pure damage of ranger ? The best bow was storm something and had 1d8 + 1d6 electrical or something similar.

Prof isn't added to damage and rogues can't add attribute bonus to damage with the off hand, need TWF for that, which ranger has.

With the same weapons it comes down to SA 5d6 vs 10+1d8+1d6, latter wins on average (but you'd obviously swap OH and MH, dunno why you have a stronger oh even on rogue, do you never haste him?).

But if you use the greataxe of sharpness it's over for the rogue.

Biggest issue is you won't sneak attack every round, especially since the rogue often wins on initiative.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Sooo my rogue did:

First attack had: 1d8+1d6 necro+ 1d4 reocuring damage +5 from dex +4 i believe from prof +5d6 sneak. Which is max of 57 and 1d4 per round, then my off hand did 1d8+1 2d6+1 necro + 5 dex and don't remember if prof was possible for offhand, so it ends up at max of 27 damage. So total possible per round of attack was 84 damage per round. On top of that you have a uncanny dodge and another defensive skill that i don't remember.

So what is the pure damage of ranger ? The best bow was storm something and had 1d8 + 1d6 electrical or something similar.

Prof isn't added to damage and rogues can't add attribute bonus to damage with the off hand, need TWF for that, which ranger has.

With the same weapons it comes down to SA 5d6 vs 5+1d8+1d6, latter wins on average (but you'd obviously swap OH and MH, dunno why you have a stronger oh even on rogue, do you never haste him?).

But if you use the greataxe of sharpness it's over for the rogue.

Biggest issue is you won't sneak attack every round, especially since the rogue often wins on initiative.
:hmmm:
Why are coming up with half arsed excuses? Never argued that rogue is better than a pure fighter,they are pretty equal in that regard. Both of them have dual wielding,i just took the feat that allows two rapier at once. Also dex bonus is counted in off hand attacks but prof not. Also the rogue could use the best longbow in the game same as ranger. A pure fighter build could do 3 attacks per round and could get two more if it uses the surge. Also what do you mean it doesn't use it every round? All you need of sneak attack is advantage,you could just park some other melee next to the enemy and get it. You have to be pretty daft to not get sneak in this game. If you don't have chance for melee advantage,just get the wiz to cast levitation and use the bow for high advantage. Also what same weapons??? Rangers and rogues use different weapons and they have different stats lol. Oh and initiative is random,most of the time me rogue had low initiative,aghh weird shit happens :).

So what is the damage capacity of a ranger per round?

Parabalus

Arcane
Just keep him in sneak. There's also scripted fights of course, that's one of the reasons why they're annoying.

But most fights are scripted, especially later on.

In the lava forest ATM and all fights are you getting ambushed, even surrounded so you can't stealth in the first round.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Just keep him in sneak. There's also scripted fights of course, that's one of the reasons why they're annoying.

In the lava forest ATM and all fights are you getting ambushed, even surrounded so you can't stealth in the first round.
Learn to rogue lol

Shrimp

Arbiter

You don't even need to be stealthed to trigger sneak attacks. If you have an allied character next to the enemy you're fighting you'll get a guaranteed sneak attack. Of course this won't work if you're trying to take down an isolated target, but it's easy to trigger in close quarters combat.

jackofshadows

Magister

Scripted fights are scripted: some shitty cut-scene, then BAM, your party has been teleported and the fight starts automatically if stealth was broken (it 9/10 times is unless it some kind of ninja party). When you see just some mobs crawling at you smash spacebar and start the fight first. Rogue should walk first at all times, that goes without saying - another reason why this game have to have speed slider or be played with cheat engine. Funny that even the devs themselves mention it in a random tip on loading screens (exploration in stealth mode).

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Not really,it could do a lot of damage,far better than ranger

For future reference, these are P:K rangers:

Rangers laying the wood.jpg

It's a crucial design goal for every game to have each class and subclass provide a unique and viably effective play experience. Calling this balense misses the point and trying to achieve that goal through mere balance/nerfs fails to on its own terms. A strength, perhaps the principal strength, of both PF games is the extent to which they knock that goal out of the park. I've confirmed this through extensive testing and shared my findings.

I hope the Solasta crew can get there too. They're off to a solid if uneven start.

Parabalus

Arcane

You don't even need to be stealthed to trigger sneak attacks. If you have an allied character next to the enemy you're fighting you'll get a guaranteed sneak attack. Of course this won't work if you're trying to take down an isolated target, but it's easy to trigger in close quarters combat.

Scripted fights are scripted: some shitty cut-scene, then BAM, your party has been teleported and the fight starts automatically if stealth was broken (it 9/10 times is unless it some kind of ninja party). When you see just some mobs crawling at you smash spacebar and start the fight first. Rogue should walk first at all times, that goes without saying - another reason why this game have to have speed slider or be played with cheat engine. Funny that even the devs themselves mention it in a random tip on loading screens (exploration in stealth mode).

All of those fights are you getting ambushed and surrounded, by isolated wall crawling/flying enemies.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Not really,it could do a lot of damage,far better than ranger

For future reference, these are P:K rangers:

It's a crucial design goal for every game to have each class and subclass provide a unique and viably effective play experience. Calling this balense misses the point and trying to achieve that goal through mere balance/nerfs fails to on its own terms. A strength, perhaps the principal strength, of both PF games is the extent to which they knock that goal out of the park. I've confirmed this through extensive testing and shared my findings.

I hope the Solasta crew can get there too. They're off to a solid if uneven start.
LoL did you got kicked out from the kingmaker thread and ended up a refugee in here? Clearly you just go on and on about kingmaker ignoring the simple fact that we are talking about soylasta here,but nah keep on going with your delusions.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
fanta it is you who keep bringing kangmaker in first place
:hmmm:
Is this some collective try to troll me or are you three that retarded? I only once said that rangers are good in kingmaker and then never brought it up again. You do know my fellow niggers that you could just check it up and see that you are lying?

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
LoL did you got kicked out from the kingmaker thread and ended up a refugee in here? Clearly you just go on and on about kingmaker ignoring the simple fact that we are talking about soylasta here,but nah keep on going with your delusions

Nope. I read this thread because I have high hopes for the system and am curious about 5E. You made an erroneous statement of the sort which seems to plague the understanding of P:K (and maybe every other game but that's the one I've thoroughly tested) on the Kotex. So I corrected it. We can’t improve games unless we get a clear picture of the games we already have.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom